ADVERTISEMENT

So. Miss Rocked by Re-alignment WOES

Jul 23, 2014
Eagle Rocked: Southern Miss, Conference USA, and the Dark Side of College Football Realignment
Rogelio V. Solis/AP
southern-miss-fan-tri.jpg

College Football

June 22, 2015
by Matt Hinton
Print

The worst season in the 100-year existence of Southern Mississippi football arrived without warning, as subtly as a trapdoor opening in the middle of an interstate. Before the bottom fell out in 2012, USM had been riding a historical high note: The 2011 Golden Eagles had set the school record for wins (12), claimed the Conference USA championship, and finished 20th in the final AP poll. They’d come within three points of a likely BCS bid and within nine of a perfect record while securing the program’s 18th consecutive winning season, a streak exceeded at the time by only Florida, Florida State, and Virginia Tech. No one would have confused the program that coach Larry Fedora bequeathed to his successor, Ellis Johnson, with a burgeoning powerhouse, but it was a reliable winner that had carved out a niche as one of the standard-bearers for mid-major stability.

Then the niche gave way to a crevasse. Despite typically high expectations to open 2012, Johnson’s Eagles endured a miserable, winless slog, becoming the only major college football team to ever plummet from 12 victories to 12 defeats in consecutive seasons. Johnson got the hook within days of the finale, followed by athletic director Jeff Hammond the following summer. But for a perennially overachieving program that had endured only eight losing seasons since the Great Depression, the damage has felt irrevocable. Johnson’s successor, Todd Monken, has managed a grand total of four wins in two seasons, losing the rest by an average margin of 27.35 points per game. Between Fedora’s last win, in the 2011 Hawaii Bowl, and Monken’s first, in the 2013 finale, the Eagles lost 23 consecutive games, the longest losing streak by a I-A/FBS team since the turn of the century, and one of the 10 worst skids on record.

“It was kind of a perfect storm,” says USM athletic director Bill McGillis, who arrived as Hammond’s successor in July 2013 to find a department in debt and in shock. “In terms of the people and the vibe, I think people were wounded. Southern Miss folks’ pride had been hurt, and probably people were a little bit shell-shocked.”

Even in the best of times, life for college football programs that reside outside of the sport’s major conferences can often feel like an exercise in humility, if not outright futility. Technically, all 128 teams that play FBS football are “major” outfits; in reality, only a few dozen in the Power 5 leagues really merit the distinction, and for the others, the worst of times can feel like an existential crisis. When an old-money team like Florida, Michigan, or Texas falls into a prolonged funk, the standing assumption is that it’s never more than a shrewd coaching hire and solid recruiting class or two away from turning the corner. Further down the food chain, though, a drought like the one that’s descended upon Southern Miss feels less like the inevitable cycle of rebuilding and rebounding and more like the beginning of a prolonged trip into the wilderness.

In an era of haves and have-nots, the abrupt collapse of one of the little guys could be seen as business as usual. In Southern Miss’s case, though, the decline has been compounded by the plate tectonics of conference realignment, which began to send mid-major dominoes toppling across the country at the precise moment when the Eagles tumbled into the abyss. For USM, arguably more so than for any other FBS program, the resulting landscape is a bigger worry than even the losing: On C-USA’s 20th anniversary, Southern Miss finds itself as the only original member left in a league that looks less like a viable home for an established program than an incubator for aspiring start-ups.

Win or lose, Southern Miss was never an attractive candidate in the eyes of more prestigious conferences, whose criteria for expansion had almost nothing to do with on-field tradition and everything to do with adding viable TV markets. Still, by failing to secure a seat on the last chopper out, Southern Miss stands on the other side of the realignment divide as arguably the only FBS program that occupies a lower rung in the national pecking order than it did 15 or even five years ago — not only in terms of wins and losses from one year to the next, but also where it stands in the overall caste system. If you are the company you keep, then Southern Miss is the longtime resident who’s watched helplessly as its humble but well-kept middle-class neighborhood has been morphed into a backdrop for True Detective.

It's an unfortunate truth of what's been going on in college football. USM brings virtually nothing to the TV viewership table and they will always pay the price for that. They are to be commended for their football program which at one time ('80s & '90s) was the best college football program in the state of Mississippi. But those folks refused to accept their "position" and they didn't help their situation by being more than bellicose about their football program. I hope they someday find their way back but that road will be long and difficult. The burden of being in a small, out of the way, town in Mississippi is heavy indeed.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: Pervis_Griffith
I feel for their fans. Back in the day, we had a great competition with them and there were exciting wins and heartbreaking losses. I miss playing Southern Miss and wish them luck in rebuilding their program.

I don't think the Southern Miss situation is as dire as that article describes. They have a few things going for them that another decent coaching hire will fix. They're in a football-crazy part of the country with a lotta football talent around them. And once they get their coaching act together, their schedule will be very user friendly. They're making excuses at the moment for one dismal coaching hire and what could be a second on its heels. That sort of management ineptitude will bring anyone down including ourselves. Football program mismanagement becomes obvious and highly destructive...

Last edited:
I think we should do a home and home again.

USM has the most friendly fan base as I've ever been greated and hosted by.

Good recruiting grounds too!

Reactions: FloridaCard
I agree with CARDWIZ. A home and home series would be interesting, and it is a good recruiting area.

I guess maybe it's just me, but I don't feel bad for SMiss' situation. Louisville fought hard to get where they are at, while others remained dormant. That's on them. And after they cheated to get the win and conference title in 99, ill will remains. That rain game at their place in 2012 also prevents me from wanting Louisville to ever play there again. Atrocious field conditions.

My in-laws went to that game. I could have went too. Glad I didn't they said it was the worst game they'd even go to and said the field was just horrible rain or no rain. I wouldn't be apposed to a home & home with So Miss but they have some work to do to their facilities and get themselves going in the right direction before we should make any commitments to them.

When you make your bed you have to sleep in it. This is on USM.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: yumcard
I don't think the Southern Miss situation is as dire as that article describes. They have a few things going for them that another decent coaching hire will fix. They're in a football-crazy part of the country with a lotta football talent around them. And once they get their coaching act together, their schedule will be very user friendly. They're making excuses at the moment for one dismal coaching hire and what could be a second on its heels. That sort of management ineptitude will bring anyone down including ourselves. Football program mismanagement becomes obvious and highly destructive...

Good point, Zipp. To illustrate, imagine what would have happened if we had hired Ron Cooper to replace Kragthorpe.

I guess maybe it's just me, but I don't feel bad for SMiss' situation. Louisville fought hard to get where they are at, while others remained dormant. That's on them. And after they cheated to get the win and conference title in 99, ill will remains. That rain game at their place in 2012 also prevents me from wanting Louisville to ever play there again. Atrocious field conditions.

Disagree with this. You're telling me Boise St didn't work hard? They've got almost nothing to work with, and they've won 3 BCS bowls, and been ranked in the Top 20 for how many seasons now. What about BYU? They won a national championship, and they got left out. I simply don't agree that you can say that some of the teams that got left out didn't work hard enough.

Disagree with this. You're telling me Boise St didn't work hard? They've got almost nothing to work with, and they've won 3 BCS bowls, and been ranked in the Top 20 for how many seasons now. What about BYU? They won a national championship, and they got left out. I simply don't agree that you can say that some of the teams that got left out didn't work hard enough.

You obviously do not know much about BYU. Look it up. They had their chance. Boise's problem is similar to USM: lack of facilities, lack of well balanced sports programs and small markets. Not fixable.

Reactions: Cue Card and CardX
Cheated? Are you talking about the lonesome end play where the guy goes to the sideline but not off the field? If you are, that play is one of football lore and any properly coached defense at the should have been alerted to be aware of it. Current rules have excluded the play, but it and plays like fumble ruski added color to the game.

Cheated? Are you talking about the lonesome end play where the guy goes to the sideline but not off the field? If you are, that play is one of football lore and any properly coached defense at the should have been alerted to be aware of it. Current rules have excluded the play, but it and plays like fumble ruski added color to the game.

Classifying it as cheating is part of the ill will that remains. With a conference championship on the line, Redman's last home game of his career, S.Miss couldn't win straight up. They had to use trickery, a play of deception.

Classifying it as cheating is part of the ill will that remains. With a conference championship on the line, Redman's last home game of his career, S.Miss couldn't win straight up. They had to use trickery, a play of deception.
I did not like the loss either, but cheating? Come on. There are many plays that are designed to deceive the other team. The play in question was legal at the time.

I did not like the loss either, but cheating? Come on. There are many plays that are designed to deceive the other team. The play in question was legal at the time.
It may have been legal at the time (funny how it isn't NOW) but regardless, it WAS bush league and shows exactly what level USM played then and why they continue to play at the same level now. The "once bush league, always bush league" phrase fits USM.

Why are some of you talking smack about USM? How quickly some forget where this program came from. Count your blessings, and wish the best for others. USM was at one time the biggest game we had on our schedule, and you would have given anything to see us win many of those games. Hburg and the lower half of Mississippi doesn't have the corporate pockets or TV market share that UofL enjoys, nor did they have the benefit of an all time great basketball program to leverage any moves or negotiations with conference wise. Just stop with the nonsense and wish them luck!

And I don't care who's in-laws went to the 2012 game and were offended by the weather. Sounds like the same types that show up late and leave early for all of our home games.
Great people down there, and hope WE DO IT again sometime.

Why are some of you talking smack about USM? How quickly some forget where this program came from. Count your blessings, and wish the best for others. USM was at one time the biggest game we had on our schedule, and you would have given anything to see us win many of those games. Hburg and the lower half of Mississippi doesn't have the corporate pockets or TV market share that UofL enjoys, nor did they have the benefit of an all time great basketball program to leverage any moves or negotiations with conference wise. Just stop with the nonsense and wish them luck!

And I don't care who's in-laws went to the 2012 game and were offended by the weather. Sounds like the same types that show up late and leave early for all of our home games.
Well stated WIZ!

The UofL program grew. USM did not and that is because of geography. At the time back in the day, they were a big rival for UofL. I agree with that. That doesn't mean I ever respected USM. I never have. I guess that's why I'm talking smack. If that bothers you that much then you can always put me on ignore. Just click on my name and hit the ignore button. That way you won't be bothered with me sharing my opinion.

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
The UofL program grew. USM did not and that is because of geography. At the time back in the day, they were a big rival for UofL. I agree with that. That doesn't mean I ever respected USM. I never have. I guess that's why I'm talking smack. If that bothers you that much then you can always put me on ignore. Just click on my name and hit the ignore button. That way you won't be bothered with me sharing my opinion.
Well, like ole Uncle Ed (back in the day) once said. "If you can't be a good sport, you can always be an athletic supporter".

Well, like ole Uncle Ed (back in the day) once said. "If you can't be a good sport, you can always be an athletic supporter".

I apologize to all the folks out there that I may have offended by simply stating I never respected USM and always thought of them as bush league.

God forbid anyone (me included) has any type of opinion that's not politically correct. They might just be labeled as someone who isn't a good sport. Oh the humility. :confused:

I was at the 2012 Monsoon game because I had never been to Hattiesburg and we had played them for years. Good folks down there, but with all the rain the best part of the trip was going through Tuscaloosa and stopping at Dreamland Bar-B-Que :rolleyes:

I feel bad for southern miss. I want to see their program change around but not until after next season. I won a ton of money betting against Them the last couple of seasons and betting against the spread whatever it was that day. Southern Miss is getting 30 points? Bet against them. You will win.

Look at Southern Miss now. A shoulda, coulda, woulda, has been,program. I really do feel bad for them on the other hand though for nostalgic reasons of historical games. They are seriously pitiful though. 1 great coaching hire away might not save them. I don't even think Brett Farve can save them. They are like UofK 2.0. but with better fans.

Invest in some drainage for your swampy field. Then someone might take your program serious next realignment.

Get Well Soon USM,
Sincerely,
Those Who Remember When You Guys Use To Be Good and Win Games.,

Last edited:
You obviously do not know much about BYU. Look it up. They had their chance. Boise's problem is similar to USM: lack of facilities, lack of well balanced sports programs and small markets. Not fixable.

No, I know plenty about BYU. They didn't have a chance. They got passed over.

Everything else you said proves my point. None of what you mentioned has anything to do with how hard these schools worked. It's a matter of circumstance.

Pretty much says it all (without the fan editorial), but I do understand you don't have to care about the SMUs, the Boises and others. But to some of us they have added color and interest to the college game.
Still glad to be in the new NFL Light, though.

Why are some of you talking smack about USM? How quickly some forget where this program came from. Count your blessings, and wish the best for others. USM was at one time the biggest game we had on our schedule, and you would have given anything to see us win many of those games. Hburg and the lower half of Mississippi doesn't have the corporate pockets or TV market share that UofL enjoys, nor did they have the benefit of an all time great basketball program to leverage any moves or negotiations with conference ........
xxx
...... Great people down there, and hope WE DO IT again sometime.

No, I know plenty about BYU. They didn't have a chance. They got passed over.

Everything else you said proves my point. None of what you mentioned has anything to do with how hard these schools worked. It's a matter of circumstance.

BYU had the opportunity to go to the Big 12, but would not budge on their stance of not playing games on Sundays and there were also issues with having their own network, so it fell apart. Now, that was their choice, but it was THEIR CHOICE. That is not being left out or passed over. Had they relented they would be in the Big 12 right now.

AND, it sometimes does matter how hard the schools worked. USM and Boise focused on one thing - football. USM has/had a decent baseball team at one point, but that is not enough. Neither put money into facilities. The examples of Boise and USM are probably bad examples because of their crappy markets. However, UC, UConn, USF and Memphis State got lazy. If they concentrated on their entire sports programs and on their facilities they likely would not be where they are now. So, it is very specific to each school.

Reactions: vegasville1
BYU had the opportunity to go to the Big 12, but would not budge on their stance of not playing games on Sundays and there were also issues with having their own network, so it fell apart. Now, that was their choice, but it was THEIR CHOICE. That is not being left out or passed over. Had they relented they would be in the Big 12 right now.

AND, it sometimes does matter how hard the schools worked. USM and Boise focused on one thing - football. USM has/had a decent baseball team at one point, but that is not enough. Neither put money into facilities. The examples of Boise and USM are probably bad examples because of their crappy markets. However, UC, UConn, USF and Memphis State got lazy. If they concentrated on their entire sports programs and on their facilities they likely would not be where they are now. So, it is very specific to each school.

Nope. Simply not true. BYU was not a lock to get into the Big 12. Sorry, it's just not true. TCU got in partly due to political reasons (replacing A&M), along with on-field performance. West Virginia got in due to their on-field performance (3 BCS wins in 10 years), plus they are already coming from a BCS conference. So no, BYU was not the 1st choice, and it wasn't their spot to lose. They got passed over because the Big 12 felt the other candidates were better.

Those schools you mentioned didn't get lazy. Those schools don't have a huge amount revenue to begin with. They can't simply throw money at their other sports. Besides, Louisville didn't get into the ACC because of baseball or track & field. They got in because of football and basketball. The other sports don't matter. They don't factor into the decision.

It wasn't a question of them beating out WVU for the 10th spot. Louisville and BYU were going to be members 11 and 12, but BYU said no, so they stayed at 10. And, in other news, USM is screwed and cannot do anything about it. That part is correct. BTW, you do not have to sit in the top deck anymore. There are plenty of lower level available.

It wasn't a question of them beating out WVU for the 10th spot. Louisville and BYU were going to be members 11 and 12, but BYU said no, so they stayed at 10. And, in other news, USM is screwed and cannot do anything about it. That part is correct. BTW, you do not have to sit in the top deck anymore. There are plenty of lower level available.

Nope, not true. I knew you were just making this up, and your statement confirmed it. The Big 12 was never going to 12. Simply untrue. They were only going to add 2 teams to replace A&M and Missouri. The reason they weren't going to 12 is because their contract won't pay them more money for 12 teams. That's why they decided to stay at 10 before there was any talk of West Virginia, BYU, Louisville, etc.

Post some links that prove your point.

Reactions: American Male
It may have been legal at the time (funny how it isn't NOW) but regardless, it WAS bush league and shows exactly what level USM played then and why they continue to play at the same level now. The "once bush league, always bush league" phrase fits USM.

It's an illegal play now and was then. I can't recall off hand the exact wording of the rule, but I remember it was a big officiating snafu at the time.

Nope, not true. I knew you were just making this up, and your statement confirmed it. The Big 12 was never going to 12. Simply untrue. They were only going to add 2 teams to replace A&M and Missouri. The reason they weren't going to 12 is because their contract won't pay them more money for 12 teams. That's why they decided to stay at 10 before there was any talk of West Virginia, BYU, Louisville, etc.

Post some links that prove your point.

Go over to shaggybevo.com and look through the expansion thread. The Big ? was going to 12 teams but could not expand evenly with the teams (their expansion plan - even teams for conference playoff consideration). If BYU would have went, chances are UofL would have been invited.

One thing that gets lost in this is that UofL would have gone first except that TJ would not break his contractual agreement of notification of leaving clause. WVU jumped in and said they would and got the nod at that point.

WVU had no choice but to move the way they did since the implosion of the BE was happening.

The ACC had stated previously that they were not interested in adding WVU (go to the WVU scout board).

The Big? had to get back to at least 10 teams or face contractual issues under its current agreement. Once the dust settled, UofL had gone to the ACC and no other schools were considered.

The negotiations on their current media contract pretty well confirms this when they had to renegotiate to remain at ten teams as of now.

I can remember being the guy in the photograph so many times, its like they took a picture of me and just photoshopped USM gear. I think UL fans will always have a place in their hearts for the teams in the Missouri Valley, Metro, Big East, C-USA and AAC. Its like a brotherhood. We know who we are, and where we came from, thats' why we will never forget. I am all about scheduling USM or any of the former teams we had great rivalries with. We are in a very unique situation right now, and really just lucky we have had such astute leadership. It very easily could have gone the other way. Good luck to USM, great fans, great program. I think they will turn it around-too much great tradition.

Go over to shaggybevo.com and look through the expansion thread. The Big ? was going to 12 teams but could not expand evenly with the teams (their expansion plan - even teams for conference playoff consideration). If BYU would have went, chances are UofL would have been invited.

One thing that gets lost in this is that UofL would have gone first except that TJ would not break his contractual agreement of notification of leaving clause. WVU jumped in and said they would and got the nod at that point.

WVU had no choice but to move the way they did since the implosion of the BE was happening.

The ACC had stated previously that they were not interested in adding WVU (go to the WVU scout board).

The Big? had to get back to at least 10 teams or face contractual issues under its current agreement. Once the dust settled, UofL had gone to the ACC and no other schools were considered.

The negotiations on their current media contract pretty well confirms this when they had to renegotiate to remain at ten teams as of now.

This is my point. A message board thread is not evidence. According to message board threads, Florida St and Clemson were going to the Big 12, and Virginia and North Carolina were going to the Big Ten. How did that turn out?

The Big 12 wasn't going to 12 teams. That was not going to happen for the same reason it's not happening now. They lose money. The Big 12 cannot increase their TV revenue. That's because ESPN and Fox let them keep their 12-team contract, even with only 10 teams. The catch is, if they add teams, the payout just stays the same. They don't get more money. The problem is that the rest of the revenue (CFP, bowls, basketball) doesn't increase at all, and just gets split 2 extra ways.

The one part I agree on is that they had to get back to 10 teams after A&M and Missouri left, or they lost their TV contracts. That part is true. However, they weren't adding more teams after that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT