ADVERTISEMENT

Satellite Camps, Good or Bad?

Jul 23, 2014
https://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1774041
spacer1.gif

I'm having a hard time excepting any reasons against satellite camps. The more players can be exposed to more coaches the better.

The opinion against satellite camps seems to be based on maintaining recruiting advantages, which has nothing to do with what is best for the recruit.

Those who argue against these camps and those who want an early signing period continue to demonstrate what is wrong with collegiate sports. These people care more about maintaining their competitive edge than what is best for the student-athlete.

All I know, if a camp from another school came to Louisville, I'd be pissed. It's one thing for a coach from another school to come in here and recruit a player, but for them to showcase their program, their coaching, their style of play, on "our turf," I'm not cool with that.

All I know, if a camp from another school came to Louisville, I'd be pissed. It's one thing for a coach from another school to come in here and recruit a player, but for them to showcase their program, their coaching, their style of play, on "our turf," I'm not cool with that.
We might not be excited as Louisville fans hosting a satellite camp, but MSU,EKU,WKU, would be thrilled to have Louisville caliber recruits spend even one day on their campus.

To begin with, I don't get it. The NCAA rules forbid "tryouts" and these 1 day camps (often by invitation) are nothing more than "scholarship tryouts" very loosely disguised as "development camps".

The camp thing has become huge in the past 10 years as a way for a kid to show off his skills. I still don't know how so many kids make overnight trips at their expense to hit these "camps". For programs like UofL and UK, I think they would benefit by satellite camps in a few key states (e.g., FL, GA maybe TX). OTOH, the talent pool in Kentucky is no so deep that AL or GA would be interested in setting up a KY camp.

I would think that most coaches running a satellite camp would have sufficiently good taste to not "flaunt it" to another institution (e.g., Cards should work south FL but not squarely in Miami).

Peace

The problem is that some conferences allow it others don't. Those rules should be consistent throughout the M5.

Reactions: atiba
So, how would you feel about U of L holding one annually in Miami/Dade County or Birmingham, AL?...

So, how would you feel about U of L holding one annually in Miami/Dade County or Birmingham, AL?...

I'm against these satellite camps. It's a loop hole maneuver to bend the rules of recruiting. So, no, I wouldn't feel good about UofL holding one annually in Miami/Dade County or Birmingham, AL, unless it was fully allowed in every P5 conference.

I respectfully submit that you might feel different about that if your coach used it to effectively mine football hotbeds for talent, and you signed a few 4-star and 5-star guys each year as a direct result.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. I do know if the above was true where I would fall out...

I'm against these satellite camps. It's a loop hole maneuver to bend the rules of recruiting. So, no, I wouldn't feel good about UofL holding one annually in Miami/Dade County or Birmingham, AL, unless it was fully allowed in every P5 conference.
What rule or spirit of a rule are satellite camps breaking?

What rule or spirit of a rule are satellite camps breaking?

Head coaches aren't allowed to visit recruits in the spring. A lot of these camps are held in the spring, when head coaches work out recruits in a camp setting. It's contradictory. You either can or you can't interact with recruits in the spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT