ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan McMahon Wants To Prove Skeptics Wrong

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
(You can read the whole interview at the link posted at the bottom. There is a video of Ryan as well. He seems like a good kid that is willing to work hard.)

"Now that I'm here, I do feel like I belong here," McMahon said. "It didn't happen by some lucky chance. I worked hard to put myself in the position to have this opportunity.

"I didn't bother me (that he was ignored by the recruiting services). It just showed me the invalidity of those recruiting web sites. I got a chuckle out of it. Now I'm going to one of the top programs in the nation."

I asked Ryan McMahon what he would have said if I had told him before the season that Louisville would offer a scholarship.
"I would have said, 'Stop messing with me,' " McMahon said.

Louisville offered a scholarship. McMahon accepted. Organizers of the Derby Classic immediately wanted him, too. Averaging more than 26 points per game, McMahon finished his high school season by leading Cardinal Mooney
to the Class 3A state semifinals.

The world will be watching McMahon to see if they see what Pitino said he saw: A determined kid
with a chip on his shoulder who plays like Mark Price, the former Georgia Tech all-American who later scored nearly 11,000 points in the NBA over a dozen seasons.

Mark Price, you guessed it, stood 6 feet and weight 170 pounds.McMahon, you guessed it, has started to study Mark Price videos on YouTube. What is McMahon going to show people Saturday?

"I'm going to show them Ryan McMahon's game," he said.

This post was edited on 4/10 11:21 PM by shadow force

Ryan McMahon

Don't think Pitino actually found him. Vitale was touting him and Rick offered him, one thing about him is Vitale will toot his horn all year. Lol. Seems likes good kid hope it works out well for both.

Ryan will get his chance like everyone else. He seems like he is a hard worker and knows what it will take in order to get playing time on this team. Whether he will accomplish this or not remains to be seen.

"Don't think Pitino actually found him. Vitale was touting him and Rick offered him"

And the difference between finding him that way or any other is?

Just saying he wasn't rated, no offers and dick Vitale called Pitino. It wasn't just Pitino that didn't find him no one found him.

This kid came in 3rd in the state of Florida for Mr. Basketball. There is enough talent in that state to say that is pretty impressive. He may have been under recruited, but if we hadn't got him, he would have ended up somewhere. I think he will be a good one.

How he was found is inconsequential.

He's on the team and will get a chance to see if he can cut it at this level.

If he does great, if he doesn't, it's not going to bring down the program.

Agree on this one. Likely one of those HS phenoms that doesn't translate. Hope for more
Originally posted by coach1983:
Will be a backup player. He is not D1 material!

Louisville would have been in the final 4 if they had a kid like Forte from Oklahoma State. I'm not saying the kid will be as good as Forte, but a short white kid, if they can shoot the 3 ball can play at the D1 level.

I hope you guys are right! I don't see it. If he was 6-3 -6-5 height range I think it's possible he could be more than a practice player. He looks and plays like a D-2 or walk-on type player. Sorry, this is a wasted scholarship for a team like UL.

I don't know how well the kid shoots it as I have only seen highlights of him, but I'm assuming he can really shoot it. If you can bring a kid like that off the bench for a spark or to throw in there against a zone it can really help you space the floor. Also, as much as pitino likes his matchup zone you can for lack of a better term hide him.. If Louisville was a man to man team all of the time it would worry me a little more. Just my opinion though I guess we will have to wait and see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT