ADVERTISEMENT

Ron English

I believe it says more about the quality of players we have on defense than any scheme he runs. Quite a few times this year when his soft zones have turned a 3rd and 20 into easy first downs. At least he started blitzing a little more the second half of the season. He can thank the front 4 studs for this nomination.

Reactions: JTMPR
Perhaps it’s a combination of both, motivated talent and effective coaching.

Coaches are an interesting study; I think of Charlie Strong and Jimbo Fisher as examples of ones who experienced high levels of success at one point in their careers, only to fail in other situations.

Ron is recognized as an excellent defensive mind, but it would be foolish to expect any coach to be successful without talented players executing the sets, no coach will rise much above the skill level of their kids.

Reactions: earsky and SoulSr
I believe it says more about the quality of players we have on defense than any scheme he runs. Quite a few times this year when his soft zones have turned a 3rd and 20 into easy first downs. At least he started blitzing a little more the second half of the season. He can thank the front 4 studs for this nomination.
He’s doing what the last DC didn’t do enough- bring the heat.

Reactions: nccardfan
Perhaps it’s a combination of both, motivated talent and effective coaching.
This defense runs downhill,they pursue and they tackle. Effective leadership and talent.
I'd love to see the secondary(who really tackle well) to stay with their guys on those long routes. They will be tested there in the next 2-3 games.

This defense runs downhill,they pursue and they tackle. Effective leadership and talent.
I'd love to see the secondary(who really tackle well) to stay with their guys on those long routes. They will be tested there in the next 2-3 games.
That's one thing I've enjoyed about watching these guys on defense. More often than not it's two or 3 guys making a tackle they get to the ball so fast

Reactions: nccardfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT