ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino Talks About Deng Adel

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Deng Adel: He's another versatile player who can play multiple positions, and that especially helps on defense, where the 6-8 Adel thrives. "He is probably the best defensive player on the team," Pitino said. "For a freshman to be a team's most outstanding defensive player, that's a huge compliment to him, but I mean it. He is one of the five best freshman defenders I've had." Asked to expand on what specifically makes Adel so good defensively, Pitino said the Sudanese-born Adel is "quick laterally, active with his hands, long, athletic and knows his terminology and is a quick learner."

Adel's offense is a work in progress, but, like Pitino said, he is a quick learner who is making progress in the month or so he's been on campus. "He's a little mechanical right now, but he'll get there," Pitino said.

We all know CRP's penchant for hyperbole, but if he is really happy with Deng's defense then that's saying a lot for a freshman. Strong defense is what will allow Adel to get minutes and stay on the floor.

Hard to know just how much he's stretching it here but the fact remains he's touting him rather than talking about his weaknesses. Rick is probably just thrilled to be dealing with a real hard worker rather than the guy who packed his bag and headed out west.

Most sites have Adel listed as 6'7" though he could easily still be growing. Either way having a defensive minded 6'7" SF doesn't sound bad either.

Good point about him potentially sliding to the 4 at times.

Everybody just assumes one of our bigs drops to the 4, but Rick does like going small so I wouldn't be surprised to see Adel getting some PT @ the 4.

The only one of our bigs I could see playing the 4 is Anas. I can't see Mango and Nanu on the court at the same time.

Good point about him potentially sliding to the 4 at times.

Everybody just assumes one of our bigs drops to the 4, but Rick does like going small so I wouldn't be surprised to see Adel getting some PT @ the 4.

The only one of our bigs I could see playing the 4 is Anas. I can't see Mango and Nanu on the court at the same time.

Nice points. CRP could use Adel at the 4 for a smaller, quicker pressing lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: pervisl
People seem to grow and shrink between articles. The recent walk-on grew an inch between paragraphs. That was impressive.

I don't know what to make of this other than we've heard high praise for incoming freshmen before only to see them crash and burn. The "Mike Marra is the best HS shooter I've ever seen" comment is still fresh in my mind.

I hope coach is 100% spot on accurate about Adel, but I'll take a wait and see attitude.

Reactions: beasleythecard
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT