ADVERTISEMENT

** Quick Hits - National Signing Day Part 1 **

Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
- Meeting all the assistant coaches today. First impressions? These coaches are genuine, straight-forward, no nonsense and ON MESSAGE. They were all saying the same things about the future of the program and the culture they intend to create. I was impressed.

- My favorite note of the day? CoachFrankPonce said he's a HUGE Teddy Bridgewater fan. He said one of the first things he did when he got on UofL's campus was FaceTime with Teddy and Scott Satterfield. Said Teddy was hyped that Ponce was in Louisville now.

- I told UofL that every Louisville staff needs at least one assistant coach who doesn't need to ask for directions in Miami. I told Frank Ponce that today and he laughed. "I definitely know all of south Florida, I coached there for many years. ... It's my home."

ON TO THE SIGNEES... all four of them...

New Louisville coach Scott Satterfield has announced the signing of four new recruits on the first National Signing Day.

Satterfield flipped two new recruits on Signing Day and signed two more longtime commitments to scholarship paperwork Wednesday.

First, the flips:

- Quarterback Evan Conley was committed to Appalachian State for months, but when Satterfield and QB coach Frank Ponce moved to Louisville, Conley made the move with them. Conley, a 6-foot-2, 205-pound star at Kell High in Marietta, Ga., was the Georgia 7-A Offensive Player of the Year and named to GSWA All-State as a junior. After leading Kell to a 9-3 season this season, he visited Louisville last weekend and chose Louisville Wednesday morning.

- Conley's coach will be on 790 KRD tomorrow morning at 8 am. http://www.790krd.com/listen

- The Cardinals also landed a former Indiana commitment when Plantation linebacker Dorian Jones flipped to Louisville on Signing Day. The 6-foot, 235-pound linebacker was the No. 36 inside linebacker in the nation according to Rivals.com and was the Sun Sentinel Broward County Class 5A-1A Defensive Player of the Year. He averaged 11.1 tackles per game, notching 122 total tackles his senior year. He picked Louisville over offers from Indiana, Kansas State, FIU, Buffalo, South Florida, and Florida A&M.

- DC Bryan Brown was stoked about flipping Jones, and said he had been a target of theirs for a little while, but they didn't think they could get him at App. Said he's a smart player who always knocks ballcarriers backward. He's a "downhill thumper" which is a phrase I will now use on a regular basis.

- Satterfield kept two longtime commitments in local star running back Aidan Robbins and West Virginia lineman Zach Williamson. No Ty Murray... yet.

- Robbins is a 6-foot-3, 225-pound athlete who is rated three-stars by Rivals.com and the No. 14 overall recruit in Kentucky for 2019. He tore his labrum in his shoulder after just 72 carries his senior season, but he rushed for 319 yards and four touchdowns before the injury. Robbins got a late push from BYU and Kentucky, but chose to stay home over offers from Kentucky, Purdue, Ole Miss, Missouri, and South Carolina.

- At 6-foot-6 and 298-pounds, Williamson has the physical stature to be an effective lineman at the ACC level. The No. 87 offensive tackle by Rivals.com, Williamson was a 2018 AAA All-State selection by West Virginia Sports Writers Association as a senior and AAA All-State honorable mention as a junior. He picked Louisville over offers from Kentucky, Penn State, West Virginia, Vanderbilt, Marshall, Wake Forest, Duke and Pittsburgh.

- I asked Satterfield if he found the local High School coaches to be receptive or if he felt like there was some repair work that needed to be done? His response was great. "Hey, we just got here." It's not our fault. He said everybody understands: the coaches, the prospects, etc... He said everybody was excited to have the new UofL coach in their schools. Said he was welcomed with open arms.

- Loved what I heard from Dwayne Ledford today about what he wants to build at Louisville.

- If you missed our interview this morning on 790 KRD, check it out here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News