ADVERTISEMENT

Postseason predictions.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
I'll get to the Cards in a moment, but if the CWS is won by any other team than UCLA or Vanderbilt, I'll be shocked. Postseason baseball can get tricky. Unlike other sports, baseball can bring elongated moments of intense pressure. You can feel it almost as if you are on the diamond yourself. It's not impossible for a top tier team to flounder in big moments, but when I saw Vanderbilt play here, they looked like a better team, and Louisville is pretty darn good. I haven't seen UCLA a whole lot this season, but they stayed number 1 virtually all year long. They didn't lose a series, and they didn't drop a single mid-season game. They have 8 total losses. I'm holding Vandy in the highest regards right now, so by virtue of the Bruins being ahead of them tells me all I need to know.

Regarding Louisville, it's tough to say they'll make a deep run. I'd like to think they have hit the reset button, but the way they closed out the season, 4-6 in their last ten, it's kind of like they are trending downward. Home field is just ridiculously huge for this team right now. Can I see them making the CWS, yes. Do I see them having much success while there? No. I'm not overlooking the regional either. The Cards could easily falter if their heads aren't on straight.

I think there could be 2ways to look at our team. There have been several head scratchers the past few weeks. Games that make you doubt their abilities.

TBS, I've also seen games like the last one against FSU where I don't think they could be beat. That team,that day has to be the team that shows up for every game moving forward. No exceptions. Coach can't teach what I saw that day. Desire,plain and simple.

A key. Bennett. — can he be good Nick? Or, do we get struggling Nick? Can our bats be consistent? Just hit the ball. Single, single, single = wins.

A key. Bennett. — can he be good Nick? Or, do we get struggling Nick? Can our bats be consistent? Just hit the ball. Single, single, single = wins.
I think the pitching staff is deeper than in years past, it’s the bats that need to stay consistent. We can’t have games where we only have 3 hits.

Bennett first out of the gate. I like it. CM playing for Saturday and Sunday. I guess we get to see right off how the co-captain responds to the challenge.

Same formula as ACC tournament but I expect a totally different outcome! Go Bat Cards!!

I would have started Detmers. We are underestimating our opponent. We are breaking up the normal rotation. I’d start Detmers, rely on the bats to give him a lead to work with, pull him early, then have him ready for game 3. You’re putting unnecessary pressure on the starters messing with routine.

I would have started Detmers. We are underestimating our opponent. We are breaking up the normal rotation. I’d start Detmers, rely on the bats to give him a lead to work with, pull him early, then have him ready for game 3. You’re putting unnecessary pressure on the starters messing with routine.

Bennett, come on, man. He’s not the same pitcher. I truly hope Dan didn’t make a mistake. Not trending in his favor.

Good time for Oriente’s first HR!!! Made it 3-2 UIC. Bad luck for UIC’s catcher, who I hope is not out for the entire weekend. Cards up now 4-3 bottom of 3rd. See if Bennett can pitch with a lead.

Reactions: CardCasey
Good time for Oriente’s first HR!!! Made it 3-2 UIC. Bad luck for UIC’s catcher, who I hope is not out for the entire weekend. Cards up now 4-3 bottom of 3rd. See if Bennett can pitch with a lead.

I’ll give Bennett a ton of credit. He pulled it together. That was a tough win.

Reactions: earsky
I’ll give Bennett a ton of credit. He pulled it together. That was a tough win.
We might look back on this one as the post season moves on. To me,Bennett's recovery and flat out middle inning dominance...and the comeback,might be the tipping point for this team.

What a great game and crowd. This team really seems to respond to the larger crowds. They got shanghaied a little bit early with those 2 solo shots,but fought back and the captain refused to go down with the ship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deeva
Complete offensive garbage against an awful pitcher, who just threw a complete game. How in the hell did the Cards win the ACC regular season?

Watching all those liners to first and second base, we’ve got too many lefties. The lack of power, too. The lineup doesn’t intimidate anyone. We need some sluggers.

A scrub, Missouri Valley, 4-8 pitcher made our guys look like the Bad News Bears.

IU will beat us tomorrow, because I hate IU, and the off-season will be miserable.

Maybe some more of their alums will dig up more dirt and ruin another program of ours.

Dammit!!!!

Well, I'm not surprised a bit. I'm over on the 1st base line last night(like most games) and all I hear the players' families talking about is the draft on Monday:eek:. I get it,but it does not jive with team goals. Half of me wishes that Mac would go after lesser guys. Hell,I'd be willing to bet that every kid on that Illinois st team never got a look from us.

Rant over...

Also, if we can come out of the loser's bracket and win this thing Monday,the fellas might feel a sense of what it feels like to accomplish a team goal. Might help...Idk anymore.

Can anyone say left handed pitching? That seems to be our Achilles heel. Even when Illinois St started warming up their bullpen, they were both left handed. The word is out and we need to adjust.

Any talk about the draft should be done by the parents but not the players. The coaches should be in control of that.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that we also cannot figure out that the lefty in question threw a strike 90% of the time on his 1st pitch. It was always something different,but a strike none the less. Then he proceeded to make our Hitters chase thase low and away pitches . Baseball 302.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that we also cannot figure out that the lefty in question threw a strike 90% of the time on his 1st pitch. It was always something different,but a strike none the less. Then he proceeded to make our Hitters chase thase low and away pitches . Baseball 302.

Lefty on lefty crime. We’ve got too many lefties.

It's just that if I know the dude is getting that 1st one over,that's the one I want. The rest are diving just out of the zone. Constantly in the pitchers' count.

Last edited:
Backs against the wall,but I think we're a better team when they are...at least I hope so. We'll know in about 14 hours or so.
We need to get behind the guys,get some behinds in the seats.

Last edited:
if we can come out of the loser's bracket and win this thing Monday,
Nothing really like facing elimination that gets you going more.The guys feel the sense of unity because of it. One more...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT