ADVERTISEMENT

Pitino On Raymond Spalding

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Ray Spalding: "We've not seen a guy at 6-9 1/2 get up and down the floor like him in some time," Pitino said. "He has great, great upside. He reminds me of Earl Clark, but he's even more graceful. That's a high compliment, because Earl was a graceful player." The challenge with Spalding, a freshman who just graduated from Trinity High here in Louisville, is getting him to become more vocal on the floor. Pitino compared him to a young Larry O'Bannon in terms of demeanor as a freshman.

"He's a terrific young man, but introverted and shy off the court," Pitino said. How can they prod a more aggressive, vocal demeanor out of him on the court? "You get him to talk on every possession, like we did with Quentin (Snider)," Pitino said. "You get him to talk through every drill."

Hadn't heard a whole lot about Spalding up to this point. Still not sure what to expect except that he will need time to develop. Still, a big man that runs the floor well is always a plus.

Ray Spalding: "We've not seen a guy at 6-9 1/2 get up and down the floor like him in some time," Pitino said. "He has great, great upside. He reminds me of Earl Clark, but he's even more graceful. That's a high compliment, because Earl was a graceful player." The challenge with Spalding, a freshman who just graduated from Trinity High here in Louisville, is getting him to become more vocal on the floor. Pitino compared him to a young Larry O'Bannon in terms of demeanor as a freshman.

"He's a terrific young man, but introverted and shy off the court," Pitino said. How can they prod a more aggressive, vocal demeanor out of him on the court? "You get him to talk on every possession, like we did with Quentin (Snider)," Pitino said. "You get him to talk through every drill."

Hadn't heard a whole lot about Spalding up to this point. Still not sure what to expect except that he will need time to develop. Still, a big man that runs the floor well is always a plus.

Comparisons to EC and Larry O from CRP bring back fond memories and hopefully portend good things to come.

Reactions: Mayoman and pervisl
Comparison of Ray Spalding to Larry O and Earl Clark
Comparison of Donovan Mitchell to Peyton Siva and Terrence Williams

I get the sense Pitino is fully aware of how young this team is and how much positive reinforcement they're going to need this season. I like how he changes his motivational approach for every player.

Reactions: Cue Card
Comparison of Ray Spalding to Larry O and Earl Clark
Comparison of Donovan Mitchell to Peyton Siva and Terrence Williams

I get the sense Pitino is fully aware of how young this team is and how much positive reinforcement they're going to need this season. I like how he changes his motivational approach for every player.
The man knows what to say and when to say it when it comes to motivational speeches. There is no doubt he is sending the positive reinforcement message to the youngsters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT