ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Steele

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Just got the Phil Steele mag and he's not too impressed with the Cards in 2015. He has them #37 in his top 40 and has them behind ACC members FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, Miami and Va Tech. He has only four players in his top 45 at each position. Fields, Burgess, Kelsey at LB and Rankins at DL. No offensive player at all.

Now maybe he's right. He does have a great record of knowing who's good and who's not. I'm not here to say he's full of it and should have the Cards in the top 20. I do however believe he's underestimating the talent on the Cards roster. I think James Quick and Brandon Radcliffe should have been in the lists of top 45 at their position. I was also surprised that Josh Harvey Clemons wasn't in the safety top 45.

It's not unusual for the Cards to have break out players that were overlooked in the pre-season. I still think most of the so called experts still look at the Louisville program as a re-builder and not a re-loader.They have to see it before they predict it. One of these years the Cards football program will finally get over that hump in this aspect. Hopefully Petrino will stay on for a long while. Something the program needs.

Highly suspect O line, unproven receivers, Qbs that need to improve, and a lot of new faces on D. As individuals I think the new faces on D are good, but are they ready to come together as a unit?

It's the toughest schedule I've seen us have and we very well could be sitting 2-4.

BC will more than likely be the biggest game of the year. After taking it on the chin early, if the team can come together @ that point, we have many winnable games down the stretch.

I could see everything break right and get 8 or 9 wins.

I could also see a disaster and 7 losses. Or something in between.

I know nothing.

11 wins? Highly unlikely. I'm with the other poster where we could see maybe 7 wins. The oline is unproven, new receivers, and Reggie remains a huge question mark. We could easily start out 3-3 or 2-4. Even the "backloaded" part of the schedule won't be a cakewalk considering Virginia beat us last year.

Reactions: SmackDaddy38
I'm predicting 11-1 season division champs. This defense is going to be better than last years as well as the offense.

Not buying 11 wins either. I would be over the moon with 10 wins, very happy with 9, and happy with 8. As a matter of fact, right now, 8-4 is my current 2015 projection.

Reactions: Mayoman and Drakew
Just got the Phil Steele mag and he's not too impressed with the Cards in 2015. He has them #37 in his top 40 and has them behind ACC members FSU, Clemson, Ga Tech, Miami and Va Tech. .

I'm sure others will frown on this, but can I say being projected @ #37 overall with as much as we lost actually makes me feel good?

He's not completely dismissing the program, but he's not saying he sees a big season, which feels fair.

Open w/ Auburn, with all these new faces we have on D... that's just real tough. The first six are a buzz saw with just one gimme. This is what we wanted.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
I know what you're saying Ipartied, but we have a lot of talent on the field still, the talent on the sidelines with headphones on is why I think we are going to be better than most think. I know that I'm biased but I felt the same way about Arkansas when CBP was there. I don't see 11 wins but I do think that we will at least duplicate last years record.

It's not unusual for the Cards to have break out players that were overlooked in the pre-season. I still think most of the so called experts still look at the Louisville program as a re-builder and not a re-loader.They have to see it before they predict it. One of these years the Cards football program will finally get over that hump in this aspect. Hopefully Petrino will stay on for a long while. Something the program needs.

I can totally understand Steele's assessment coming into this season.The way you change perceptions is you beat teams you're not supposed to,and on a more regular basis.The early portion of the schedule really gives this program that opportunity.

The O-line ??? and RB's varied performance last year doesn't fill me with confidence coming into the season. Once (if) we can get WG back under center I'll feel a little better. Any update on Will's status?

I'm cautiously optimistic about the season. The Cards aren't going to be national title contenders, but a season similar to last year is most likely to occur. The QB's, which ever of them start, are by nature, going to be more experienced. They will be better. It's what Petrino does, makes QB's good. We're set at RB. This is Quick's breakout year. The WR's are solid. The line, ok, we'll see. But, again, Petrino is an offensive coach. If there are weaknesses on the OL, he'll make up for it with scheme. No real worries there. The defense, forget about it. I'll put UofL's front seven up against any other college football team in America. They are that good. Health is the only concern there. The DB's, we are replacing a lot. But, that's football. Guys move on, guys fill in. Charlie recruited well, Grantham knows his sh**, we'll be fine. At the minimum, it will be a disappointing 7 win season. Max, I'll put it at 10. 8-9 is the most probable, decent bowl, all good.

This is a really tough team to project. The defense should be legit. I think there is more high end talent in this group than last year. Steele looks at numbers like can they produce the turnovers they did last year? Let's face it they were great in generating turnovers that usually doesn't happen at that rate. I am confident they will pressure the QB which will lead to turnovers. Year 2 with Grantham's system will only benefit everyone on the defense. They get Keith Brown back and healthy. It will be hard to replace the productivity of the defensive players that left. With that said three guys replacing them are from really strong conferences where they all were productive.

Offense, who knows what this offense will look like. The line is a complete mystery at this point. Here is what people are missing though the line last year wasn't very good. People are saying they had 3 NFL players on that line. The bottom line though is the O-line last year were weren't very good for long stretches. The line was second in the ACC in giving up sacks plus over 30 percent of their runs plays produced a negative result. Can this group really be worse? I don't think so! They will be better maybe not great or even good, but they will be better.

Then QB is going to be better or I hope so. I will be the first to admit I was not impressed with Reggie B last year, but being a true freshman in a really good defensive conference he did OK. He will be better.

If the defensive is as good as last year and the offense shows its normal progress in year 2 then they are going to be just fine.

Reactions: SoulSr
This is a really tough team to project. The defense should be legit. I think there is more high end talent in this group than last year. Steele looks at numbers like can they produce the turnovers they did last year? Let's face it they were great in generating turnovers that usually doesn't happen at that rate. I am confident they will pressure the QB which will lead to turnovers. Year 2 with Grantham's system will only benefit everyone on the defense. They get Keith Brown back and healthy. It will be hard to replace the productivity of the defensive players that left. With that said three guys replacing them are from really strong conferences where they all were productive.

Offense, who knows what this offense will look like. The line is a complete mystery at this point. Here is what people are missing though the line last year wasn't very good. People are saying they had 3 NFL players on that line. The bottom line though is the O-line last year were weren't very good for long stretches. The line was second in the ACC in giving up sacks plus over 30 percent of their runs plays produced a negative result. Can this group really be worse? I don't think so! They will be better maybe not great or even good, but they will be better.

Then QB is going to be better or I hope so. I will be the first to admit I was not impressed with Reggie B last year, but being a true freshman in a really good defensive conference he did OK. He will be better.

If the defensive is as good as last year and the offense shows its normal progress in year 2 then they are going to be just fine.

Good summary of last years performance.

Now that it is late July, I predict a 9-3 season with a tie for 1st place in the Atlantic Division.

We faced some sub standard offenses last year.

I expect the forced turnover #'s to decline, but that doesn't mean the Defensive #'s overall will decline. Last year's D was the victim of having their backs up against the wall, our offense was average @ best.

If we can get a better offensive performance this year that's going to indirectly help our D.

10-2 would be an incredible record considering the SOS. I'm hoping that comes true but I would not be all that surprised to see a 8-4 or even 7-5 record this year. It all starts in the trenches and while we have a ton of junior players on the offensive line, they're still unproven. I'm concerned the offense will struggle early because of growing pains for the O-line. The defense should keep us competitive.

I believe that Petrino will simplify things enough for the o line that they will be able to mask their deficiencies although that will reduce the playbook somewhat. I think the second year BP phenomena and our stout defense will give us a strong chance for an auburn upset and a 10-2 record.. We will "feed the studs" again this year!!

We faced some sub standard offenses last year.

I expect the forced turnover #'s to decline, but that doesn't mean the Defensive #'s overall will decline. Last year's D was the victim of having their backs up against the wall, our offense was average @ best.

If we can get a better offensive performance this year that's going to indirectly help our D.
I agree we didn't face any really strong offenses outside of Florida State and Georgia. The defense didn't fair too well in those games. Another reason to believe the turnover over numbers were inflated. I think depth was the biggest issue defensively last year. They just wore out in the second half against the good teams. That could have been because the offense was so inconsistent. I think they are much deeper this year.

On the other hand offensively they played a bunch of good defensive teams. That led to missed opportunities after a turnover, a bunch of 3 and outs, turnovers, short field etc. I am not sure what the ACC will look like defensively this year.

Hard to predict 10-2 because you have to be really good on both sides of the ball to win games today.

I'm confident in Louisville, but they are not beating Auburn that team is on another level this season. Going against that Ga team last year, still showed the caliber of player the better teams have especially like the sec. We just arn't quite their yet. And we had Grantham who knew Richts philosphy and we still could not stop them especially in the trenches.

I'm confident in Louisville, but they are not beating Auburn that team is on another level this season. Going against that Ga team last year, still showed the caliber of player the better teams have especially like the sec. We just arn't quite their yet. And we had Grantham who knew Richts philosphy and we still could not stop them especially in the trenches.
We were competitive In all games except for GA last year. Our QB situation really showed up in that game. We had Fl state on the ropes before a meltdown of epic proportions and they had kicked a lot of Supposedly top tier sec teams. We killed #4 ranked? Florida the year before in the bowl. We had a crap game vs GA. Not a tier above us. But they were in that game. With any QB growth at all (which I believe has happened) and Bobbys propensity for opening a season with a bang,especially in his second season, we will prevail.
I guess you are one of the posters we are going to have to pull and drag along as you stated above "they are not beating Auburn". I really don't get that any true card fan would say this kind of thing. Once again some of our fan base is part of the world that my team continues to "shock".

Well each fan has their own way looking at things i choose to call it as if i was betting my house on it. And brutha i ain't gonna lose that! I tell myself every year we are gonna beat Uk in BB, and that show ain't happened does that make me a terrible fan ?

Auburn is replacing some folks as well, but I agree that a better performance than the dud we threw in the Belk Bowl against UGA will be necessary. I want to see how we do with a healthy, coached up Bonathon or the QB that is good enough to beat him out. Our offense did get dominated by Georgia but our defense was fine for 3 quarters till the UGA power running game wore us out. If we move the football, score some points its game on Sept 5th. If we struggle offensively again, whatever the reason, we will get worn down by the Auburn offense. I hope we have success.

L1C4!

I think Louisville's first 22 will be fine. I believe the issue will be with the depth. Depth is ever more important with the tougher schedule and the depth chart has quite a few RS and True freshman. I believe how they perform will be the key to UL's season. I believe it will also be the key to UK' success as they are also very young and inexperienced

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT