ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Winston or Mariota

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
If you are an NFL GM and you have to pick one of these guys, who do you select?

For me, the answer is clear. Marcus Mariota is a heck of a player and by all accounts an even better person. However there is no way I pick him over Winston. Winston can be a knucklehead and that certainly is a big issue but there is no doubt he is way more gifted than MM. Mariota is a smart guy and is a winner. He is the kind of guy you want your daughter to bring home. However I don't see an NFL arm and he plays in a system where he isn't making many pre-snap reads and quite frankly isn't that complex. He is also fairly thin, so I'm not sure he can withstand the NFL punishment. Winston, on the other hand, has a big arm and plays in a much more traditional pro style offense. He is a very big guy and a great athlete (also plays baseball) even at that size. He did turn the ball over a lot this year, but I think much of that is because he had to take more chances because their defense was much more deficient this year.

I think with MM you are more likely getting RGIII. With JW you are going to get Big Ben Roethlisberger.

Thoughts?

I'm wanting to say Winston but he's too much of a knucklehead for me. No pun intended! Mariotta is the safe pick.

Originally posted by Knucklehank1:

If you are an NFL GM and you have to pick one of these guys, who do you select?

For me, the answer is clear. Marcus Mariota is a heck of a player and by all accounts an even better person. However there is no way I pick him over Winston. Winston can be a knucklehead and that certainly is a big issue but there is no doubt he is way more gifted than MM. Mariota is a smart guy and is a winner. He is the kind of guy you want your daughter to bring home. However I don't see an NFL arm and he plays in a system where he isn't making many pre-snap reads and quite frankly isn't that complex. He is also fairly thin, so I'm not sure he can withstand the NFL punishment. Winston, on the other hand, has a big arm and plays in a much more traditional pro style offense. He is a very big guy and a great athlete (also plays baseball) even at that size. He did turn the ball over a lot this year, but I think much of that is because he had to take more chances because their defense was much more deficient this year.

I think with MM you are more likely getting RGIII. With JW you are going to get Big Ben Roethlisberger.

Thoughts?
Agree. If I'm a GM I take Winston without much concern. I think the sexual assault case doesn't really stand up (a lot like the Kobe Bryant case) and the rest of the "infractions" have been pretty minor. Drinking Coke out of ketchup cups at McDonalds? Oh the humanity!

Dude has the arm, the smarts, and the leadership to be a big time player on Sundays, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT