ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions on team after last night

ULCard17

1250+
Mar 20, 2014
I have been holding my opinions on this team all season long. I still thought they were a good team until the Notre Dame game when they didn't look very competitive. Then I figured we were done. I didn't get to watch the game live
sad0001.r191677.gif
, it's okay, they say I will live. Just finished watching the replay. That team looked like they were on a mission last night. I could see it in their eyes. If they come out like that for the rest of their games, well, let's just say it will be fun to watch.

I would call it a sense of urgency that's been missing in most of the big games this season.I saw it against uk,but for the most part,guys have not played with that urgency in big games to do what's necessary for the team.Great individual performances don't necessarily translate to team victories.

I saw some unity yesterday against an outstanding opponent.

I think if we can beat UVA we can beat anybody. I know that it's all about matchups and UVA plays differently that other teams but they are the standard for defense and are the number 2 team in the nation.

We have a small margin for error. I think we can make the sweet 16 no problem. After that any team we play will either be a team that we have already played or a team like the ones we have played.

I say TREZ, Rozier and Blackshear will lead us to Elite8, ALL BETS OFF THEN UNTIL opponent is seen; not really concerned about ACC tourney b/c there is so much more D to get right now that Pitino made adjustments. UNC will be another huge battle like UVA. A lot at stake for both teams on Thursday!

Originally posted by ULCard17:
I have been holding my opinions on this team all season long. I still thought they were a good team until the Notre Dame game when they didn't look very competitive. Then I figured we were done. I didn't get to watch the game live
sad0001.r191677.gif
, it's okay, they say I will live. Just finished watching the replay. That team looked like they were on a mission last night. I could see it in their eyes. If they come out like that for the rest of their games, well, let's just say it will be fun to watch.
In all seriousness, the difference last night was the expulsion of the switching zone defense. If you noticed, there were very few blown defensive assignments last night. The guys were playing the type of defense they're capable of playing as a team. They never could grasp that complicated switching zone defense and that created a lot of pressure on them because they were just thinking about what they needed to be doing instead of just doing what they already knew. My biggest beef is it took coach about 2 weeks longer than it should have for him to scrap it and go with what the kids were comfortable playing. He is a stubborn man, but in the end it's still a Marathon, and the real season begins Thursday.

Go CARDS!!!

Originally posted by Cue Card:
Originally posted by ULCard17:
sad0001.r191677.gif
In all seriousness, the difference last night was the expulsion of the switching zone defense. If you noticed, there were very few blown defensive assignments last night. The guys were playing the type of defense they're capable of playing as a team. They never could grasp that complicated switching zone defense and that created a lot of pressure on them because they were just thinking about what they needed to be doing instead of just doing what they already knew. My biggest beef is it took coach about 2 weeks longer than it should have for him to scrap it and go with what the kids were comfortable playing. He is a stubborn man, but in the end it's still a Marathon, and the real season begins Thursday.

Go CARDS!!!
I noticed that they looked like a team on the same page. Maybe Pitino has his reasons for waiting until March to change defensive schemes.

I've thought about this, too. My assumption is that in practice, the guys look like they understand the matchup zone, but for whatever reason it wasn't translating to game time. So what seems like stubbornness on Pitino's part is actually him waiting for it to start clicking in games. Then once we got into March, he decided there wasn't enough time so he made a change.

That's just my impression.

I am just glad they finally stepped up and won a big game at home. They have had some clunkers at home this season. It would have been a shame if they lost last night they deserved to win. I thought they stepped up and punched Virginia in the nose and when Virginia punched back we came right back. Great effort hope they can continue on in the NCAA with more efforts like this. If not we will be going home early. On another note i think Virginia is very good. I would like to see them get a shot at UK. I think they play the type of defense that would frustrate the heck out of UK.

Originally posted by BrewCrewCard:
I am just glad they finally stepped up and won a big game at home. They have had some clunkers at home this season. It would have been a shame if they lost last night they deserved to win. I thought they stepped up and punched Virginia in the nose and when Virginia punched back we came right back. Great effort hope they can continue on in the NCAA with more efforts like this. If not we will be going home early. On another note i think Virginia is very good. I would like to see them get a shot at UK. I think they play the type of defense that would frustrate the heck out of UK.
If those two meet up, the final score might very well be in the 30's. I could see a 37-35 final score with how those two play defense.

I think if nothing else, we proved we are capable of beating an elite team, which wasn't something we had done until last night. Our best win was vs UNC, but they looked completely overmatched last night, I'm not sure they are really any good. Was a nice way to bounce back from being housed by Notre Dame the other night. This team looks alot like the 2012 team - challenged offensively, but defense can keep us in any game. We don't have a Siva or Gorgs on this team, and Chris Smith and Kuric played well in stretches for us that year, but that team didnt have anyone as good as either Trez or Terry either. There seems to be a pretty good dropoff after the top 5 or 6 teams this year, i think the next group of 20 teams could win or lose vs each other on a given night on a neutral floor. Time will tell.

Well, I just don't see it like some of you guys when it comes to Virginia. UK would throttle the Cavs. I think there are a handful of teams that could beat UK and Virginia is not one of them. They have nothing that could stop UK's size and even if their defense held UK down a little, their offense doesn't have enough to beat UK.

Here are the teams that UK fans better be concerned with.

Duke - Even though they have little depth, they can score and they have a big man better than any UK big man.

Iowa State - A great combination of inside and outside talent. Their bigs can bring UK's bigs away from the basket.

Arizona - A team than can match up inside with UK and has a great go to player in Stanley Johnson.

Wisconsin - Much like Iowa State, the Badgers bigs can have UK's bigs defending away from the basket and Kaminski can make the difference.

Baylor - Another team with good bigs and also a above average 3 pt shooting team.

LSU - Here's my surprise pick. Depending on what happens in the SEC tourney, UK may have to beat the Tigers 3 times if they face off again in the final 4 which is most likely the only way they could meet. LSU's bigs have already shown they can play with UK's.

So that's about it in my opinion. Teams like Virginia, Villanova, North Carolina, Kansas, and Gonzaga have some elements to compete but not enough to beat UK. Of course anything can happen in college hoops so UK could lose to Oklahoma or Maryland, but more than likely if they're going to lose, it's going to take a team who can make a lot of 3's while having enough bigs that can keep UK's bigs away from the basket.

I did not say that VA would beat them i said they have the type of defense that would bother the heck out of UK. I think they would have the UK guards very frustrated whether that would translate to a Cavs win not sure but i do think they would have a chance. Other than that Duke and Arizona might have the best shot.

Broghdon (sp?) is great shot and the remainder of the UVA starters are efficient players. If they had Anderson (? broke his had against us) along with Broghdon, UVA would have enough outside shooting to make a game against UK very interesting. I don't believe Anderson(?) can recover from the affects of an appendectomy before the end of the NCAA.

Originally posted by 80,86:
Well, I just don't see it like some of you guys when it comes to Virginia. UK would throttle the Cavs. I think there are a handful of teams that could beat UK and Virginia is not one of them. They have nothing that could stop UK's size and even if their defense held UK down a little, their offense doesn't have enough to beat UK.

Here are the teams that UK fans better be concerned with.

Duke - Even though they have little depth, they can score and they have a big man better than any UK big man.

Iowa State - A great combination of inside and outside talent. Their bigs can bring UK's bigs away from the basket.

Arizona - A team than can match up inside with UK and has a great go to player in Stanley Johnson.

Wisconsin - Much like Iowa State, the Badgers bigs can have UK's bigs defending away from the basket and Kaminski can make the difference.

Baylor - Another team with good bigs and also a above average 3 pt shooting team.

LSU - Here's my surprise pick. Depending on what happens in the SEC tourney, UK may have to beat the Tigers 3 times if they face off again in the final 4 which is most likely the only way they could meet. LSU's bigs have already shown they can play with UK's.

So that's about it in my opinion. Teams like Virginia, Villanova, North Carolina, Kansas, and Gonzaga have some elements to compete but not enough to beat UK. Of course anything can happen in college hoops so UK could lose to Oklahoma or Maryland, but more than likely if they're going to lose, it's going to take a team who can make a lot of 3's while having enough bigs that can keep UK's bigs away from the basket.
Agree. I don't think UVA would be a serious threat to UK. I respect UVA and think they have a great team, but UK is a bad matchup for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT