ADVERTISEMENT

O-Line at Beginning of Last Year

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
By most accounts, it looks like the guys from the O-Line who went to the NFL are having great camps so far. With that, it is surprising that the O-line struggled so much at the start of last season. I'm hoping we don't have similar growing pains this year, but I'm afraid this will be our Achilles heel. It is going to be tough to get these guys to gel quickly. Kind of stinks that our schedule is more front-loaded this year.

We had three new O-line starters at the beginning of the 2006 season under Petrino, and that turned out OK. Keeping my fingers crossed about this year...

The "flip-flop" technique that we employed on the OL is totally different from what most OL's
are used to.

It takes time, and reps. I'm banking that we will see improvement in our returners, but the JUCO's may have trouble for a while just like we did last year.

We'll find out pretty soon.

The heart and soul of an offensive line is the Center. And I love the fact that Tobiah worked his butt off to win a Scholly. But everytime I focused on him last year against the better teams he was getting manhandled. Then there were the off target and ill-timed snaps. There were other problems for sure. The tackle opposite Brown was a problem until Epps solidified it late in the season. I am hoping Tobiah has improved in the off season or they have found a better option at center. The O-line really has me concerned. An unknown at almost ever spot.

The heart and soul of an offensive line is the Center. And I love the fact that Tobiah worked his butt off to win a Scholly. But everytime I focused on him last year against the better teams he was getting manhandled. Then there were the off target and ill-timed snaps. There were other problems for sure. The tackle opposite Brown was a problem until Epps solidified it late in the season. I am hoping Tobiah has improved in the off season or they have found a better option at center. The O-line really has me concerned. An unknown at almost ever spot.
I'll be surprised if someone different isn't playing center this year. I too think he worked his butt off and earned what he got - a a holly and a starting role. Yet, I think we'll see a different guy there. I think the OL has talent; last year there was talent but they had a whole new scheme to learn and they weren't necessarily the types of guys who fit the scheme. I have high hopes this group pushes each other and the guys who come out on top will be fine.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT