ADVERTISEMENT

Not that impressed with Notre Dame, huh?

ACCCard

800+
Nov 23, 2012
Time to pull that thread back up. Many wouldn't admit ND was pretty good at YUM. Doesn't matter what previous teams did in NCAA as it pertains to this year's team, they are playing well and have had a rock solid season.

This post was edited on 3/13 11:57 PM by ACCCard

I think a few referred to that loss as "bad".

laugh.r191677.gif

I actually thought and still do that ND had the best game against us that I've seen in a while.

I think they are the scariest team in the acc this year. Ive always felt they have a good chance to beat anybody.

They're just kind of in the ACC, like they were kind of in the Big East. F'em and their elite football team. Maybe one of
these days, a conference will grow a pair and require the same from them. JMHO! GO CARDS!!

I like playing ND in all of the sports, and you can't play them regularly if you're not in the same conference.

Glad to be affiliated with them and the rest of the ACC...

Originally posted by Briggsky:
I actually thought and still do that ND had the best game against us that I've seen in a while.
That was the most difficult thing to take about that game other than the final score of course. They played great and the kids couldn't do anything about it. The Cardinals only hope in this post season is to play stout defense no matter who they play, and to have big games out of Harrell, Rozier, and Blackshear. We need a 4th option to step up too and that has to be Snider. The 5 spot needs to rebound and play solid defense, and hopefully grab a garbage bucket or two, and Gill has to look like he belongs at this level, which right now I'm not sure about. I would like to see more of Johnson since he looks to have a D1 body. I just haven't seen enough of him to really get a strong feel for what he can provide. Anas needs to play high in the high low, and he needs to turn and shoot that elbow jumper, even if he misses it, Harrell is the low post guy and he could grab a offensive rebound or two.

Selection Sunday is tomorrow. I'll be glad when we know when, where and who we play.

I will applaud ND for flying under the radar in the ACC tournament coming in and walking away with the hardware.

No doubt, their PG is world class, and they are a poster child for offensive execution.

Whatever they accomplish this year, good for them. I have no problem with ND.

But, they haven't been past the Sweet 16 since 1978. They have reached the Sweet 16 one time since 1987.

You say their past has nothing to do with "this" team, well maybe it doesn't. Yet, history keeps repeating itself for their program, so it's not like their doubters have no ammunition to support their position. If people don't want to be impressed with ND, it's their right, considering ND hasn't done anything impressive in the NCAAs in decades.

Their defense is horrid. Nothing happened this weekend that changed that. They just outscored a couple big time programs that like to get out and run.

If ND re-writes history this year I'll tip my cap to them. If they flame out like they always do I'll laugh.

Fans have a way of putting too much stock into conference tournaments. Maybe this ND group is going to build off this huge weekend and take it to the next level. I will be happy for their program if they do.

ND has no excuses this year, especially now. They took UNC and Duke to the woodshed so there is no looking back now. As you say, it's the best team they've had in years, so anything less than an E8 is an underachievement.

This post was edited on 3/14 11:27 PM by Ipartiedwithhopgood

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:

ND has no excuses this year, especially now. They took UNC and Duke to the woodshed so there is no looking back now. As you say, it's the best team they've had in years, so anything less than an E8 is an underachievement.

This post was edited on 3/14 11:27 PM by Ipartiedwithhopgood
I was just talking to one of my friends about this ND team. I am really curious to see how they do in the NCAAT since they have a pretty long history of getting bounced early. If any ND team were to buck this trend, one would think it would have to be this one. If they do happen to get upset really early then they would have to be really disappointed.

Listening to the post game interview, Mike Brey sounded very confident in this team. And right now it looks like he should be.

Originally posted by shadow force:
I was just talking to one of my friends about this ND team. I am really curious to see how they do in the NCAAT since they have a pretty long history of getting bounced early. If any ND team were to buck this trend, one would think it would have to be this one. If they do happen to get upset really early then they would have to be really disappointed.

Listening to the post game interview, Mike Brey sounded very confident in this team. And right now it looks like he should be.
It's always a luck of the draw type of deal.

If ND plays against a half court bruising type of opponent they could be in trouble.

If they can avoid that kind of draw and avoid teams that relish half court play of course, they are very dangerous.

I hope they do well. I really do. I like their coach, and their players.

The NCAAs typically don't go full tilt up and down. Can this team defend well enough in a half court game against a quality opponent to advance? I have my doubts, but they aren't the only top tier team with flaws.

This post was edited on 3/14 10:08 PM by Ipartiedwithhopgood

Previous years underachieving in NCAAT is noteworthy, but not relevant to any current year team. The kids are not bound by nor do they think that way. Brey may be ready to step up. Team is smart and talented and better than previous hokey teams.

Originally posted by ACCCard:
Previous years underachieving in NCAAT is noteworthy, but not relevant to any current year team. The kids are not bound by nor do they think that way. Brey may be ready to step up. Team is smart and talented and better than previous hokey teams.
NCAAT history is relevant.

How do you know what kids are thinking? Are you on their team?

I'd say they were plenty ready for the ACCT, so they are on fire no doubt.

They've also been exposed at times this year for having a soft defense.

They are going to be a 2 or 3 seed so they should go on a deep run, they will be favored to win in their first three games, maybe four if there is an upset on the other side of their bracket. So if they make a run, well... they should.

I think they are the last 2 seed. Very impressive win last night, UNC was throttling them, they withstood the charge and responded with great confidence. ND is really the second best team we played all year, with Duke being a close third. Matchups, but that Vasturia kid is just a howdy doody assassin. And Connaughton is money, not to mention Grant and Auguste. I like them in the Final Four depending on region.

The thing I liked most about last night was the trophy presentation. This is the first time a large number of Notre Dame fans witnessed one of the two big sports teams win a conference tournament championship. It woke me up last night. I never watch women's basketball so I've never witnessed a moment like last night. The pure joy on those young men's faces struck a cord with me. I wish ND would join the ACC in football now. It would mean a great deal to our team to compete for conference championships and we could keep our most important rivalries. I'm hoping more will agree with me at ND and one day soon we'll become full members of the ACC.

It is possible to be impressed with the 24-2 run last night and also think ND is done in the 2nd round. The Irish always struggle mightily with a big, physical, defensive minded team that makes them work in the half court. Duke and UNC aren't really that sort of team. ND can run and gun with them and have a good shot at success if the shots are falling. UK would surely slow the Irish down and just kick the crap out of them physically. UK could seriously get any shot they wanted on ND's 111 ranked defense.

If ND is a 3 would anyone be shocked if a 6 seed MSU type team beat them in the Round of 32?

The issue to me is the response midway in the second half, and ND passes that eyetest with flying colors. Could it be any tougher to play on the road in front of 23,000 screaming UNC fans and bury a very hot team with outside shooting? You are kidding yourself if you think they are a easy out. The only doubt is how Brey will get them focussed mentally for the tournament, they can beat anybody talent wise in my opinion, including UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT