ADVERTISEMENT

Nolan Smith Looking To Leave?

If Smith leaves now, just for the sake of leaving UL; it will tell me a great deal more about just how horrible a hire that Payne really is. I understood Nolan’s interest in the G League opportunity, but if he is simply wanting to distance himself from Kenny and this 2024 season …… we better prepare for a disastrous season.

Sorry, I am not the ”glass is half full“ sort of fan, but this is not going well at all.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
If Smith leaves now, just for the sake of leaving UL; it will tell me a great deal more about just how horrible a hire that Payne really is. I understood Nolan’s interest in the G League opportunity, but if he is simply wanting to distance himself from Kenny and this 2024 season …… we better prepare for a disastrous season.

Sorry, I am not the ”glass is half full“ sort of fan, but this is not going well at all.
It already tells you all you need to know. Who wants to leave major CBB to coach the G league? Dude just wants out.

Actually, I could interpret pursuing the HC position in a G league team as a step up from an assistant job at a P5 college, so in itself, that would not necessarily mean Nolan was intend on distancing himself from Payne and UL.

Admittedly, I do suspect in this case that Nolan may very well see Payne and UL as the disaster that some of us fear, but in fairness to all concerned, Smith may very well have seen his career options better suited towards the NBA.

College assistant coaches had long been associated with recruiting HS kids, where their success could lead to a HC opportunity. Now the NIL and transfer portal changes that dramatically.

In today’s world social media and message boards is the reason this kind of stuff can’t get leaked or you have to get out in front of it.

KP has completely mishandled the PR part of this job. Nolan and his wife have completely mishandled it. The last thing they need to be doing is defend last year or any part of last year. The whole Nike issue while minor is still just a stupid decision.
Flowers was a Smith recruit

I really want KP to succeed for many reasons but something is really off on how he is handling it. It doesn’t help that many behind the scenes aren’t fully on board. It is really hard to envision this ending well.

Reactions: shadow force
Sorry to burst the KP detractors bubbles unless these so called behind the scenes individuals are Junior Bridgeman and Wade Houston . KP gonna get his chance as he should. If he fails that's on him. However he is deserving as any one else . And the bottom line Josh has stated he is going to do just that give him a chance .

He has a chances, and is not deserving. Definitely displays a weakness to not hold players, nor coaches for their work, nor their behavior. Shows weaknesses and not being in control. Question if their are standards and rules have been communicated.

Sorry to burst the KP detractors bubbles unless these so called behind the scenes individuals are Junior Bridgeman and Wade Houston . KP gonna get his chance as he should. If he fails that's on him. However he is deserving as any one else . And the bottom line Josh has stated he is going to do just that give him a chance .
So what is "chance" defined as with your statement? Some would say three years, some two and some just the one.

And what exactly is the result of a successful chance? 15 and 15? That will differ with people as well.

So this give him a chance ended after last season. Now he may deserve another chance but once again, what will constitute that?

I think it's clear as a bright blue sky. KP should be coaching in the Sun Belt conference and working his way upward like everyone else. He in no way is ready for a top 10 job and I think last season makes that obvious.

No way a established head coach at a power conference school would have only won four games last season.

So what is "chance" defined as with your statement? Some would say three years, some two and some just the one.

And what exactly is the result of a successful chance? 15 and 15? That will differ with people as well.

So this give him a chance ended after last season. Now he may deserve another chance but once again, what will constitute that?

I think it's clear as a bright blue sky. KP should be coaching in the Sun Belt conference and working his way upward like everyone else. He in no way is ready for a top 10 job and I think last season makes that obvious.

No way a established head coach at a power conference school would have only won four games last season.
All i can tell you is get in contact with Josh and see what he personally deems to be the deciding factors. Problem with those like yourself that don't want KP he gonna show improvement enough this year to warrant full filling his contract. That's just my opinion which could be totally wrong and if so . So be it my take all along . Just give the guy the time he signed on to see if he can turn it around. If not he knows he will be let go .

Its not like I don't want KP to get a chance. If he turns things around this season, I would gladly like to see him continue on being the coach. I just don't believe that's going to happen and I don't see anything that would make me reconsider. Maybe there is?

I hope there is. I want the Cards to win.

Its not like I don't want KP to get a chance. If he turns things around this season, I would gladly like to see him continue on being the coach. I just don't believe that's going to happen and I don't see anything that would make me reconsider. Maybe there is?

I hope there is. I want the Cards to win.
Right. I sure as hell don't want to sit through another big losing season like last year. That was excruciating.

If Payne makes the NCAAT this year I'll gladly say he can coach.

You either like me or you don't . Don't dislike me when i'm not meeting your standards and when i do . I'm your best buddy. True is pick me up when i'm down and when i'm up clebrate anything else is fake ASF fandom! All this I WANT HIM TO SUCEED BUT! Is B.S NO such thing as in between fandom . Your either on the train or off.

Last edited:
You either like me or you don't . Don't dislike me when i'm not meeting your standards and when i do . I'm your best buddy. True is pick me up when i'm down and when i'm up clebrate anything else is fake ASF fandom! All this I WANT HIM TO SUCEED BUT! Is B.S NO such thing as in between fandom . Your either on the train or is
It is possible to hold two independent thoughts. I want Payne to succeed both for him and for me. At the same time I have not seen anything that he has done so far that leads me to believe that things will turn out great.

You either like me or you don't . Don't dislike me when i'm not meeting your standards and when i do . I'm your best buddy. True is pick me up when i'm down and when i'm up clebrate anything else is fake ASF fandom! All this I WANT HIM TO SUCEED BUT! Is B.S NO such thing as in between fandom . Your either on the train or off.
Has nothing to do about liking KP. I don't know the man. What I want is success. How is this difficult to understand?

I will support UofL regardless. I'm on the train of winning Louisville basketball and if KP can do this, that would be great. It's really that simple.

IMO it was an il-ltimed play by Smith to gain assurance from Kenny and Heird to be named Associate HC at some point. Or gain more input on the staff's day-to-day operations. I know i am going out on a limb here, but it is the only way I see to make sense of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT