ADVERTISEMENT

Next time someone says we don't need to take these chances...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...Remember the situation with this "kid" and Alabama: Jonathan Taylor

His name was briefly mentioned in this space several months back. Not sure if we were a serious possibility for a transfer. But he ended up at one of the elite football programs in the nation, and back in trouble shortly thereafter.

MY MENTION of the kid now is not that we're taking similar chances with other transfers (we may be). Or that we were lucky to not admit this guy (we were). Nor to call attention to the reference to U of L in the article as a program that will "take any SEC reject". (Who cares what this Schlabach guy thinks anyway?)

My point is that we hear from some of our fans in these situations that U of L doesn't need to take these chances, that the risk is too high. That's in fact the point that this writer is making about Alabama. Yet, they did take him and are paying the price much as we could have. For all of the cost-benefit analysis that some of us do, the benefit was judged to be large enough in Bama's case. Faced with another similar opportunity, my guess is they'll think about this one going wrong and still do it all over again.

If/when we ever get to a point when we don't have to take the risks that the Alabamas of the world do to win football games, I expect us to take a pass on a future Jonathan Taylor. But if Bama is following this script, I'm not looking for us to chart a different course. We will admit the kid, put him on lockdown, and cross our fingers...

Zipp, what the hell was the shot at Petrino all about?
He throws the that line about BP taking SEC rejects that have had issues with domestic violence, but cites no examples.
I'm not aware of any are you?

I don't understand the criticism Alabama is getting over this. Is the implication that had Alabama not given the kid a second chance then this kid WOULD not have had another domestic violence incident? The kid was either going to change or not change whether Alabama accepted him or not. Alabama chose to give the kid a second chance and hope that he'd change for the better rather than join the others who wanted to simply write him off and relegate him to the scrap heap of humanity.

The only reason I would criticize Alabama is if they had now taken the approach of "We'll let this play out in the legal system before we make any judgments." approach and allow the kid to play while this drags through the courts.

Originally posted by vegasville1:
Zipp, what the hell was the shot at Petrino all about? He throws the that line about BP taking SEC rejects that have had issues with domestic violence, but cites no examples. I'm not aware of any are you?Many posters follow these writers more than I do. This Schlabach guy writes like a journalistic, moralistic hater. And I don't have much use for that type of analysis nor do I recommend that anyone focus on the remark. It doesn't relate to the point I was trying to make anyway.

If a school like Alabama will admit this type of kid and take the risk it did, how can some of our more moral-high-ground posters criticize U of L for taking the same risk? And do it on the basis of "we don't NEED to take the risk". And Alabama does need to??

Not to say you admit just anyone. You do your homework, have checks in place, and wish for good luck...

Check the number of off the field issues Alabama football has had this past year. Saban has a lot of problems that need to be fixed quickly. Appear to have above the law mentality.

Originally posted by zipp:

Zipp, what the hell was the shot at Petrino all about? He throws the that line about BP taking SEC rejects that have had issues with domestic violence, but cites no examples. I'm not aware of any are you?

Many posters follow these writers more than I do. This Schlabach guy writes like a journalistic, moralistic hater. And I don't have much use for that type of analysis nor do I recommend that anyone focus on the remark. It doesn't relate to the point I was trying to make anyway.

If a school like Alabama will admit this type of kid and take the risk it did, how can some of our more moral-high-ground posters criticize U of L for taking the same risk? And do it on the basis of "we don't NEED to take the risk". And Alabama does need to??

Not to say you admit just anyone. You do your homework, have checks in place, and wish for good luck...
The shot at Petrino comes from Schlabach's previous work at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. After what happened with the Falcons, he is one of the many Atlanta area sports media types who learned that any article bashing Petrino in one way or another brings in huge site hits.

The online media in Atlanta are going to absolutely love having Petrino and Louisville in the kickoff classic this year.

Zipp, what the hell was the shot at Petrino all about?
He throws the that line about BP taking SEC rejects that have had issues with domestic violence, but cites no examples.
I'm not aware of any are you?
The DE that is transferring in from TCU had domestic violence charges. He was Big 12 POY and dismissed from the program the following season.

A bogus accuser oughta face the same penalty. If the penalty for something like rape is five years, the false accuser should get the five years.

Gee, I wonder if these accusations would diminish?...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT