ADVERTISEMENT

New Graduate Transfer Rules?

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...evin-lennon-puts-transfer-rules-priority-list

Coaches from big and small schools are already jumping on board.

Belmont coach Rick Byrd, the basketball rules committee chairman, believes the transfer issue would clear up if players took more time to contemplate their college choices. Byrd has 711 career wins and said he hasn't had a player leave his program in over a decade. Still, he supports the NCAA's move to get rid of special waivers and agrees with the concept for graduate students.

So does Kentucky's John Calipari.

"You need two years in grad school anyway, so it makes sense," Calipari said.

Eliminating waivers and making grad students sit out a year would "cut this thing by two-thirds," he added.

IMO, if you've earned your 4-yr degree, then you have the right to kick the NCAA monkeys off your back.
Calipari and these other guys are shaking in their boots because they can see programs like UL putting together an experienced national contender using grad students. They are afraid of running into scrappy and experienced teams like Wisconsin (built from the ground up) or next year's UL (built from proven winners) crushing their one-and-done dreams to a national championship. They know experience will trump talent in close games especially at the college level.

I see no problem with the graduate transfer rule. If a kid has been in college and already received his degree NO WAY he should be punished for that.

I'm not on board with taking any more rights away from the student athletes. The coaches and the NCAA are making more money than they can count, yet they want to take away an earned right from a college graduate to help maintain more continuity in their program. I'm sorry, but that's BS. If a coach can take away a player's scholarship, which just happened at BYU, then a player should be able to pull the cord and transfer as well, with no penalty if you've already graduated. The graduate transfer waiver rule is one of the few NCAA rules I fully support. Getting rid of it would be a step in the wrong direction.

Reactions: Mayoman
From the article: "You have one line of thinking that says when a student has earned their undergraduate degree they've earned the right to go wherever they want without any kind of NCAA restrictions," Lennon said. "I think, unfortunately, what the data has shown is that people are transferring and they are not completing their graduate degrees because the vast majority of those degrees are two years."

Wouldn't one solution be let the kids play immediately, but guarantee 2 years of scholarship? Is the lack of graduation on the kids or the schools?

It sounds like the complaint is that graduate transfers are treated differently than undergraduate transfers... but IMO, that is a knee jerk reaction... give it a few years to normalize before making changes. I see no issue with the 5th year transfer rules...seems like they would be celebrated; but some coaches may see an competitive disadvantage.

Heck, I'd be okay with 1 free transfer for ANY student... coaches can leave without penalty, schools can cut players without penalty... students should get the same opportunity.

It sounds like the complaint is that graduate transfers are treated differently than undergraduate transfers... but IMO, that is a knee jerk reaction... give it a few years to normalize before making changes. I see no issue with the 5th year transfer rules...seems like they would be celebrated; but some coaches may see an competitive disadvantage.

Heck, I'd be okay with 1 free transfer for ANY student... coaches can leave without penalty, schools can cut players without penalty... students should get the same opportunity.

For the most part, that's happening today. That's how the Cards landed Harrell. He signed with Virginia Tech, they had a coaching change and he was allowed to back out of his LOI without having to sit out a year.

This is a small school issue. These really good graduate players can't be replaced at these smaller schools. It makes it really tough on the smaller schools. It doesn't hurt the bigger schools or power schools. In most cases that graduate player is leaving for more playing time or a better situation to finish out his career. The statement by Cal is just stupid like 1 year of college isn't a problem for a freshman. He fails to realize the role he has played in this whole mess by celebrating the NBA and his successes.

The bottom line is a kid has 5 years to complete school and 4 years of playing. However that kid wants to complete those years should be for him or her to determine. If the kid isn't getting the graduate degree then help him/her financially achieve that goal. Don't make him/her finish up a school and never enter graduate school. That is what will happen these graduate players aren't going to sit out a year at least they went to graduate school.

Before long kids will be able to switch schools without penalty of sitting out a year, regardless of class, then it's going to be a free for all, this has been being discussed the last few years. College sports as we all know and love it are going to be a thing of the past sooner rather than later.

This is a small school issue. These really good graduate players can't be replaced at these smaller schools. It makes it really tough on the smaller schools. It doesn't hurt the bigger schools or power schools. In most cases that graduate player is leaving for more playing time or a better situation to finish out his career. The statement by Cal is just stupid like 1 year of college isn't a problem for a freshman. He fails to realize the role he has played in this whole mess by celebrating the NBA and his successes.

The bottom line is a kid has 5 years to complete school and 4 years of playing. However that kid wants to complete those years should be for him or her to determine. If the kid isn't getting the graduate degree then help him/her financially achieve that goal. Don't make him/her finish up a school and never enter graduate school. That is what will happen these graduate players aren't going to sit out a year at least they went to graduate school.

Its funny how some have a trouble with a kid doing this, yet have no problem with one and done. I wonder what the number of graduate transfer are each year.

Reactions: autograf
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...evin-lennon-puts-transfer-rules-priority-list

Coaches from big and small schools are already jumping on board.

Belmont coach Rick Byrd, the basketball rules committee chairman, believes the transfer issue would clear up if players took more time to contemplate their college choices. Byrd has 711 career wins and said he hasn't had a player leave his program in over a decade. Still, he supports the NCAA's move to get rid of special waivers and agrees with the concept for graduate students.

So does Kentucky's John Calipari.

"You need two years in grad school anyway, so it makes sense," Calipari said.

Eliminating waivers and making grad students sit out a year would "cut this thing by two-thirds," he added.
Cal is an A$$ hole

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT