ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA president Emmert wants end to one-and-done basketball players

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
In the final days before the deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NBA draft, the leaders of college and professional basketball agree the current arrangement is not ideal.

But when it comes to one-and-dones — players who attend college for one season before entering the draft — NCAA president Mark Emmert and NBA commissioner Adam Silver don't agree on a solution.

Emmert believes in a direct path from the high schools to the NBA, as there was before 2006. That was the route of such players as Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

"My position is a young man or woman shouldn't have to go to college to become a professional athlete," Emmert said in New York during an annual session with the Associated Press Sports Editors. "If they want to come to college to become a better athlete and get a degree, then come on.

"But to force someone to go to college that has no interest in being in college makes a travesty of the whole notion of a college athlete. I would love to work with anybody in the pro leagues to provide a system that works."
The rule was created by the NBA and its players' association and requires that a player be at least 19 years old or finished with at least one season of college before entering the draft.

The "one-and-done" rule is why players like Kevin Durant (Texas), Derrick Rose (Memphis) and Andrew Wiggins (Kansas) spent a year in college when they might otherwise have advanced directly to the NBA from high school.

Silver said he believes the NBA is better served by having more experienced players enter his league. At the NBA All-Star weekend in February, he said he would prefer a minimum age of 20.

But there's disagreement here from the players association, which wants players to earn paychecks sooner.

The college player has no say in the issue, even though he is most directly affected. But colleges have thought about ways around the NBA rule. The Big Ten is studying freshmen ineligibility, which hasn't been part of the college sports landscape since the early 1970s.

Emmert has other ideas. On Thursday, he floated the notion of allowing early entrants to spend one year in the NBA Developmental League and return to school.
Emmert also has suggested a NFL-style combine for pro prospects so that information about college players' future isn't coming from agents or coaches.

"They've been hearing since 8 that 'You're the best I've ever seen,' " Emmert said. One of the biggest problems for one-and-done recruits is a lack of "good, realistic, objective information," about their pro potential.

"They're not stupid kids," Emmert said. "But they're deluded about what their future holds in basketball."

At college basketball's showcase event, the Final Four, Duke captured the national championship with three freshmen in the starting lineup. All three — Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones — have declared for the draft. Thursday, Ohio State freshman D'Angelo Russell said he was turning pro.

Freshmen to the NBA draft isn't exactly an epidemic. Russell became the 12th to declare, including Kansas' Kelly Oubre and Cliff Alexender. Kentucky and Duke have three each. But there is a perception issue. Wisconsin coach Bo Ryan, whose team loaded with upperclassmen lost to the Blue Devils in the title game, referred to the one-and-done culture as "rent-a-player."
Becoming a great athlete is a wonderful thing, Emmert said. But players shouldn't be made to spend two semesters in college to make that happen.

"I want kids to come to college to become educated, and if they want to become better athletes, great," Emmert said. "But if they just want to get to the NBA as quickly as possible, don't come."

Lip service. That's all this crap is from Emmert. He sounds like he belongs inside the beltway helping the other lip service pros run the country.

Make freshmen ineligible. It's not the optimal solution, but that's within his control and will get the NBA's attention...

Reactions: FloridaCard
Making freshmen sit does no one any good. How does that help the players? All that does is take even more power away from players.
I like the baseball model... go pro immediately or wait three years. The problem is getting NCAA, NBA and NBPA all to agree.

Of course, I think the NCAA can do a lot to help their own cause, like guaranteeing scholarships for all 4 years; and providing a longer window to declare then return if not drafted and/or not signed with an agent. If Emmert was serious about the "student" part, he'd push that immediately.

Making freshmen sit does no one any good. How does that help the players? All that does is take even more power away from players.
I like the baseball model... go pro immediately or wait three years. The problem is getting NCAA, NBA and NBPA all to agree.

Of course, I think the NCAA can do a lot to help their own cause, like guaranteeing scholarships for all 4 years; and providing a longer window to declare then return if not drafted and/or not signed with an agent. If Emmert was serious about the "student" part, he'd push that immediately.

Fr ineligibility would do the STUDENT athlete a lot of good. IF they are serious about college, and not going OAD. Fr were ineligible for years and it didn't kill anybody. And during that time, the scholly's WERE for four years.

If they don't care about school, so what? Is it our problem? Judge Smails said it best...the world needs ditch diggers too.

They can go to Europe I believe.

Or better yet, get NIKE to take care of them for another year while playing in the NIKE Developmental League while they await the pot of gold.

Fr ineligibility would do the STUDENT athlete a lot of good. IF they are serious about college, and not going OAD. Fr were ineligible for years and it didn't kill anybody. And during that time, the scholly's WERE for four years.

If they don't care about school, so what? Is it our problem? Judge Smails said it best...the world needs ditch diggers too.

They can go to Europe I believe.

Or better yet, get NIKE to take care of them for another year while playing in the NIKE Developmental League while they await the pot of gold.

If the NCAA ever gets serious about the STUDENT part, then I might buy it ;-)

If they are truly serious about the STUDENT part then a kid should have the option to return to school anytime. A kid out of high school can go directly to an NBA development league of his choice or college. The top 100 kids are invited to a summer basketball camp run by the NCAA where scouts can evaluate the kid without their handlers. The NBA team can offer certain kids a spot in their development team if they are good enough. If that kid is called up to play for the team, that NBA team has to give the kid a guaranteed contract just as if he is drafted in the first round. Each year in the development league would count toward the 4-5 years of eligibility. If a kid wants to go back to school from the development league, he has to sit out 1 year just like a transfer and maintain a certain GPA before he can play for a college team. If a kid goes directly to college, the same current rule applies.

It is surprisingly easy to fix, but no one really wants to fix the problem. They just want to stand on their soap box blaming someone else when it is a problem they could easily fix themselves. Real simple allow the high school kids to enter the draft give them a timeline to decide. They go to school they have to start until their Junior year. You are talking less than 5 to 10 high school kids being drafted. Then you do it again on their junior year. College coaches will have enough information to plan for kids staying in the draft.

Everyone would adjust. The end result would be kids that weren't valued enough to be drafted where they thought would stay in school longer. Kids that weren't drafted at all would at least have an option to come back to school.

Making freshmen sit does no one any good. How does that help the players?...
Assuming we're basing this discussion on the Emmert article, he can only do things within his control. He can make freshmen ineligible--or the schools can--to beat the OAD system. My guess is that the NBA will change their rule shortly thereafter.

Emmert can't force kids, for example, to stay in school until after their junior seasons. Not if the NBA says that they can play in their league before then. You can't advocate the baseball model when the NCAA and the NBA aren't cooperating to make a change or an improvement. You need their cooperation for that to happen.

So, freshmen ineligibility is his only option...

So, freshmen ineligibility is his only option...

That would be the simple easy solution. I am not all that convinced it would be the best solution for the kid though. I think Emmert could put the burden on the coaches on who they decide to recruit. It's the one and done kids Emmert is claiming not to like, so what he could do is tell coaches that if they recruit a kid who leaves after 1 or even 2 years, that scholarship is frozen for 4. If a kid stays for 3, then all is forgiven and that scholarship could be filled immediately. That would make the coaches decide if a one or two and done talent is worth the price.

Just a thought.

If they choose not to want to sit then they have the option of playing overseas or going to the NBDL. The nba's problem is college basketball is their minor league system.

The nba's problem is college basketball is their minor league system.

That's the NCAA's problem. The NBA is more than happy to take advantage of the stage college provides for them to evaluate talent. Emmert isn't going to do anything about it either because he doesn't really care about the loss of academic integrity. His main focus is making money, and the rising HS stars brings attention and dollars to the game. He's just providing lip service.

I am not at all for freshmen ineligibility. It would kill college bball.

The best thing the NCAA can do is work with the NBA.

That's the NCAA's problem. The NBA is more than happy to take advantage of the stage college provides for them to evaluate talent. Emmert isn't going to do anything about it either because he doesn't really care about the loss of academic integrity. His main focus is making money, and the rising HS stars brings attention and dollars to the game. He's just providing lip service.

Your correct, I was meaning to say college baskebtall problem is that they are the NBA minor league system.

How do you think NBA expansion could help this problem? adding a few more teams will open up more spots for players.

Also I like how baseball does it, alothough baseball has a great farm system. I think if a player decides to go to college they spend 3 years, or go straight to the draft. Then allow for teams to draft players, or send them to the D League until they are ready. If they go undrafted thats a risk they have to take.

Your correct, I was meaning to say college baskebtall problem is that they are the NBA minor league system.

How do you think NBA expansion could help this problem? adding a few more teams will open up more spots for players.

Also I like how baseball does it, although baseball has a great farm system. I think if a player decides to go to college they spend 3 years, or go straight to the draft. Then allow for teams to draft players, or send them to the D League until they are ready. If they go undrafted thats a risk they have to take

IDK enough about the NBA to make any type of prediction concerning expansion. It would make sense though that more teams means more roster spots, and possibly helps the college game by having more college players playing college ball instead of pro players playing college ball.

I too like the idea of 3 years or go straight to the draft. Another option would be to let the kids opt for the draft out of HS, yet be allowed to go to college if they don't want to go sit on a NBA bench for 3 or 4 years while allowing the team that drafted them to retain their rights for their college careers.

I agree completely. The NCAA, when it comes to men's basketball and football, is about making money... NOT academics. For that reason alone, neither the NCAA nor the Power 5 will institute Freshmen ineligibility. It would hurt their investment too much. I think this is only lip service for the one who complain and possibly a negotiation ploy to keep it on the NBA/NBPA radar.

I'm not advocating freshmen ineligibility except as a fix of the OAD situation. It probably wouldn't last very long because the NBA would promptly change its rule. "The league" doesn't want freshmen ineligible either.

But I'm curious, for the sake or argument (imagine that), what about freshmen ineligibility would "kill" college basketball? A couple of you are saying that, but I don't accept that on face value. Not from where we are today where the quality of talent in college is already low by historical standards. What are your main arguments??

Reactions: Cue Card
I'm not advocating freshmen ineligibility except as a fix of the OAD situation. It probably wouldn't last very long because the NBA would promptly change its rule. "The league" doesn't want freshmen ineligible either.

But I'm curious, for the sake or argument (imagine that), what about freshmen ineligibility would "kill" college basketball? A couple of you are saying that, but I don't accept that on face value. Not from where we are today where the quality of talent in college is already low by historical standards. What are your main arguments??

I don't think it would kill college basketball at all. I actually like the idea just for the fact it would reintroduce the student part in the term student-athlete. I'm all for the education side of the equation.

The reason it won't ever happen though is the money factor. Allowing the HS phenoms to be hyped up and then send them off to college for 4 to 6 months intrigues casual fans who may not tune in otherwise and that ups the advertising dollar value. True college basketball fans would watch a whole league of walk on players play.

Eliminating the hype that we now see with the one and done "rented player" could hurt the bottom line and that alone will keep the NCAA from stopping it. They won't take any chances of hurting their profits.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
If Emmert were serious about the student and academics, he wouldn't be making excuses for UNC and he would be making sure that the kids that went to college actually went to class. Oh and Bo Ryan, didn't one of your players leave early this year? You rented a players as well there buddy. Or is it different for you because your guy stayed three years. Hypocrite.

Reactions: NotchLickKat
IMO, best thing the NCAA could do is allow kids to return to college if they don't get drafted. High School, freshman, sophomore, or junior, I don't care. If you declare and don't get drafted, even if you temporarily have an agent, you can return to college to continue your student athlete career. I fail to see how hiring an agent or putting your name in the NDA Draft Hat makes you a professional. You aren't a professional until you are paid to play the sport, which isn't happening if you're not getting picked up by the league. And if you really want to stick it to the NBA, allow kids to come back to college at any time before they collect a paycheck. If you're drafted 31st, and want to come back to become a lottery pick, Emmert could let that happen. As it is now, the NCAA is forcing out players just because the players want to explore their options. If the NCAA were serious about any of this, they would stop stepping on their own foot, and stop removing amateur status prematurely.

Declaring freshmen inelligible could quickly force the NBA to make a change. But then what happens? After the NBA makes the age limit 20, then the NCAA comes in behind them and reinstates freshman elligibility ... and then the NBA goes back to a 19 year old age limit. Rinse. Repeat.

If Emmert were serious about the student and academics, he wouldn't be making excuses for UNC and he would be making sure that the kids that went to college actually went to class...
Or maybe the NCAA could just promote Sandy Bell to oversee compliance for all of its member institutions.

"Elite program", my a$$...

...Declaring freshmen inelligible could quickly force the NBA to make a change. But then what happens? After the NBA makes the age limit 20, then the NCAA comes in behind them and reinstates freshman elligibility ... and then the NBA goes back to a 19 year old age limit. Rinse. Repeat.
That's exactly the scenario except that it won't repeat. IMO, the NBA would get the message and try to avoid anything worse happening...

I agree Zipp. Sandy Bell would be a definite upgrade. NCAA has shown nothing but inconsistency in its enforcement of rules and regulations. They have allowed ineligible players to play for certain universities for years so if you are insinuating she will do something to that extent then there really isn't a drop in quality or competency is there?

I agree Zipp. Sandy Bell would be a definite upgrade. NCAA has shown nothing but inconsistency in its enforcement of rules and regulations. They have allowed ineligible players to play for certain universities for years so if you are insinuating she will do something to that extent then there really isn't a drop in quality or competency is there?
Wow......LOL!! You holes are really living in the twilight zone .

I don't think it would kill college basketball at all. I actually like the idea just for the fact it would reintroduce the student part in the term student-athlete. I'm all for the education side of the equation.

The reason it won't ever happen though is the money factor. Allowing the HS phenoms to be hyped up and then send them off to college for 4 to 6 months intrigues casual fans who may not tune in otherwise and that ups the advertising dollar value. True college basketball fans would watch a whole league of walk on players play.

Eliminating the hype that we now see with the one and done "rented player" could hurt the bottom line and that alone will keep the NCAA from stopping it. They won't take any chances of hurting their profits.

I think you became of victim of the hype. No one cares about these HS "phenoms" except the NBA, agents and ESPN. It sounds to me that the NCAA would rather they go straight to the league. Why? Because they are selling out the integrity of the college game so these kids can get some much needed marketing before entering the league. NCAA isn't dumb. The fact that Jahlil didn't foul out a game averaging 30mpg this year looks bad if you ask me. Especially if you tuned in to watch him play with two left feet in the championship game.

. And if you really want to stick it to the NBA, allow kids to come back to college at any time before they collect a paycheck. If you're drafted 31st, and want to come back to become a lottery pick, Emmert could let that happen. As it is now, the NCAA is forcing out players just because the players want to explore their options. If the NCAA were serious about any of this, they would stop stepping on their own foot, and stop removing amateur status prematurely.

I like it. But the kids would just end up getting blacklisted by the GMs.

I think you became of victim of the hype. No one cares about these HS "phenoms" except the NBA, agents and ESPN. It sounds to me that the NCAA would rather they go straight to the league. Why? Because they are selling out the integrity of the college game so these kids can get some much needed marketing before entering the league. NCAA isn't dumb. The fact that Jahlil didn't foul out a game averaging 30mpg this year looks bad if you ask me. Especially if you tuned in to watch him play with two left feet in the championship game.

A victim of the hype? LOL. I feel like a victim because I get sick of hearing about it. I was talking about the casual fan who doesn't really dig deep in the weeds regarding the game. Those people are attracted to the hype and spend money on it. That's the money the NCAA is worried about losing.

You seem to be a victim of the lip service the NCAA is feeding you. They'll say they are interested in restoring the academic integrity then they do nothing about it. Emmert has options available to fix this IF he really wanted to. He doesn't. His track record proves that.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
A victim of the hype? LOL. I feel like a victim because I get sick of hearing about it. I was talking about the casual fan who doesn't really dig deep in the weeds regarding the game. Those people are attracted to the hype and spend money on it. That's the money the NCAA is worried about losing.

You seem to be a victim of the lip service the NCAA is feeding you. They'll say they are interested in restoring the academic integrity then they do nothing about it. Emmert has options available to fix this IF he really wanted to. He doesn't. His track record proves that.
It is interesting that with most college bballl fans talking about one and dones, the NCAA starts talking about making done and ones lay out a year before playing. This is like Tarkanian's "putting Cleveland St. on probation" statement.

No doubt there's a lot of doublespeak. But it's also the way of the world. Every profession does it. I'd focus more on agendas and money. ~That whole finding the next MJ crap is doublespeak. That whole get to the league quicker and make more money is doublespeak.

I disagree. I believe Emmert wants it fixed. The one-and-done is making a mockery of his league and destroying the product.

I disagree. I believe Emmert wants it fixed. The one-and-done is making a mockery of his league and destroying the product.

You don't know how badly I want you to be right. I want it fixed too. I'm just skeptical.

You don't know how badly I want you to be right. I want it fixed too. I'm just skeptical.

We all do. It's not about how many championships etc for me. It's about watching my team compete in a fair sport. I can't stand all the inconsistency and favoritism these days. -- That's supposed to be a league thing.

I like it. But the kids would just end up getting blacklisted by the GMs.
How so? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but College Baseball already uses this system and I haven't heard of any players getting blacklisted. Baseball players can get drafted and return to college if they choose. If certain GMs get burned and want to pass on a player in the future because of it, that is their choice.

Look at Isaiah Thomas from Washington as a perfect example. He was drafted 60th and could have chosen to return to improve his stock. He easily could have played his way into the first round after a senior season. If GM's want to pass on him because of his decision to withdraw the previous year, that is their choice, and a risk they need to evaluate. I believe it is better to put the risk on the people making millions of dollars instead of handcuffing the players into "professional" status prior to collecting a dime from anyone.

How so? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but College Baseball already uses this system and I haven't heard of any players getting blacklisted. Baseball players can get drafted and return to college if they choose. If certain GMs get burned and want to pass on a player in the future because of it, that is their choice.

Look at Isaiah Thomas from Washington as a perfect example. He was drafted 60th and could have chosen to return to improve his stock. He easily could have played his way into the first round after a senior season. If GM's want to pass on him because of his decision to withdraw the previous year, that is their choice, and a risk they need to evaluate. I believe it is better to put the risk on the people making millions of dollars instead of handcuffing the players into "professional" status prior to collecting a dime from anyone.

Maybe I didn't read your first post correctly. I thought you meant sticking it to the NBA, as causing confusion on draft day. --Draft a player and he goes back to school and you lost a draft pick. Those later rounders get traded all the time as well. Can't trade a player that's not there. I suspect the way it is now has more to do with the league than NCAA.

Maybe I didn't read your first post correctly. I thought you meant sticking it to the NBA, as causing confusion on draft day. --Draft a player and he goes back to school and you lost a draft pick. Those later rounders get traded all the time as well. Can't trade a player that's not there. I suspect the way it is now has more to do with the league than NCAA.
That is what I meant. A guy could be drafted in the 2nd round, then choose to return to his college team if he wants. If the NBA wants to make an adjustment as a result of that NCAA rule, the team that drafts a player could retain their rights on that player when they choose to exit college. I believe college baseball already has a rule similar to this.

That is what I meant. A guy could be drafted in the 2nd round, then choose to return to his college team if he wants. If the NBA wants to make an adjustment as a result of that NCAA rule, the team that drafts a player could retain their rights on that player when they choose to exit college. I believe college baseball already has a rule similar to this.

I see. While it does happen on a small scale and usually with a proven talent. ( Professional foreign players). I can't see the league going that route with college players. On a large scale it could really screw up the draft. You could have really small and really large rookie classes. Besides, I don't see late first and second rounders having that kind of leverage with the rookie cap.

Good idea. I'd love to see it play out. I don't think it's the NCAA that really benefits here from the status quo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT