ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Draft Primer

Mar 3, 2012
Tonight, when the lights are on at Jim Patterson Stadium and the Cards are looking for their 3rd consecutive trip to Omaha, the first round of the 2015 MLB Draft will be underway. Here are some things you need to know with regard to the future of Cardinal baseball over the next three days.

The 2015 class just may be Dan McDonnell's best haul since he arrived in Louisville. The best class before this one (in my opinion) was in 2011 when 6 guys were drafted out of high school (Mark Biggs, Adam Schemenauer, Joe Ceja, Jared Ruxer, Nick Burdi, and Sutton Whiting). This class has the potential to top that, thanks to rich talent in IL, IN, and OH. When I refer to recruits below, I have no idea about their intentions to go pro or to college. "Signability" can make a top 5 round talent fall to into rounds 20-40 or even go undrafted.

The class is highlighted a crop of 5 HUGE pitchers ("donkeys" - to use Coach Williams' terminology), all of which are 6'4" or taller: Bryan Hoeing (Batesville, IN), Riley Thompson (Louisville, KY), Noah Burkholder (Crown Point, IN), Sam Bordner (Baltimore, OH), and Adam Wolf (Milan, OH). Hoeing and Thompson fell victim to the Tommy John epidemic in late May, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts their draft stock. It certainly improves their chances of ending up on campus. Before the injury I would have been really surprised if Hoeing didn't sign with an MLB club. Regardless of what happens, those two probably won't contribute until the 2017 season, should they end up in Louisville. All of these guys throw high 80's-low 90's with room for that to improve.

In the field, expect to see Josh Stowers (Westchester, IL) drafted at some point. Another toolsy OF from the Chicago area, a la Corey Ray. He should compete for playing time right away. Chris Botsoe (Hinsdale, IL) is very similar to Stowers though he has a smaller, more wiry frame and could benefit from some time with the UofL training staff. Another name to remember is Daniel Little (Nicholasville, KY), nephew of former Red Sox manager Grady Little. This kid is a ballplayer. He's a switch-hitter who is probably the favorite to replace Whiting at 2B next year. It is amazing how Mac and staff are able to go into Lexington every year and get some top talent. Rounding out the class is 3B Devin Mann (Columbus, IN), C Zeke Pinkham (Elizabethtown, KY), and C Patrick Rumoro (Oak Park, IL).

Credit must be given to Chris Lemonis and Kyle Cheesebrough who recruited most of these guys. But also credit the players who stayed committed to Louisville despite their departure to Indiana. It's nice to see players really commit to a school - a rarity in football and basketball. Hoeing, Thompson, Burkholder, Botsoe, and Stowers have been committed since the 2013 season.

In past two drafts, 7+ Louisville players have been drafted each year. Don't expect that to happen this year. We all know Kyle Funkhouser will hear his name called tonight - probably in the middle of the first round. Beyond that, my guess is Whiting and Zach Lucas will get picked up over the next couple days. Josh Rogers is a draft eligible sophomore, but even if a team selects him, I would expect to see him in Louisville uniform next year. Danny Rosenbaum and Mike White may get taken late, but could easily go undrafted as well. It'll be fun to see how the next couple days impact the future of Cardinal baseball.

Great post. It would be great to see this class all come to campus. McKay and Ray are recent examples of the sort of impact these guys can have on a program. I think UL has lost a few over the last few seasons which stung a bit. Overall they have been pretty lucky (I think) with guys coming to school.

Yeah, the MLB Draft can be interesting. Bonus demands and signability issues play such a big role. Ray was probably a top 5-10 round pick out of high school, but fell to the 33rd because of a high price tag. Bryan Dobzanski was a Louisville commit out of NJ last year who fell to round 29 for the same reason. The St. Louis Cardinals found a way to save money elsewhere and offered him $700,000 last minute and he signs. Each of the past couple years they've lost only 1-2 guys to the draft each year. Hopefully that trend continues.

Hoeing is a dude and could be the highest pick ever from Louisville when it's all said and done.

This is his first time focusing on baseball only, and he is doing it under Roger Williams. The athletes from Chicago is what we need. Pinkham was a highly touted catcher as well. This class might be the highest rated ever if they all come.

It sucks to lose like we did Monday but the reality is that we are now in the ACC and we will continue to get some big time dudes on campus and should be able to make some very deep serious runs in Omaha.

Tonight, when the lights are on at Jim Patterson Stadium and the Cards are looking for their 3rd consecutive trip to Omaha, the first round of the 2015 MLB Draft will be underway. Here are some things you need to know with regard to the future of Cardinal baseball over the next three days.

The 2015 class just may be Dan McDonnell's best haul since he arrived in Louisville. The best class before this one (in my opinion) was in 2011 when 6 guys were drafted out of high school (Mark Biggs, Adam Schemenauer, Joe Ceja, Jared Ruxer, Nick Burdi, and Sutton Whiting). This class has the potential to top that, thanks to rich talent in IL, IN, and OH. When I refer to recruits below, I have no idea about their intentions to go pro or to college. "Signability" can make a top 5 round talent fall to into rounds 20-40 or even go undrafted.

The class is highlighted a crop of 5 HUGE pitchers ("donkeys" - to use Coach Williams' terminology), all of which are 6'4" or taller: Bryan Hoeing (Batesville, IN), Riley Thompson (Louisville, KY), Noah Burkholder (Crown Point, IN), Sam Bordner (Baltimore, OH), and Adam Wolf (Milan, OH). Hoeing and Thompson fell victim to the Tommy John epidemic in late May, so it will be interesting to see how that impacts their draft stock. It certainly improves their chances of ending up on campus. Before the injury I would have been really surprised if Hoeing didn't sign with an MLB club. Regardless of what happens, those two probably won't contribute until the 2017 season, should they end up in Louisville. All of these guys throw high 80's-low 90's with room for that to improve.

In the field, expect to see Josh Stowers (Westchester, IL) drafted at some point. Another toolsy OF from the Chicago area, a la Corey Ray. He should compete for playing time right away. Chris Botsoe (Hinsdale, IL) is very similar to Stowers though he has a smaller, more wiry frame and could benefit from some time with the UofL training staff. Another name to remember is Daniel Little (Nicholasville, KY), nephew of former Red Sox manager Grady Little. This kid is a ballplayer. He's a switch-hitter who is probably the favorite to replace Whiting at 2B next year. It is amazing how Mac and staff are able to go into Lexington every year and get some top talent. Rounding out the class is 3B Devin Mann (Columbus, IN), C Zeke Pinkham (Elizabethtown, KY), and C Patrick Rumoro (Oak Park, IL).

Credit must be given to Chris Lemonis and Kyle Cheesebrough who recruited most of these guys. But also credit the players who stayed committed to Louisville despite their departure to Indiana. It's nice to see players really commit to a school - a rarity in football and basketball. Hoeing, Thompson, Burkholder, Botsoe, and Stowers have been committed since the 2013 season.

In past two drafts, 7+ Louisville players have been drafted each year. Don't expect that to happen this year. We all know Kyle Funkhouser will hear his name called tonight - probably in the middle of the first round. Beyond that, my guess is Whiting and Zach Lucas will get picked up over the next couple days. Josh Rogers is a draft eligible sophomore, but even if a team selects him, I would expect to see him in Louisville uniform next year. Danny Rosenbaum and Mike White may get taken late, but could easily go undrafted as well. It'll be fun to see how the next couple days impact the future of Cardinal baseball.

Volt. Can you add any more information about our 2016 recruits that may have been selected in the draft and their chances of arriving on campus this fall.

I'd say there's an excellent chance both Riley Thompson and Bryan Hoeing end up on campus - which is great for the future of the Cards. The TJ surgeries that both just had actually might be a blessing in disguise. Without it, I'm willing to bet Hoeing goes much earlier and probably signs with an MLB club. It would probably take a lot of money for him to sign at this point, and I'd be surprised if a MLB team would be willing to give him that considering the injury risk.

I've never seen Hoeing pitch but I know he's considered the prize of the class. A Nick Burdi caliber recruit. As baseballguy said, he could definitely end up as the highest pick in Louisville history if he ends up on campus. That's saying something considering Corey Ray has a shot to go higher than Funkhouser did next year. He's 6'6" and very projectable.

Thompson is a local kid (Christian Academy) and has been committed at least since his sophomore year. When I saw him throw he was 89-92 and that was his junior year. Breaking ball is solid too. His dad said it would take "life changing money" for him to sign with the Reds and I don't think that'll happen. I would suspect both he and Hoeing will compete for weekend rotation spots in 2017 if their recovery from surgery goes well.

The bottom line is I think Coach Williams is the best in the business in my opinion, and these guys seem more advanced than most other recruits when they come in as freshman. Huge potential.

Some additional good news is Josh Rogers announced he won't sign with the Yankees and he's currently headed to the Cape for summer ball.

Reactions: Pervis_Griffith
Volt....Thanks, for the update. I wish the baseball forum had a few more informed posters like you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT