ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell moves up to No. 17 in rankings

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
Scout.com updated the Class of 2015 top 100 and three of the Louisville basketball recruits made jumps in the rankings, including Donovan Mitchell. He and Deng Adel are five-star prospects ranked at No. 17 and 23, while Raymond Spalding is #31 a four star prospect.
The University of Louisville basketball program is bringing in four freshman basketball players this summer, including two five-star prospects.

In the updated Scout.com top 100, all three of the ranked future Cardinals' made jumps in the rankings. Sarasota, Fla., shooter Ryan McMachon is still not ranked.

Brewster Academy guard Donovan Mitchell jumped up to the No. 17 prospect in the country, while forward Deng Adel is now ranked No. 23 in the class.

Trinity forward Ray Spalding checks in at No. 31.

Mitchell and Adel are five-star prospects. Mitchell is the No. 2 shooting guard in the class, while Adel is considered the No. 5 small forward in the class.

Spalding is considered the No. 5 power forward in the class, while he's also ranked as the No. 2 player in the Midwest.

I have similar "feelings" about Mitchell as I did Rozier. Something tells me we're going to get some decent production year one, and a break out monster year two.

Then again, I've learned to leave feelings at the door!

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
I have similar "feelings" about Mitchell as I did Rozier. Something tells me we're going to get some decent production year one, and a break out monster year two.

Mitchell seems to be pretty mature from what i've seen from him. I'm expecting him to have an immediate impact. Hopefully.

Reactions: tn00nan

This kid will get a ton of playing time because the roster at his position is a bit thin. He'll have to learn as he goes because there aren't any other viable options. IMO he will be thrown in the fire, ready or not.

Yeah, he certainly has more opportunity to make an impact than Rozier did. I guess what I meant is, even though Terry didn't get a ton of run his FR year I knew he was really good. I'm feeling like Mitchell is really good, and I think 10ppg isn't out of the question at all. Looking forward to his career.

I think Mitchell will be a dominant player from game 1. He impressed the hell out of me. I think he's a better outside shot than Rozier though maybe not as fierce a driver or rebounder as Rozier. I don't think Pitino will be able to keep him out of the starting line up for very long and maybe not at all.

I think Mitchell will be a dominant player from game 1. He impressed the hell out of me. I think he's a better outside shot than Rozier though maybe not as fierce a driver or rebounder as Rozier. I don't think Pitino will be able to keep him out of the starting line up for very long and maybe not at all.

Hmmm...I was honestly thinking just the opposite based on watching him in the All-Star games. He struck me as a stronger finisher than Rozier (stronger and bigger hops), but not as good of an outside shooter, and I'm only referring to the exceptional mid range shooter Rozier became. I felt the midrange game was a facet that Rozier provided in short supply in today's college game. I'm not familiar enough with Mitchell's 3 point shooting to form an opinion. One more thing, he seems to have really good passing timing, instincts, and abilities. Bottom line, I've been very impressed with him all around. Seems like a mature, very athletic, hard working kid.

Hmmm...I was honestly thinking just the opposite based on watching him in the All-Star games. He struck me as a stronger finisher than Rozier (stronger and bigger hops), but not as good of an outside shooter, and I'm only referring to the exceptional mid range shooter Rozier became. I felt the midrange game was a facet that Rozier provided in short supply in today's college game. I'm not familiar enough with Mitchell's 3 point shooting to form an opinion. One more thing, he seems to have really good passing timing, instincts, and abilities. Bottom line, I've been very impressed with him all around. Seems like a mature, very athletic, hard working kid.

This was my understanding as well. Very good at getting to the basket but needs to work on his shot from the outside. He's gonna be a good one either way

I think we could possibly have our first OaD player in Mitchell. He is that good and NBA scouts are already noticing him. He's raw and unproven so that narative could change over the course of a season but he could also just get better under a real coach like CRP who will teach him to know defenses, conditioning and proper work ethic. Personally, I do not want to become the swinging door like the draft camp down the road but having 1 maybe 2 impact players per year that have the potential to be OaD does seem reasonable so long as the guys we get are truly dedicated to the L1C4 mentality. Mitchell seems humble and hungry as well as a good kid. I would love to see him stick around for a few years but I won't bet the house on him sticking around for very long.

Don't mistake what I said for hoping to get OaD kids. I'm just saying it would be nice to have 1 or 2 guys with that potential and see what Rick can do with that kind of talent. I think Rick would take our program on a championship run year after year with his style of coaching coupled with top talent. Mitchell is top talent. Adel has potential as well. I think good times are just ahead of us.

I hear what you are saying. I guess, watching Rozier this year, he seemed fearless driving inside and making all kinds of shots close to the rim, willing to take a beating. I think you are right that Mitchell has that reputation and he definitely does have 'hops', but he has done it against high school competition, not college players. We'll see if he can do that in college right away. I'm sure he will eventually but might take him some time to learn. As far as shooting, from what I saw in the Derby Classic (and I didn't see the 3 pt shooting contest), he had a very good shot, and showed the ability to get his shot off the dribble just as Rozier did. Maybe you are right about his 3-pt shooting ability as an area of work, but he sure looks very good to me. I just can't see him sitting on the bench very much. Also liked his teamwork, maturity, everything you said. Not sure how long he'll stay around the college game, but if he were to stay 3 years (doubtful), he might be one of, if not the best guard ever at UL. I think he's that good.

The scouting report on Mitchell is an incredibly strong athletic player, with the ability to put the ball on the floor, drive and finish. But it also says his outside shot and mid-range game has a lot of room for improvement. I have a hard time imagining that lining him up for a one and done college career.

Mitchell is ranked 31st by Rivals. Shaqquan Aaron was ranked 30th the year before.

Let's be patient...

Reactions: Cue Card
Mitchell is ranked 31st by Rivals. Shaqquan Aaron was ranked 30th the year before.

Let's be patient...

Good advice. None of these kids coming in out of HS should be crowned stars before they ever dribble a ball in a college uniform. None of them.

Let's be patient...
Two different type of players with different styles. Mitchell is a very physical player, Aaron was really weak as a freshman.
Mitchell will play major minutes right away.

Rankings don't mean a thing with these two. Mitchell will be a major contributor!

I hear what you are saying. I guess, watching Rozier this year, he seemed fearless driving inside and making all kinds of shots close to the rim, willing to take a beating. I think you are right that Mitchell has that reputation and he definitely does have 'hops', but he has done it against high school competition, not college players. We'll see if he can do that in college right away. I'm sure he will eventually but might take him some time to learn. As far as shooting, from what I saw in the Derby Classic (and I didn't see the 3 pt shooting contest), he had a very good shot, and showed the ability to get his shot off the dribble just as Rozier did. Maybe you are right about his 3-pt shooting ability as an area of work, but he sure looks very good to me. I just can't see him sitting on the bench very much. Also liked his teamwork, maturity, everything you said. Not sure how long he'll stay around the college game, but if he were to stay 3 years (doubtful), he might be one of, if not the best guard ever at UL. I think he's that good.
He is not a Rozier type player ! This kid if he is patient will be better than Rozier.

Aaron was behind the curve from the jump and was buried behind a player that was on his 4th year in the program. He was also paper thin.

Mitchell has much more opportunity as the rotations are up in the air and he's not going to be forced to sit by the NCAA. He also doesn't have to compete for shots with proven commodities like Harrell, Rozier, Jones, and Blackshear. Mitchell is also a "rising" recruit, and we've had a ton of luck w/ those kind of guys.

Anybody that wants to wager who has a better statistical year between Aaron's FR year vs Mitchell's FR year send me a note. I'll give you 10 to 1 odds but I'm taking Mitchell and you will lose.

Last edited:
You guys are missing the point... Aaron is just an example because he sat close to home.

Look at most of the kids ranked in the 30-ish range each year out of high school. Their numbers as freshmen are usually not extraordinary. If he averages 10-plus PPG, for example, he will clearly be an outlier. And if you're saying he will do that, you're predicting the unusual or the unexpected--not the norm.

And you're setting yourself up to be disappointed...

You guys are missing the point... Aaron is just an example because he sat close to home.

Look at most of the kids ranked in the 30-ish range each year out of high school. Their numbers as freshmen are usually not extraordinary. If he averages 10-plus PPG, for example, he will clearly be an outlier. And if you're saying he will do that, you're predicting the unusual or the unexpected--not the norm.

We'll see. I'm basing my opinion on what I saw in the Derby Festival. Even though almost NO DEFENSE is played in that game (I don't think I'll be back), in my view he was the most explosive, talented guard on the floor.

We have a couple of - apparently - very good 5th year seniors coming in next year, so Mitchell won't be looked to, to lead the team in scoring but I'll be shocked if he doesn't average at least 10 ppg next year.

He also struck me as intelligent, a good passer and one who will be anxious to learn from Pitino and do what he needs to do to help the team.

Obviously, I was very impressed and I'm extrapolating from what I saw and heard in a couple of interviews. Of course, I could be off-base, but I can't think of any other HS guard UL has ever recruited that I was this impressed by. And I've been around for quite awhile.

I get it.

I'm just willing to give you 10 to 1 odds he produces more than the player you compared him to, who had one good game @ WF.

So if he averages 6-9 ppg which I feel is well within reach given the make-up of this roster, he won't be an outlier too much I wouldn't think. But what I know is production along those lines would sure be a lot more productive than Aaron's 2-3 ppg, 2-3 pouty faces per game.

I will concede this about Donovan... The stats I cited also show that incoming kids at his level of talent don't normally average 30 minutes per game. If he proves himself at both ends of the floor and beats out Snider, Lewis, or Lee for a starting position and is given anywhere close to 30 minutes, he could hit 10 PPG. I'm not banking on that happening, but he could show more output if he's given a surprising amount of playing time, surprising at least for a Pitino incoming freshman...

I'm expecting ups and downs. Somebody's going to score. The 5 spot seems to be the most unlikely place to find points, and the 4 spot is mighty raw. Even if the team is just horrible there will still be points scored from somewhere, and Mitchell has to be a candidate to score double figures at least a few times, if not more.

As far as averages, I would take 7-8 ppg and fourth leading scorer right now, behind the other wings and Snider, and maybe on par with hopefully an emerging big. That would be solid contributions for a FR. But there is a chance, that he produces more, or less.

It's guessing right now. I'm siding towards production as opposed to a ghost.

I expect our hall of fame coach to put together another solid team and to have another great year.

Mitchell will be expected to produce early and often. Most feel he can. All I know is over the years, I've learned to just wait and see. It's not being skeptical of what the kid can do. I'm just curbing my enthusiasm.

Rozier was the best freshman guard we've had since ????

And I expect Mitchell to be even better. Not because he's any better than Rozier, but because he's not playing behind an All American (Russ) and a shoot first PG (Jones). Mitchell has a golden opportunity, and we know how defense keeps you on the floor for Pitino. Defense is the best part of Mitchell's game, and I think he'll see at least 25 minutes because of it. Normally I take a wait and see approach, but I'm in line with thinking Mitchell will be a double digit scorer next season.

Sign me up for 10 pts, 3.5 reb, 2 ast, 2 steals per night. Rarely do I have expectations that high for a Pitino frosh.

One other element to add on to J-Rye, Rick isn't an idiot. He's aware a highly touted FR just bounced after one semester more or less and he's going to catch some heat for that. He'll be sure to give Mitchell every opportunity to succeed, to make it clear FR can produce here. People blast him for Aaron, but forget Jerry Smith, Samuels, and Behanan all did pretty darn well as FR starters here.

I think most UofL fans conceede that Aaron was a knucklehead and Pitino handled it like he should. The ones blasting Pitino for not coddling a highly rated recruit aren't watching what Pitino has done here the last few years. Forget the young men resting on their laurels (and mixtapes).

I think most UofL fans conceede that Aaron was a knucklehead and Pitino handled it like he should. The ones blasting Pitino for not coddling a highly rated recruit aren't watching what Pitino has done here the last few years. Forget the young men resting on their laurels (and mixtapes).

Couldn't agree more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT