ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones the total idiot

Let me ask your honest opinion....would Russ Smith, fresh off his dominant performance in the first four rounds of the NCAA tournament, been taken by one of the playoff teams looking for someone who could perform off the bench?

We'll never know for sure.

Russ Smith had the best body control of any player I have ever seen. Yes, he is a mere six feet tall. Yes, he is that rare player who can keep both teams in the game with his shot selection. And yes, most NBA guards are extremely physical. But if I'm, say, Charlotte and I've just made my first playoff appearance and I need role players to take that next step, I'm taking Russ Smith. Why? Because Russ can take his man to the hoop, draw the contact and still make that shot. Pretty valuable guy to have in a tight game, and most NBA games are tight games.

In no way, shape, or form was Russ Smith considered a first round draft pick after the NCAA Championship. Do you guys even basketball?

This whole argument/thread is a waste of time.....nobody here knows what was actually said between the coach & players from either side of the rivalry other than the respective coaches and players.

...nah, just got tired of the "my speculation is better than yours" argument that was running throughout this thread.

In no way, shape, or form was Russ Smith considered a first round draft pick after the NCAA Championship. Do you guys even basketball?

You interviewed the GMs of the 2013 playoff teams, did you? Why wouldn't he be considered? Whatever happened to production over potential?

You're not a UK fan, however, you know what UK fans want more than UK fans. Interesting concept.
So, you and the courier want your guys highly drafted, and THEN you want to win a championship. In that order.

No problem, let me read you saying that.

"Elite program", my a$$...

So, you and the courier want your guys highly drafted, and THEN you want to win a championship. In that order.

No problem, let me read you saying that.

I prefer the total package. Title, Final Fours, Top Recruiting, Top Draft Picks, Conference Titles, National TV exposure, going 7-1 against your in state rival, owning other rivals (KU, UNC), etc.

You're very upset about UK's accomplishments, while UK fans are thrilled.

I prefer the total package. Title, Final Fours, Top Recruiting, Top Draft Picks, Conference Titles, National TV exposure, going 7-1 against your in state rival, owning other rivals (KU, UNC), etc.

You're very upset about UK's accomplishments, while UK fans are thrilled.
LOL...You probably consider these to be your life's accomplishments as well.....typical blue hole.

Can't believe I read through this whole thread and nobody addressed the key point in Matt Jones' tweet.

Did Pitino talk Harrell into coming back, or didn't he? That's the issue here. If he did, then Jones has a point. Pitino "helped" Russ Smith decide to come back another year, and it didn't help him, either. If Pitino didn't talk Harrell into staying, then Jones should apologize.

I know you all hate Coach Cal, but there's one thing he will not do, and that's talk a player into staying another year if he can't improve his stock. The Harrisons flew to Houston and made that decision all on their own. Dakari? No one understood that decision. Hence the platoon was born.

If Matt Jones apologized for every mischaracterization, mistatement or misleading comment he made, we would be here for a month.

Trez is an undersized forward who can't shoot very well. Disappointed in his draft, but it is up to him to prove the doubters wrong and I would bet he does as did Teddy.

...You're very upset about UK's accomplishments, while UK fans are thrilled.
What accomplishments? One title with close to 30 draft picks??

I know what your coach SAYS he wants. It's not that mish-mash of pie in the sky LPT basketball crap you just rolled out. It's making millions in the NBA.

"Elite problem", my a$$...

What accomplishments? One title with close to 30 draft picks??

I know what your coach SAYS he wants. It's not that mish-mash of pie in the sky LPT basketball crap you just rolled out. It's making millions in the NBA.

"Elite problem", my a$$...

How can someone whose team has three titles lecture someone whose team has eight about the importance of titles? That's like a Redskins fan telling a Packers fan "so what, you only have one title recently".

Last edited:
Reactions: blubo
"I prefer the total package. Title, Final Fours, Top Recruiting, Top Draft Picks, Conference Titles, National TV exposure, going 7-1 against your in state rival, owning other rivals (KU, UNC), etc.

You're very upset about UK's accomplishments, while UK fans are thrilled."

....boom goes the dynamite.

...and Zipp, there's 25 former Wildcats currently in the NBA....a few still left from the time before Cal became UK's head coach.

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
"I prefer the total package. Title, Final Fours, Top Recruiting, Top Draft Picks, Conference Titles, National TV exposure, going 7-1 against your in state rival, owning other rivals (KU, UNC), etc.

You're very upset about UK's accomplishments, while UK fans are thrilled."

....boom goes the dynamite.

...and Zipp, there's 25 former Wildcats currently in the NBA....a few still left from the time before Cal became UK's head coach.

LOL, I think that was the point.

How can someone whose team has three titles lecture someone whose team has eight about the importance of titles?...
Tabs, I think you're out-of-step with your fellow rationalizing fans at this point...

If you're comparing programs, I agree it IS all about winning a title. Getting close doesn't really matter if you consider yourself an elite program.

(Going back into ancient history and COUNTING UP titles is another discussion...)

YOUR fanbase is now trying to back away from that. How it's so great for Pitino Lite to just make the Final Four coming out of a dumpster fire conference and armed with a roster full of NBA draft picks.

You guys need to get your stories straight, and come back and debate.

I'm going to refrain from educating you on argumentative fallacies here and stick to the point. Cal said once what zipp quoted him as saying EVERY year. That's simply false, and that's what I was pointing out.

Good thing that you will refrain from trying to do so. I don't want to have to spend more time on your misinformation.

Kentucky had 7 National Titles before Cal came, in 100+ years of playing basketball. Again, 7 titles in 100+ years.

Those 7 titles put UK #2 in titles all time still.

Winning a Title is not easy, never guaranteed, takes luck and everything else.

Keep bringing in the talent, and the 'Titles' will come along. 1 already has. Could there have been 1 or 2 more, sure. That's the point...Cal builds a team that will generally be one of the last FOUR left standing. Getting there 4 out of the last 5 years (once as an 8 seed where they had to go through Wichita St., Louisville, Michigan and Wisconsin to do so) is just evidence of that. Apparently you don't get it.... you have to get to the Final Four first before anything else can happen. How many fanbases out there would love to have the realistic expectation on an annual basis that their team is at least getting that far? Nobody bats .1000 when getting to the Final Four and winning it. I posed the question either here or in another thread about what coach other than Coach K has had a better 6-year run than Cal... the responses evasive, at best. You simply don't want to admit it....

I'd rather have titles than Final Fours. Who wouldn't? To me the main thing right now is we are winning big and I love the quality of kids we are bringing in now. I'm sure the national championship was awesome for you guys, but wasn't it even better knowing it came with kids like Siva and Dieng and Russ doing most of the heavy lifting? I felt the same way about most of our team last year and the last few years, really.

Reactions: Steelers2012
"the main thing right now is we are winning big"

190-37 in Cal's 6 years. Avg. 31.6 wins, 6.1 losses per season and yet we het to hear "he can't coach" or "he's not a good X's and O's coach".

For a guy who supposedly isn't a "good" coach, he seems to usually be the 1st name to come up whenever there is an NBA job opening.

190-37 in Cal's 6 years. Avg. 31.6 wins, 6.1 losses per season and yet we het to hear "he can't coach" or "he's not a good X's and O's coach"...
Pitino Lite has averaged TWO less losses per year than Ten-Loss Tubby did over his career. If we're doing more than just looking at titles. Oh, and Tubby had the same number of titles with a lot less talent.

Didn't you all run that guy off?

"Pitino Lite has averaged TWO less losses per year than Ten-Loss Tubby did over his career."

You're comparing Tubby's TEN years to SIX (so far) for Cal. Talk about trying to skew the numbers....

Tubby was working with an agent...on his own... in December of his last season as UK head coach.

...You're comparing Tubby's TEN years to SIX (so far) for Cal. Talk about trying to skew the numbers...
Methinks you don't understand math too well, courier...

Averaging two less losses PER SEASON means the number of seasons ain't in the equation. Whether it's two years or 22 years.

And remember, Tubby did it with far less talent. No disputing that.

190-37 in Cal's 6 years. Avg. 31.6 wins, 6.1 losses per season and yet we het to hear "he can't coach" or "he's not a good X's and O's coach".

For a guy who supposedly isn't a "good" coach, he seems to usually be the 1st name to come up whenever there is an NBA job opening.

Game, Set, Match.

Not to mention UL fans consider Rick to be far superior, yet he is 1-7 vs Cal.

[QUOTE="zipp, post: 72021, member: ]

And remember, Tubby did it with far less talent. No disputing that.

"Elite program", the best...[/QUOTE]

Tubby did do well against Rick also, I'm in agreement with you on that.

...Tubby did do well against Rick also, I'm in agreement with you on that.
Even if true, how would that relate to the discussion? It's about Pitino Lite, a lot of losses, and too many in the Final Four.

Even if true, how would that relate to the discussion? It's about Pitino Lite, a lot of losses, and too many in the Final Four.

Losing in the Final Four is a Hell of alot better than not coming close to a Final Four...

Cal is 22-4 in the NCAA tournament. Tubby was 23-9. Cal makes the Elite Eight 84 percent of the time and the Final Four 67 percent of the time. With Tubby those numbers were 40 and 10. Tubby's numbers are very similar to Rick's at U of L, but nothing like Cal's at UK.

" It's about Pitino Lite, a lot of losses, and too many in the Final Four."

Again....he's 190-37 in 6 years at UK. Today, because you're attempting to make it fit your undying agenda, Tubby is your mode of comparison. Funny how when he was the coach of UK, he was referred to here as 'TLT' or 'Ten Loss Tubby'.

Cal is 22-4 in the NCAA tournament. Tubby was 23-9. Cal makes the Elite Eight 84 percent of the time and the Final Four 67 percent of the time. With Tubby those numbers were 40 and 10. Tubby's numbers are very similar to Rick's at U of L, but nothing like Cal's at UK.

Calipari's UK resume is far superior to tubby or ricks at UK, as well as rick at ul.

" . Funny how when he was the coach of UK, he was referred to here as 'TLT' or 'Ten Loss Tubby'.

My memory isn't all that great, so I won't make any claims I can't support, but MY memory of the "10 loss Tubby" thing is that the phrase came from UK fans, unhappy with Tubby, not UofL fans. Was it some of both?

ADVERTISEMENT