ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones the total idiot

1. Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 4m4 minutes ago
    Rick Pitino is a great coach...but he cares primarily about Rick Pitino first, his players second...and Montrezl is latest example
    (LOL the Twins, Dakari thought all these were 1st rounders)

2. Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 8m8 minutes ago
  3. Feel bad for Montrezl for going 2nd rd...but I blame Pitino who selfishly talked him into coming back when he was a first rounder last year
    Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 2h2 LOL the Twins, Dakari thought all these were 1st rounderhours ago
  4. LOL the Twins, Dakari thought all these were 1st rounder
  5. Five players from the state of the Kentucky went in the lottery...not one of them was from Louisville
This is the most bizarre argument since they are one year apart. I would rather have 8 than three and if they are one year apart I'm not sure what kind do difference that makes. 20 years may mean something but one? I don't get it. Reeeeeeeaaacccchhhhh
This thread comes under the heading of enjoying flogging one's self. Complaining about Lachlan, then going on to listen to matt jones and wailing about him. Ever change the dial?

This is a new one on me since I don't follow the NBA (or come close as Rye will tell you...)
More like, as Zipp will tell you.

Almost made it through another year without watching any NBA ... in the minute-and-a-half I dropped in ... I doubled the cumulative amount of time in my life I've watched King James doing his thing

I've never listened to Matty Bangs show but I get enough quotes and links to his blogs off message boards to know what a complete joke that guy is. He feeds on the blue fans like a soul sucking vampire. The blue fans echo his ramblings without even knowing their all just puppets in his game to remain relevent on the radio and to pay his bills. He's getting fat feeding on the weak and small-minded. I know several uk fans who think the guy is a complete dickweed too. It's unfortunate that there are still enough morons out there who just takes sides with Matty Bangs just because he spews propaganda about us and props up uk like they want....nevermind that most of what he says is false, misleading, unfounded and irrational.

If any uk fan qoutes him or agrees with him...then it's clear that person is of lesser intelligence and is OK with being a puppet. No need to bait those morons or gifting them with a response. It does no good talking to these types of people. You might as well build sand castles in the surf.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneEarWonder
I've never listened to Matty Bangs show but I get enough quotes and links to his blogs off message boards to know what a complete joke that guy is. He feeds on the blue fans like a soul sucking vampire. The blue fans echo his ramblings without even knowing their all just puppets in his game to remain relevent on the radio and to pay his bills. He's getting fat feeding on the weak and small-minded. I know several uk fans who think the guy is a complete dickweed too. It's unfortunate that there are still enough morons out there who just takes sides with Matty Bangs just because he spews propaganda about us and props up uk like they want....nevermind that most of what he says is false, misleading, unfounded and irrational.

If any uk fan qoutes him or agrees with him...then it's clear that person is of lesser intelligence and is OK with being a puppet. No need to bait those morons or gifting them with a response. It does no good talking to these types of people. You might as well build sand castles in the surf.

I agree completely. I put him in the same class as Rush Limbaugh... a blowhard who panders to the lowest denominator of his fan base. I question how much of it is shtick and how much he actually believes... occasionally he might have a good nugget or two, but the vast majority of time, it's just verbal diarrhea.

Reactions: J-Rye_UL
I can understand why UofL fans hate Ky and say all sorts of mean things. We beat you every year. Well you managed to squeak one out at home, your national champ team against our nit team, barely. Fact is for Ky UofL is really not even a rivalry any longer. You guys just really aren't even a competition anymore. I like it most when we beat you in the regular season then knock you out of the tournament. Those are my fav's

This guy doesn't speak for all UK fans...I am a UK fan and even I know this is a fake post (or at best a ridiculously trolling one)...The vast majority of UK fans understand the UL is our rival and really want to win the game but the majority also don't hold on to it like it is the be all end all...Our fans at least want to be in the discussion for Final Fours and Championships. I would say UL has the same standards...As far as Cal starting the 40 - 0 talk, a reporter asked him a question. His response was he would like to coach a 40 -0 team because people say that it can't be done. He never once proclaimed teams were going to go 40 -0. A bunch of insane fanatics latched onto that and went too far with it. UL has fans like that too. It just happens that ours tend to be a little louder and nuttier.

*** I've now deleted 4 flaming posts of yours, in addition to sending you a private message regarding your posts. Please cease and desist now. You are welcome to stay and post or discuss topics in a respectful manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, why does your coach focus on recruiting 5-star kids? And why does he call draft night the greatest day in LPT basketball each year?

The problem with him is that he doesn't wanna own what he says. And the problem with LPT fans is that they don't want to either.

"Elite program", my a$$...
He doesn't say it each year. He said it in 2010 and hasn't said that since, although I agree that he stresses its importance each year, for obvious reasons.

Argumentum ad hominem at its finest.

...you all repeat this incessantly because its all you really have when it comes to the UK - UofL basketball rivalry any more...
How about 40-and-0? Does repeating that count too?

Or that Pitino Lite's top priority is the kids? Never hear him talk much about the LPT fans or history in those comments.

I like those parts of the rivalry too.

How about 40-and-0? Does repeating that count too?

Or that Pitino Lite's top priority is the kids? Never hear him talk much about the LPT fans or history in those comments.

I like those parts of the rivalry too.

I addressed the 40 - 0 talk above. He was asked a question about it and said that he would like to coach a 40 - 0 team because people say it can't be done. He then followed it up with lets see if we can do it. He has never stated his team would go 40 - 0.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
I addressed the 40 - 0 talk above. He was asked a question about it and said that he would like to coach a 40 - 0 team because people say it can't be done. He then followed it up with lets see if we can do it. He has never stated his team would go 40 - 0.
We can debate what he said versus what he meant to say. Here is a direct reference to those comments:

"Looking back, Kentucky coach John Calipari said he was 'stupid' three years ago to talk about leading his team to an undefeated season.

After a 67-59 victory over Kansas to claim the national championship in New Orleans, Calipari unabashedly told reporters, 'Before I leave coaching, I would like to coach an undefeated team.'

That 'Coach Cal quote' is a popular topic these days, with his Wildcats heavy favorites to win the NCAA Tournament and complete what would be a 40-0 season. Calipari said he must have been young and naive to make that statement.

But he's not about to back off it.

'I would say, if you tell me I can't do it, I could do it,' Calipari said Wednesday during NCAA Tournament interviews in Louisville, Ky., where Kentucky opens tournament play..."

I doubt that Pitino Lite would be publicly acknowledging his "stupidity" for saying something that you claim he didn't say. You're parsing words and topics.

Last edited:
Where did he say we were going to go undefeated. He didn't. He said paraphrasing that he wants to do it because people say it can't be done. We can debate whether he should've said it or not. He said what I posted above. I just didn't have the desire pro Google for the quote which you evidently did.

Quite simply, there isn't an issue of "backing off" or being "stupid" about saying something that you didn't say. He doesn't even suggest that people misunderstood him.

Again, you're parsing these differences. Evidently, he's owning the comment attributed to him, fairly or not.

He doesn't say it each year. He said it in 2010 and hasn't said that since, although I agree that he stresses its importance each year, for obvious reasons.

Argumentum ad hominem at its finest.

I read that statement and my BS alarm went off. Yes, he called the 2010 drafft the greatest day in the history of Kentucky basketball. I am going to avoid the obvious "every year cannot be the greatest day in history" arguement and address the point about this claim. Cal's statements that the goal for the season was to get 8 players drafted, and saying that Kentucky's season ends on draft day supports Zipp's case.

I suggest you look up argumentum ad hominem. Addressing Cal's statements is not an attack on him.

I'll sum this up. Batty Jones is an idiot and plays to the lowest common denominator of his fan base.
your Coach is an Adulterer Ours is not Top That..Lil Brother:p

*** That was not a wise post Grover. Please don't come back.

Last edited by a moderator:
your Coach is an Adulterer Ours is not Top That..Lil Brother:p

*** That was not a wise post Grover. Please don't come back.
LOL, but it was OK to leave a wife beater,4 time DUI assistant coach on the staff...Rod Strickland...have you ever checked his rap sheet.

Can't believe I read through this whole thread and nobody addressed the key point in Matt Jones' tweet.

Did Pitino talk Harrell into coming back, or didn't he? That's the issue here. If he did, then Jones has a point. Pitino "helped" Russ Smith decide to come back another year, and it didn't help him, either. If Pitino didn't talk Harrell into staying, then Jones should apologize.

I know you all hate Coach Cal, but there's one thing he will not do, and that's talk a player into staying another year if he can't improve his stock. The Harrisons flew to Houston and made that decision all on their own. Dakari? No one understood that decision. Hence the platoon was born.

Can't believe I read through this whole thread and nobody addressed the key point in Matt Jones' tweet.

Did Pitino talk Harrell into coming back, or didn't he? That's the issue here. If he did, then Jones has a point. Pitino "helped" Russ Smith decide to come back another year, and it didn't help him, either. If Pitino didn't talk Harrell into staying, then Jones should apologize.

I know you all hate Coach Cal, but there's one thing he will not do, and that's talk a player into staying another year if he can't improve his stock. The Harrisons flew to Houston and made that decision all on their own. Dakari? No one understood that decision. Hence the platoon was born.

You are obviously missing the point discussed here in several posts. Pitino doesn't talk anybody into coming back or leaving. EXACTLY like you say about Calipari, Pitino assists the player and his family in getting the most complete information available, then he lets the player and his family make the decision. JUST LIKE YOU SAY COACH CALIPARI DOES. The fact that UK fans say Pitino "helped" any player stay or go, doesn't make it true.

Reactions: shadow force

Did Pitino talk Harrell into coming back, or didn't he?...
How would you or Maddie know? Or anyone who wasn't there during the conversation(s)?

And would that be a more egregious offense than a player's coach taking 5-star kids and sending them to the pros with LESSER standing than they graduated with? Like the Harrsons, Poythress, and Lee? How much have those guys been harmed by things like the "platoon system"?

Reactions: shadow force
[QUOTE="zipp, post: 70719, member: Like the Harrsons, Poythress, and Lee? How much have those guys been harmed by things like the "platoon system"?

"Elite program", my a$$...[/QUOTE]

Not quite sure who the "harrsons" are, but all 4 of the players I believe you're talking about have been to 2 Final Fours, and a Title game.

Last edited:
I didn't say that Pitino did or didn't, so calm down. I said that was the key issue in Jones' tweet, the one everybody ignored. The thread was hijacked into "how many guys has each coach helped/hurt regarding draft status." Personally, I think the Harrisons would have been drafted out of high school, but I doubt any team that worked them out would have drafted them very high. I remember before the 2014 season, Doug Gottlieb tweeted that Kentucky wouldn't be as good as everyone thought because everyone he had talked to said the Harrisons were vast;u overrated and had terrible body language. Doug got ripped over it by UK fans.

I remember distinctly Russ Jones saying he had talked to Pitino and Pitino said he needed to work on his point guard skills so he came back. That's a case where a coach gave a kid bad advice. The funny thing it, the guys Cal HAS recommended come back haven't. Teague being the key guy there.

From an article on 247 Sports, where Harrell has yet to make his decision and Pitino tells them what he told Harrell...

“That’s a short version of what I said to him. Now if he is drafted from like 10 to 16-17 then obviously it’s something he’ll consider strongly. But if you go into the ladder part of the draft and you’ve got to sit behind somebody you’re better off coming back and trying to be a Top 6 of 7 player in the draft. That’s what I told him.”

So, what you're saying above is that Calipari HAS given players advice, just like Pitino has. Again, both coaches give their players as much information and advice as possible, then let them and their family's make the decision. How on Earth can you believe telling a 6 foot nothing guard that he needs to work on his point guard skills is bad advice? What you would have us believe is that Calipari only gives fatherly advice that always works out for the betterment of the player, while Pitino gives selfish advice for the betterment of his UofL team and can be detrimental to the player's career. There are plenty of examples of both sides where a PLAYER made the wrong decision, despite whatever information the coach might have given him. Players and their families (or handlers) most often make the decision they think is best for them, regardless of what information is given to them. Stop thinking Coach Calipari is unique in caring about his players and giving them information, so they can make the best decision possible for themselves. Most coaches do the same, they just don't use it as a marketing tool.

So, what you're saying above is that Calipari HAS given players advice, just like Pitino has. Again, both coaches give their players as much information and advice as possible, then let them and their family's make the decision. How on Earth can you believe telling a 6 foot nothing guard that he needs to work on his point guard skills is bad advice? What you would have us believe is that Calipari only gives fatherly advice that always works out for the betterment of the player, while Pitino gives selfish advice for the betterment of his UofL team and can be detrimental to the player's career. There are plenty of examples of both sides where a PLAYER made the wrong decision, despite whatever information the coach might have given him. Players and their families (or handlers) most often make the decision they think is best for them, regardless of what information is given to them. Stop thinking Coach Calipari is unique in caring about his players and giving them information, so they can make the best decision possible for themselves. Most coaches do the same, they just don't use it as a marketing tool.

* Telling a 6-foot-0 guard he needs to work on his point guard skills is fine. Bringing him back and putting him in pretty much the same role he had before is the problem. Russ was a first rounder after their national championship run. The iron was hot.
* Yes, all coaches give their players advice. But what that advice is can be the difference between a guaranteed contract and a spot in the second round. Matt Jones said that Pitino's advice to Harrell cost him money. This thread ignored that and went on a tangent.

I guarantee Russ made more $ than you this year, what's your point? Russ was a 2*/3* out of hs, he developed here at UofL, whereas your coach gets credit (plus credits himself) for developing already NBA ready kids.

No, you just missed the part where I said Harrell was PROJECTED in roughly the same draft status last year as this year. The difference this year was his draft combine workouts that apparently didn't elevate him ahead of other players at his position. No one can say, and certainly not Matt Jones, how his draft combine workouts would have effected his actual drafted position last year, because he chose to stay. But also, no unbiased person can deny he is a better player this year than last, and better prepared to make an impact in the NBA.

Been to and played in are two seperate things. How much court time did Lee get in both years of those final fours and championship game? Did Poythress participate or was he watching from the bench on crutches? I give Poythress a pass because of his injury but the twins stock dropped like Enron from the time they were in AAU and declared for the draft. Lee should have a * next to his name because he may be at uk for all 4 years, which is a good thing to most people who enjoy college basketball. Unfortunately, the Cal standard and many uk fans standard is that they are only good if they leave within 1 and sometimes 2 years. Otherwise, a 3-4 year players must be a bust. If that's the standard then Lee will be considered a failure. At this stage, Lee is already a failure in Cal's eyes. Poythress may very well break out of his shell in his 3rd full season(which is highly doubtful considering his previous years). But if Poythress enters the draft after next season and drops past the first round or doesn't get picked up he too will be a complete failure considering where he was projected before being coached by Cal.

So the jury is still out on Lee and Poythress. But by the numbers, both have already failed to meet Cal's expectations and many uk fans even if both do get drafted after being in school for 3 years or more. The point being made here is Matty Bangs is full of crap and won't speak negatively about uk or Cal even when the truth is shoved down his throat. Pitino never told Trez to come back. Trez decided on his own to come back for another year. Trez was quoted as saying that last year. The door was left open and he CHOSE to return and work on his game. He wasn't projected any higher last year and all signs pointed to him being a 1st rounder this year but strange things happened like Larry Nance Jr getting tapped in the 1st round and Kevon Looney also getting tapped late 1st round. There were other head scratchers but it happens. Trez will be fine regardless. He will be in the league for a long time.

I read that statement and my BS alarm went off. Yes, he called the 2010 drafft the greatest day in the history of Kentucky basketball. I am going to avoid the obvious "every year cannot be the greatest day in history" arguement and address the point about this claim. Cal's statements that the goal for the season was to get 8 players drafted, and saying that Kentucky's season ends on draft day supports Zipp's case.

I suggest you look up argumentum ad hominem. Addressing Cal's statements is not an attack on him.

I'm going to refrain from educating you on argumentative fallacies here and stick to the point. Cal said once what zipp quoted him as saying EVERY year. That's simply false, and that's what I was pointing out.

From all the stuff written here, it appears that the only people describing UK players that are at UK longer than 1-2 years as 'failures' are uofl fans. It's pretty easy to tell when you see a player come in as a freshman if their game is advanced to the point that they won't see a sophomore season. John Wall, Anthony Davis are perfect examples.

From all the stuff written here, it appears that the only people describing UK players that are at UK longer than 1-2 years as 'failures' are uofl fans. It's pretty easy to tell when you see a player come in as a freshman if their game is advanced to the point that they won't see a sophomore season. John Wall, Anthony Davis are perfect examples.

Eh, it's rival spin. Frame all things in the most negative way possible. Pretty much the same as what Matt Jones does regularly in regards to UofL. I've always thought of MJ as basically a RR poster with a radio show. I think that's actually his appeal; he is "one of us" with BBN. And he is very good and very successful at it. Props to him.

Reactions: ClockCalamity
...all 4 of the players I believe you're talking about have been to 2 Final Fours, and a Title game.
That's not the primary objective for those players or their coach...to get CLOSE to a championship. That's what LPT fans want most.

Your coach wants to deliver them to fat contracts in the NBA. In that mission, he has failed miserably with those guys. That's a supreme fail. And unlike the Harrell situation, we know that has factually happened, at least so far.

That's not the primary objective for those players or their coach...to get CLOSE to a championship. That's what LPT fans want most.

Your coach wants to deliver them to fat contracts in the NBA. In that mission, he has failed miserably with those guys. That's a supreme fail. And unlike the Harrell situation, we know that has factually happened, at least so far.

You're not a UK fan, however, you know what UK fans want more than UK fans. Interesting concept.

You're not a UK fan, however, you know what UK fans want more than UK fans. Interesting concept.

I agree; it's a preposterous concept. Just as preposterous as Matt Jones thinking (and UK fans believing) he knows what interaction went on between Pitino and Harrell that lead Harrell to return last year but leave this year. It's an arrogant and ignorant claim to make. Thus this thread.

Russ was a first rounder after their national championship run.

Your opinion does not make it fact. You say for certain that Russ would've been drafted in the first round but the reality is you have no better idea than anyone else.

Your opinion does not make it fact. You say for certain that Russ would've been drafted in the first round but the reality is you have no better idea than anyone else.

Let me ask your honest opinion....would Russ Smith, fresh off his dominant performance in the first four rounds of the NCAA tournament, been taken by one of the playoff teams looking for someone who could perform off the bench?

Let me ask your honest opinion....would Russ Smith, fresh off his dominant performance in the first four rounds of the NCAA tournament, been taken by one of the playoff teams looking for someone who could perform off the bench?

In my opinion, an emphatic no. After his junior season (NC year), Russ was still considered to have poor shot selection, with a fairly low shooting percentage, with no point guard skills. He was a scorer, not a shooter. In his senior year, his shooting percentage went from 41.4% to 46.8% (3 ptrs. went from 32.8% to 38.7%; and his assists went from 2.9 to 4.6. He showed he was much better prepared to help a team after his senior season than his junior season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT