ADVERTISEMENT

Masterman & Usher

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Saw a early top 25 baseball poll from Baseball America that has the Cards #4.

Amongst the returning players listed were Masterman and Usher. I was surprised. Does this mean they're not expected to be drafted and are using the extra covid year?

I haven't seen anything about this since the season ended against Texas A&M. Does anyone have any insight?

Hmmm. Interesting. I thought both had exhausted their eligibility. Could be wrong. If, BIG IF, they were to return. Yikes. That is a lot of firepower coming back. Just don’t know of there is enough space at the inn though. Several younger guys waiting in the wings. Do you retain these guys and hope the others don’t transfer out?

Well, it would be the extra covid year because they haven't been here 5 years already. I just assumed both would get drafted but there's not as many rounds anymore.

Usher really surprises me because he has multiple tools. I figured some team would draft him and they still may.

Maybe both will get picked in the last rounds but decide to take that extra covid year to get better?

Maybe. I think if Usher could hit .300 and above he would be very attractive. His hitting just hasn’t been where it needs to be to make him elite.

I think I posted in another thread,when you see opponents class listed as Graduate instead of any of the other 4 classes(and I saw it quite a bit) I'm guessing those guys are using that Covid year. We didn't have any guys listed like that this past season. That could change next year. Again,stay tuned...

Both are exceptional college players, and Usher maybe one of the most athletic baseball players in my memory at UL; however it would be a stretch to expect either one to be a high MLB draftee this year.

So Cam didn’t get drafted? If he returns along with guys already coming back, pardon my language, but holy shit!

I guess I'm thinking a guy like Masterman at 22-23 years old is probably wanting to get on with his pro career if possible,but he could become a more valued commodity should he return for a graduate season and tear it up. Idk

College baseball, particularly at those schools like UL where its tradition displays MLB talent, can serve as a great opportunity to increase professional capability. If Cam elects to return to school, he has every opportunity to work hard in this offseason to increase his performance level come Spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT