ADVERTISEMENT

** Louisville vs. UC SB - Sunday - Win or Stay Home **

What a weapon. Comes in with 2 on, no outs. 2 batters later, inning over, no damage done,

Closer is the loneliest job on a Baseball team, college or pro. When you blow a save everybody sees it. And when you blow a save on the biggest stage in the biggest games, everybody sees it. I really feel for Burdi. He's the best closer in college baseball. He just didn't have his stuff or command today. On the homer, it was a mistake on a 1-2 count. He put it right on the inner half of the plate. But the fact that the hitter took advantage is absurd because it was a Freshman with 26 At Bats on the season coming into the game. One of the craziest endings I've ever seen. But Congrats on a great season Card fans. Nothing to hang your head about.

Schmidty,

Unfortunately this has been way too common theme when we bring Burdi in for a 2 inning save. It seems like he has to show that he can throw a slider, change up and a 100 mph fastball. The problem is that it is difficult to master all those pitches every time you go out. If you're facing a .227 batter with no HRs all you need is command AND location of the FB. He got in trouble because he couldn't locate the FB anymore.

Schmidty,

Unfortunately this has been way too common theme when we bring Burdi in for a 2 inning save. It seems like he has to show that he can throw a slider, change up and a 100 mph fastball. The problem is that it is difficult to master all those pitches every time you go out. If you're facing a .227 batter with no HRs all you need is command AND location of the FB. He got in trouble because he couldn't locate the FB anymore.
The other thing is the two walks did him in. In a situation like that, you need to keep the ball away because it is harder for the hitter to do damage on balls on the outer half of the plate. But once he loaded the bases he put himself in a situation where he literally couldn't walk anybody. It is harder to keep the ball away and either paint the corner or get the hitter to chase. So then he made that mistake on the inner half of the plate and payed the price. Walks will kill you.

The other thing is the two walks did him in. In a situation like that, you need to keep the ball away because it is harder for the hitter to do damage on balls on the outer half of the plate. But once he loaded the bases he put himself in a situation where he literally couldn't walk anybody. It is harder to keep the ball away and either paint the corner or get the hitter to chase. So then he made that mistake on the inner half of the plate and payed the price. Walks will kill you.
I agree but the point I was making he got "too cute" with all the different pitches instead of going right after the batter. He doesn't need to "nibble" with a 95+ fastball.

What a season to watch! Hats off to those kids, played their hearts out. Hate it to end as it did but at least I can actually watch the Cards play baseball on TV with the kids, something that wasn't happening a few years ago.

After the initial single and the walk it felt like "well here we go again..." and sure enough self-fulfilling prophecy. (I don't call a freshmen hitter vs. a ready pro clutch hitting, it's truly the personification of a blown save). Should have just kept up with the smoke. Few other mistakes as well along the way. I wouldn't trade McDonnell for anybody considering what he's done with this team but this is two years in a row where you've had everything you could want to get back to Omaha and nothing. Last year should have been a teaching year in that regard with this one being the lessons learned. They weren't ready for good play against good teams (again). That's on him.

Was so ready for us to take the next step as who knows how many times you're going to get this seeding with this type of talent....

I agree but the point I was making he got "too cute" with all the different pitches instead of going right after the batter. He doesn't need to "nibble" with a 95+ fastball.
No he should have went right after the two guys he walked with gas. Let them put the ball in play if they can. A homer with a man on first wouldn't have hurt you. My theory is he got spooked when the first guy got a hit on a hard ground ball up the middle. Up to that point he had been going right after people. Then he started to get cute and nibble. Sometimes hitters are going to get a hit. But when you walk people you magnify any mistakes you might make.

It was the same problem with his brother - they simply couldn't locate the FB when they absolutely had to. They both put up impressive numbers in their respective college careers but much of it was feasting on the regular season on average hitters from average teams.

Gas, gas, gas. Throw the FB till they hit it. He served up an 86 mph change up on the home run.

Gas, gas, gas. Throw the FB till they hit it. He served up an 86 mph change up on the home run.
Ironic though that it is his fastball that gets hit the most. When you throw that fast the ball comes in flat and stays on the same plane. Hitters just need to meet the ball because Burdi supplies all the power.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT