ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville pitching

Jack Coffee

4500+
Staff
Sep 18, 2006
Will Craig, the ACC POY last season for Wake Forest batted .167 (2-12) against Louisville in four games. His batting average went from .410 to .385

Is McClure now the first pitcher nationally to get to 12 wins?...

Our starting pitchers have been nothing short of phenomenal.Burdi in relief for the past 6 weeks has been unstoppable.If we can get 1 or 2 more middle guys to close that gap,look out!

McKay didn't have his best stuff today.Give Clemson credit for adjusting though,something we haven't done against their starter.

Brendan had his worst game as a starter - ever. The entire day was weird. The botched bunt just destroyed us,

Wake up on Clemson 4-1. If wake, Clemson and us finish in 3 way tie, we win the pool by virtue of a better regular season record. Cmon Deacons!!!

Brendan hasn't consistently been his old self since Funk was "demoted" to Sundays. And Funk has performed better.

Interesting correlation, but I'm not alleging that one is affecting the other...

Brendan hasn't consistently been his old self since Funk was "demoted" to Sundays. And Funk has performed better.

Interesting correlation, but I'm not alleging that one is affecting the other...
The "correlation" is that typically your Friday night starter is your ace or No.1. Reason being is that once you get to post season tournaments is that allows your ace to pitch more than once and you can bring him back later. For whatever reason, there seems to be added pressure for the Friday night starter and usually why you want your senior in that role.

I'm interested to see if Mac makes the move back to Funk.I don't think it'd be crazy.Funk is a senior and this is his team.I don't know,maybe though.

Last edited:
Unless there are matchup issues, I kind of think Funk may just get the first start. He only got in 2 innings during the week, so it's sort of his turn. He was dominating in his little stint, too.

It's what I would do.

I agree that it's just funks turn since he didn't get a start in the ACC tournament. If he stays with that rotation, does McClure start the 2nd game or back to McKay?

No reason not to return to the standard rotation. Funk, Brendan, Drew then McClure, if necessary. If you wait to start Funk in a game 4, he could sit another week.

I think if he doesn't start,I'm gonna lose my mind.It's his team.He has done what's needed to put himself in position to lead this team.Go get em Funk!!

I know it's Funk's turn,but this situation could've been handled any number of ways.I'm thankful our coach has decided to let it play out this way.Win or lose.

There are quite a few reasons that Funk needs to start. 1st, it is his turn in the rotation as he didn't get to pitch a regular start in the ACC tournament. You want to try to keep a regular rotation if possible to minimize affecting the entire staff. Post season is more pressure. You want to win that first game as you are going to see that team's ace or No.1. What I know about college ball is every team in post season has 1 great pitcher. Funk is the senior and can handle the pressure. McKay and Harrington didn't handle it as well in their last outings and even though McClure is undefeated, he hasn't been in this situation. He didn't get off to a good start last game but our offense bailed him out. If Funk were still struggling then I might be concerned.

Go Cards!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT