ADVERTISEMENT

Lemonis - MSU

Hmmmmmmmm, “1985”? Explain please.

GO CARDS!
I had followed the CWS for several years but never really got interested until one of our summer replacements at work got me into it. He was baseball player at Belmont in Nashville and had played against some of those in the CWS.

ESPN carried the games and they were as far up Texas' butt as they are the SEC now, so I looked for another team to beat Texas. Hence Mississippi State. I didn't know it at the time but they had four players who would become major league All Stars. Thunder and Lightning (Will Clark and Raphael Palmeiro) were there power hitters, Jeff Brantley pitched and Bobby Thigpen played OF and relieved.

They were kicking the crap out of Texas for the right to go to the finals when suddenly a Texas hitter hit the #2 pitcher in the shin or ankle with a line drive. Don't remember if he continued to pitch but Texas came back and won. I can't remember who beat them the 2nd time but I've heard Jeff Brantley speak of being totally out of gas at the end. Miami would eventually win the crown.

I hadn't thought of it in ages until I saw an episode of SEC Storied featuring the 1985 MS State baseball team during a rain delay. I have still never got attending the CWS off my Bucket List.

Now you have me wondering if the kid from Belmont ever got his medical degree!

Reactions: nccardfan and gocds
I had followed the CWS for several years but never really got interested until one of our summer replacements at work got me into it. He was baseball player at Belmont in Nashville and had played against some of those in the CWS.

ESPN carried the games and they were as far up Texas' butt as they are the SEC now, so I looked for another team to beat Texas. Hence Mississippi State. I didn't know it at the time but they had four players who would become major league All Stars. Thunder and Lightning (Will Clark and Raphael Palmeiro) were there power hitters, Jeff Brantley pitched and Bobby Thigpen played OF and relieved.

They were kicking the crap out of Texas for the right to go to the finals when suddenly a Texas hitter hit the #2 pitcher in the shin or ankle with a line drive. Don't remember if he continued to pitch but Texas came back and won. I can't remember who beat them the 2nd time but I've heard Jeff Brantley speak of being totally out of gas at the end. Miami would eventually win the crown.

I hadn't thought of it in ages until I saw an episode of SEC Storied featuring the 1985 MS State baseball team during a rain delay. I have still never got attending the CWS off my Bucket List.

Now you have me wondering if the kid from Belmont ever got his medical degree!
Good story and yes I too have yet to cross Omaha off my bucket list. I was convinced early on that I was going last year but… Well you know.

We should be very good next season. Maybe next year will be magical.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: Deeva
Congrats to my second choice of school. I was dang close to becoming and MSU bulldog. I hope we climb that mountain soon. No idea what our pitching will be like. We should be capable at the plate next season.

Reactions: Deeva and gocds
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT