ADVERTISEMENT

Lefors was "magical"...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
The word Petrino used today describing his play in 2003-2004. Not the best QB fundamentally, but almost without peer from a decision-making standpoint.

Not that any of us needed to hear that as proof. But it's best to know what Petrino is looking for in his QB. Talking about a guy's mechanics, throwing motion, arm strength, or foot speed--while important--is not the ultimate measuring stick...

Reactions: pervisl
He could run and was quick. One of the best scramblers I can remember. I'm sure that had something to do with his insane completion percentage.

He could run and was quick. One of the best scramblers I can remember. I'm sure that had something to do with his insane completion percentage.

He worked the offense ... that's why Petrino loved him, and it certainly helped his completion percentage. When your coach is an offensive genius, and gets the better players on your team in mismatches against the guys on the other team, just running the offense will make you look great. LeFors also was very fast, and made good decisions quickly, which allowed him to be one of the most proficient QBs we've ever had here.

Reactions: pervisl
I saw him in the spring prior to that year and I said that he was one of the worst QB's ever at UL. No experience, no arm and really short!
I believe that he converted every 3rd and 4 that year, you simply couldn't stop him on downs where he was a threat to run or pass.

Would have loved to see what CBP would have done with Teddy especially if Parker had been healthy!

We're looking at 11-1 as there's absolutely no way they lose the UVA and Clemson games. I hate saying 12-0 because Louisville has never done this, but the reason the FSU loss happened is because the offense went 3 & out so many times, giving FSU so many opportunities against a tiring defense that really couldn't be asked to do more than it did. Teddy thrived on 3rd down situations, he gets some of those and keeps their offense off the field. But it's not crazy to say 12-0 and in the CFP.

None of this can be proven of course (hell maybe they lose to Syracuse or something) but it's fun to think about.

LeFors was my favorite player of the modern era. Kid had more heart and guts to make up for the physical tools he didn't possess than any other player. Yes, Teddy was the best QB, but LeFors is my favorite.

Reactions: SoulSr
LeFors was my favorite player of the modern era. Kid had more heart and guts to make up for the physical tools he didn't possess than any other player. Yes, Teddy was the best QB, but LeFors is my favorite.

LeFors was the better college QB. That of course doesn't always translate into success in the pros. Teddy will make a fine pro and was a fine college QB...but LeFors was the better QB while at UofL.

LeFors was the better college QB. That of course doesn't always translate into success in the pros. Teddy will make a fine pro and was a fine college QB...but LeFors was the better QB while at UofL.

Teddy was something to watch when it came to timing patterns. That is what will make him very successful in the NFL.

Can you imagine what he would have been like with that skill set in a Petrino offense.

Teddy was something to watch when it came to timing patterns. That is what will make him very successful in the NFL.

Can you imagine what he would have been like with that skill set in a Petrino offense.

Yeah, he also had some really good supporting cast. And I think Teddy would thrive under any coach fwiw. But LeFor was a special more versatile college player.

No bigger LeFors fan than me and I actually called it at the end of the prior year that LeFors would start and not Bush et al (remember the Bush as a QB thing from 2003 to 04). Anyway, have to dispute the whole LeFors was a better college QB thing. SL never did anything like this, great as he was. They are both badass all time U of L greats nonetheless.

http://media.giphy.com/media/12F6YdMZQTNd8Q/giphy.gif

Reactions: OmegaCard
No bigger LeFors fan than me and I actually called it at the end of the prior year that LeFors would start and not Bush et al (remember the Bush as a QB thing from 2003 to 04). Anyway, have to dispute the whole LeFors was a better college QB thing. SL never did anything like this, great as he was. They are both badass all time U of L greats nonetheless.

http://media.giphy.com/media/12F6YdMZQTNd8Q/giphy.gif

That was an awesome play. I agree. Both put up great numbers and did great things. People expected great things from Teddy. LeFors not so much. To me that's what makes college great...heart. Laying it all out for the love of the game and your university. Playing above expectations.

LeFors was deadly on the rollout, run/pass option. He could throw with great accuracy, on the run, going either direction. It spead the defense and created running or passing lanes to exploit. TB had a stronger arm, but both were great leaders, tough competitors, and good students and citizens. You can't lose with either guy.

Reactions: SoulSr
LeFors was deadly on the rollout, run/pass option. He could throw with great accuracy, on the run, going either direction. It spead the defense and created running or passing lanes to exploit. TB had a stronger arm, but both were great leaders, tough competitors, and good students and citizens. You can't lose with either guy.

I'm with you man, I don't like to say one is better than the other. They were both great in every way and it's not a competition so I'm good with leaving it at that, throwing no shade at either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT