ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State opening

mwatson61

Four-Star Poster
Jun 14, 2005
Louisville
Any thoughts about Coach Walz looking at the Mississippi State job? Personally I’d say no. Not with Dana coming back and what he has built for the future.

From a Mississippi State site:

Robbie and I have worked the phones and compared notes. Here are some of the things that we have learned in the early stages of the search for the new women's basketball coach.

Kentucky head coach Matthew Mitchell is very much a name of interest for the job. We have spoken with multiple parties who have varying opinions about his interest in the job. To be frank, there are more people who believe he ends up staying in Lexington at this point than those who expect him to come home. One source close to him tells me he would love to come back to Mississippi State, but the situation would have to be perfect. He has a good situation at Kentucky and is very comfortable with the working relationships there.

As per the usual custom, Mitchell made the preemptive strike by tweeting out his feelings about Kentucky and his desire to stay there. With the April signing date approaching, he can't afford to have rumors swirling about him taking another job. He is, however, on the Mississippi State list.

Louisville head coach Jeff Walz is another name to remember. Robbie mentioned him yesterday in the notes. Walz has done a tremendous job at Louisville and he's getting paid a salary that matches those accomplishments. He made over 1.5 mil in 2019 from what I understand. I reached out to a peer that covers the Cardinals and was told that Walz has always been one willing to entertain initial talks with other programs. They did wonder if the timing was right to make a move with a loaded recruiting class coming in and star guard and ACC player of the year Dana Evans electing to return for her senior season. There is some optimism that UL can make another run to the final four next season.

Based on the conversations I have had over the last couple of days, I expect Cohen to kick the tires at the very least to see if Walz has a serious interest and to see if it's the right fit for both sides.

I have been told by a source that I trust without reservation that South Carolina's Dawn Staley is working behind the scenes to support Old Dominion coach Nikki McCray-Penson as a candidate for the Mississippi State job. McCray-Penson played for Pat Summit at Tennessee before playing in the WNBA for over a decade. Once her playing days were over, she joined Staley's staff at South Carolina and was on the staff when the Gamecocks won the NCAA title in 2017. The two coached together in Columbia from 2008 to 2017.

Some Bulldogs including myself would initially wonder why Staley would make life more difficult for herself. I have been told my multiple parties that Staley truly believes McCray-Penson is a coach on the rise and is ready for a major job. Staley is also very much an advocate for more women coaches in the game.

I am not sure at this point how serious Mississippi State is about her at this point, but I feel comfortable in saying she is very interested in the vacancy.

Finally, there is a tremendous amount of support for long time Bulldog assistant coach Johnnie Harris. Based on what I am hearing, I do expect her to get an interview for the job. I don't think its a given that she is essentially promoted to the HC position. There will be a search and several candidates will be vetted. The information that I have gathered suggests to me that State will take a look at some established head coaches as well as Harris. If Johnnie gets the job, it will be because she is the right person for the job and not just someone we all know. She is a candidate, but there is a process that must take place before a hire is made.

More info as I get it.

Reactions: Deeva

I heard on the radio that CJW is having a press conference like Mack did I think tomorrow. I’m sure this subject will come up.

Why would VT need to do that? We can’t just pay our coach more every time someone is interested. Sonja would know for sure but I thought CJW got a bump following the last tourney run and Tennessee pursuit. Fact is: UofL’s program is stronger than Ms St. They have certainly had some good teams over the years but I think UofL is a notch above them.

Why would VT need to do that? We can’t just pay our coach more every time someone is interested. Sonja would know for sure but I thought CJW got a bump following the last tourney run and Tennessee pursuit. Fact is: UofL’s program is stronger than Ms St. They have certainly had some good teams over the years but I think UofL is a notch above them.

Because the market determines your worth. IF someone is willing to offer $2mill for your coach, you better sweetened that current deal because his value is through the roof. And I don't know if our program is stronger than MIss St. or not. Coach Walz is one of the only premier coaches not in his 60's, so he's going to be the next big thing every time someone's looking for a coach. Whatever we need to do to make him happy and keep him here. IF it requires a pay bump, so be it.

Reactions: zipp
Outside of the SEC or Big 10+2, no other athletic budgets can afford $2M in our current climate. I think CJW loves our community and is a proud PAPA of the program he has built here. He’s also a coach unlike others, that lives up to the commitments he gave his players and their parents. He’s not walking away from Dana or Hailey. He’s too invested in them and the rest of his players. The twitter feed I posted mentioned anonymous sources. You gotta love the credibility of that tweet!

Reactions: Bardman
Outside of the SEC or Big 10+2, no other athletic budgets can afford $2M in our current climate. I think CJW loves our community and is a proud PAPA of the program he has built here. He’s also a coach unlike others, that lives up to the commitments he gave his players and their parents. He’s not walking away from Dana or Hailey. He’s too invested in them and the rest of his players. The twitter feed I posted mentioned anonymous sources. You gotta love the credibility of that tweet!

That is true, but CJW is a smart man, and he's always been able to negotiate his contract when need be. This may not be the time, but he's played that game before, and rightfully so.

We don't think he's going anywhere. But if he's being offered $2million, I sure as hell wouldn't take him for granted. That's a lot of money in women's basketball. That's assuming that offer is correct, I have no sources to check. lol

We don't think he's going anywhere. But if he's being offered $2million, I sure as hell wouldn't take him for granted. That's a lot of money in women's basketball. That's assuming that offer is correct, I have no sources to check. lol

Check your text message from Chicken Little, Flav. Rumor is the sky is falling.

--sonja--

Check your text message from Chicken Little, Flav. Rumor is the sky is falling.

--sonja--

I quit checking those messages when someone told me Rick Pitino was coming to Louisville. I told them the sky was falling and no way! The next thing I know I'm watching a helicopter follow a limo all the way to campus with a Coach Pitino in tow. You never know! Nothing is forever.

WDRB had a story this morning discussing a rumor that Miss St is in discussions with an ACC coach who has Final Four experience. Walz said it’s the same thing that happened last year. First, I didn’t realize there was an opening at Miss St and secondly, Walz has a great recruiting class coming in. He did make a comment that universities (s) will have a tough time financially especially if FB is canceled. He said there will be cuts; tightening the purse strings.

I don’t think he’s going anywhere. But you never know.

He already basically shot this down in his teleconference yesterday. If he didn’t leave for Tennessee, he’s not leaving for MSU.

Reactions: Bardman
He already basically shot this down in his teleconference yesterday. If he didn’t leave for Tennessee, he’s not leaving for MSU.
I agree. But I haven’t seen anything on here even mentioning it. What happened to Miss St head coach?

Zipp would be delighted if he left, it would confirm that he left because of Vince NQ and the clown show (who have now lost the three main clowns). If he stays, the fact that he was “looking” would be evidence that CJW hates Vince NQ, otherwise he would never look.

Reactions: Cardiac Red

In the hierarchy of women's college basketball, I'd go UT, UCONN, Stanford, Notre Dame, Baylor, then I'm not sure who. I know Mississippi State is not in the conversation. UofL is currently a top 5 program. All time, there's work to be done.

‘zipp’ monitors and reports what ‘Vince’ screws up. And now he deals with Walz’s agent...

I merged the thread from the Collision Course to the conversation on the Women’s Athletics Forum.

Reactions: mwatson61
Raising 2 daughters in Starkville MS versus Louisville ........ I do not think so.

Reactions: gocds
UT ‘all-time’ top 5’ for sure. Right now...I really don’t think so. Heck, I’d place South Carolina above Ms St and Ut right now.

Not sure I can link it but on the Miss St 247 site they say their womens job is down to Nikki McCray of ODU and Jeff Walz.

Walz said he’s not going anywhere. Imo that would be a lateral move.

Did not know Schaefer moved on to TX. He did a great job at MSU but I just cannot see Walz going there. JMO

Peace

Their board is pretty celebratory as they think they have Walz inbound. Very similar to McDonnell last year so hopefully they are wrong again.

Zipp would be delighted if he left, it would confirm that he left because of Vince NQ and the clown show (who have now lost the three main clowns). If he stays, the fact that he was “looking” would be evidence that CJW hates Vince NQ, otherwise he would never look.
So friggin true..:D

Nobody knows if he's going or staying, maybe not even him.

If he goes he goes, if he stays great. But if you're going to stay squash these rumors as soon as they pop up, otherwise it just looks like you're using the opportunity to angle for a raise, and in the current situation that's not a good look..

Nobody knows if he's going or staying, maybe not even him.

If he goes he goes, if he stays great. But if you're going to stay squash these rumors as soon as they pop up, otherwise it just looks like you're using the opportunity to angle for a raise, and in the current situation that's not a good look..

It's becoming an annoying tradition every year with him using the rumor mill as a stump for a raise. Eventually he'll have to be fine with what he is making or move on. He just got a raise and extension after the 2018 season.

I love the way "Vince" has set this up for himself. He tries to mess over Walz a couple years ago prompting Walz to hire an agent. And now repeatedly, that exact AD-coach relationship is put to the test.

Even if he's outta money, our boy "Vince" has long range vision...

stevie-wonder-9-1273508617-view-1.jpg

Money is one item to consider, but right now the UL job is one of the top 4 in the country. UConn drops off the face of the round ball once Gino leaves. Big East WBB and SEC WBB do not rank up with the premier ACC WBB league.

Where do they come up with this stuff?

Ben Portnoy
April 9, 2020 12:49:01 PM

STARKVILLE -- Mississippi State is nearing the end of its women's basketball coaching search.

A source with immediate knowledge of the situation told The Dispatch Thursday that MSU Athletic Director John Cohen is down to a final two of Louisville's Jeff Walz and Old Dominion's Nikki McCray-Penson.
A final decision could be made as early as Thursday as both Walz and McCray-Penson reportedly want the job.

It remains to be seen what either would be paid should they take the job.
Should neither Walz or McCray-Penson take the job, a contingency plan is in place, but decision-makers are confident a deal will be reached with one of the two candidates in the coming days.

It is all b.s. about Walz

Some jack-leg writer in a non-descript southern town is trying to make a name for himself. They're likely to get McCray-Penson, but Walz isn't interested in taking the Miss. St job.

I love the "immediate knowledge" line at the start of the article. Maybe this Einstein is secretly talking to Walz's daughters Lucy or Lola. Or Bingo the family dog.

This guy also says "should neither take the job..." WHOA, bud ! You said earlier both are interested in the job. Nice continuity in an article, moron.

Seriously, Walz just put down several truck loads of mulch in his yard. Does that sound like a guy looking to get out of Louisville?

I heard that an alien space craft landed in Hurstbourne. Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa and Sheriff Bill Gillespie emerged, spoke at length with Walz and re-boarded with him, headed to Starksville.

Once again, you heard it here (again).

--sonja--

Johnnie Harris, who served as former coach Vic Schaefer's associate head coach for the entirety of his stay in Starkville, also interviewed for the job earlier this week.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwatson61
It's becoming an annoying tradition every year with him using the rumor mill as a stump for a raise. Eventually he'll have to be fine with what he is making or move on. He just got a raise and extension after the 2018 season.
You’re putting words in his mouth. He said yesterday that this happens every year now. Relax.

Where do they come up with this stuff?

Ben Portnoy
April 9, 2020 12:49:01 PM

STARKVILLE -- Mississippi State is nearing the end of its women's basketball coaching search.

A source with immediate knowledge of the situation told The Dispatch Thursday that MSU Athletic Director John Cohen is down to a final two of Louisville's Jeff Walz and Old Dominion's Nikki McCray-Penson.
A final decision could be made as early as Thursday as both Walz and McCray-Penson reportedly want the job.

It remains to be seen what either would be paid should they take the job.
Should neither Walz or McCray-Penson take the job, a contingency plan is in place, but decision-makers are confident a deal will be reached with one of the two candidates in the coming days.

It is all b.s. about Walz

Some jack-leg writer in a non-descript southern town is trying to make a name for himself. They're likely to get McCray-Penson, but Walz isn't interested in taking the Miss. St job.

I love the "immediate knowledge" line at the start of the article. Maybe this Einstein is secretly talking to Walz's daughters Lucy or Lola. Or Bingo the family dog.

This guy also says "should neither take the job..." WHOA, bud ! You said earlier both are interested in the job. Nice continuity in an article, moron.

Seriously, Walz just put down several truck loads of mulch in his yard. Does that sound like a guy looking to get out of Louisville?

I heard that an alien space craft landed in Hurstbourne. Elvis, Jimmy Hoffa and Sheriff Bill Gillespie emerged, spoke at length with Walz and re-boarded with him, headed to Starksville.

Once again, you heard it here (again).

--sonja--

Johnnie Harris, who served as former coach Vic Schaefer's associate head coach for the entirety of his stay in Starkville, also interviewed for the job earlier this week.
Have you heard directly that he has no interest or is that just your take..?

Just curious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT