ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Stillman touting Reggie Bonnafon on 93.9...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
I missed practice Saturday morning with my other U of L commitments (baseball and women's basketball). So I'm relying here on the input of others. A number of posters continue to talk about Bonnafon changing positions.

But Stillman says he was at Saturday's practice and liked how RB looked. His opinion counts for no more than anyone else's, but it does fly in the face of the changing-positions crowd.

I happen to think that Petrino will let the cake bake with Bonnafon. And if there's anything I can say with certainty that's on Bonnafon's side, it's that Petrino is apparently recruiting QBs in the mold of Bonnafon--fast, athletic, dual-threat guys. Sure Petrino wants Bolin, Gardner, and Ferguson to compete. But in my opinion, if those three were high school guys, Petrino would not be recruiting them as QBs for his system. He clearly wants guys like Bonnafon...

All of what you say may be true ...

But Petrino was the one who recruited Ferguson to campus, not Charlie Strong. So clearly, he liked what he saw in him, and wanted him on his roster.

We'll see what happens. I've always said this --- if Reggie finds himself buried on the QB depth chart - say 3rd or 4th spot -- I bet he would switch positions. Because Reggie is talented enough to not only make that kind of move, but excel in that kind of move.

The fact that me saying this is taken as a slight of him is pretty bizarre to me. But maybe that's more a reflection of those perceiving a slight ....

Regardless ... That's always been my stance. And until he outright wins the job, and shows an ability to hang onto it, that will continue to be my stance.

Originally posted by Pervis_Griffith:

But Petrino was the one who recruited Ferguson to campus, not Charlie Strong. So clearly, he liked what he saw in him, and wanted him on his roster.

We'll see what happens. I've always said this --- if Reggie finds himself buried on the QB depth chart - say 3rd or 4th spot -- I bet he would switch positions. Because Reggie is talented enough to not only make that kind of move, but excel in that kind of move.

The fact that me saying this is taken as a slight of him is pretty bizarre to me. But maybe that's more a reflection of those perceiving a slight ....

Regardless ... That's always been my stance. And until he outright wins the job, and shows an ability to hang onto it, that will continue to be my stance.

I could see Reggie as a Running back. He has the amassing speed and elusiveness. He has experience of catching coming out of the backfield. He is in the mold of Michael Bush with leadership and very talented. He could pass as well as run options. If only Bobby would say let's do it

Originally posted by Pervis_Griffith:

Agree. We certainly have a head coach who is an elite evaluator of QB's so everyone can certainly rest easy with his judgment. That being said, if Reggie is not the starter he is simply too talented of an athlete to sit on the bench.

From my perspective, I see Petrino/McGee developing another dimension to the offense. We all know what he can do with a QB in traditional pro set.

Think about Petrino/McGee developing a dual threat QB. You have the possibility of having a player that can either run or pass given the defense in front of him.

You have the possibility of having an option to trow to a Receiver/QB who can either throw it down field or take off.

Petrino and McGee are working on something. I trust their judgement.

Originally posted by Sec221:
From my perspective, I see Petrino/McGee developing another dimension to the offense. We all know what he can do with a QB in traditional pro set.

Think about Petrino/McGee developing a dual threat QB. You have the possibility of having a player that can either run or pass given the defense in front of him.

You have the possibility of having an option to trow to a Receiver/QB who can either throw it down field or take off.

I think this has been a work-in-progress for Petrino for over a decade. Reportedly, one of the big reasons he took the Atlanta Falcons job, and abruptly left it, was because of Michael Vick. When it became obvious that Vick was not gonna be in the picture, Petrino left as well. And he didn't waste any time!

I didn't follow his quarterback coaching at Arkansas all that much, and I can't explain what did or didn't happen there. But I think a dual-threat QB is the mold of how Petrino now wants to develop that position. It's pretty obvious, if nothing else, from the high school kids he's recruiting. And Bonnafon fits that mold perfectly. That's a fact (when little else is...)

BTW, I like McGee, but I don't think he has a whole lot to do with that decision-making...

Ryan Mallett was his primary QB I believe at ARKY. When transferring in Mallet's mother actually reached out to Oscar Brohm regarding Petrino. Oscar said absolutely he should play for BP. Mallett 6'6" pocket passer w a canon.

Originally posted by zipp:
Originally posted by Sec221:

I think this has been a work-in-progress for Petrino for over a decade. Reportedly, one of the big reasons he took the Atlanta Falcons job, and abruptly left it, was because of Michael Vick. When it became obvious that Vick was not gonna be in the picture, Petrino left as well. And he didn't waste any time!

I didn't follow his quarterback coaching at Arkansas all that much, and I can't explain what did or didn't happen there. But I think a dual-threat QB is the mold of how Petrino now wants to develop that position. It's pretty obvious, if nothing else, from the high school kids he's recruiting. And Bonnafon fits that mold perfectly. That's a fact (when little else is...)

BTW, I like McGee, but I don't think he has a whole lot to do with that decision-making...
My take on McGee is that he understands what Petrino wants and sees that it gets done - the reason for inclusion. I agree with you that not so much decision making.

FWIW, my untrained eye said that Ferguson looked pretty good today (3/31), and Bonnafon not as much so. The wind conditions were really tough out there...

I also wouldn't rule out Will Gardner emerging from this group in fall practice. I understand he is not participating in spring practice and obviously we don't know if he will ever be 100% again but Will was playing very well when he got injured at Boston College. I sure hope he makes it all the way back.

One thing for sure, I feel a lot more optimistic now about our QB's than I did last year at this time. Last year it was "We better hope Will doesn't get hurt".

Originally posted by Louisvillian:
I also wouldn't rule out Will Gardner emerging from this group in fall practice. I understand he is not participating in spring practice and obviously we don't know if he will ever be 100% again but Will was playing very well when he got injured at Boston College. I sure hope he makes it all the way back.

One thing for sure, I feel a lot more optimistic now about our QB's than I did last year at this time. Last year it was "We better hope Will doesn't get hurt".
I'm starting to wonder if he'll stay healthy long enough so we can see what he can really do. Talk about bad luck.

We are in lot better situation in regards to the QB position compared to last year.

I would almost be willing to bet that Ferguson will be the starter come fall. Kid could turn out to be really good. He definitely has all the tools!

There's a QB thread on the premium board today... None of these QBs is consistently standing out in practices. Also keep in mind that hitting the QB in practice is not allowed. That's a huge difference IMO between practice and real games.

I've long believed the adage that if you think you have more than one QB, you probably don't have any. If I were to speculate, the job is Gardner's to lose assuming he comes back.

I hope all of these guys are steadily showing improvement. But I'm not looking for a breakthrough year from any of our guys. The QB job will probably remain a work in progress on opening day...

This post was edited on 4/9 4:23 PM by zipp

Gardner seems like a good kid, but I'm hoping for one of the others to step up! Gardner's too much of a sitting duck due to his lack of mobility!

Didn't make it to this past Saturday's open practice/scrimmage, but word I am hearing from radio (mostly Jody Demling) is that Bonnafon is the clear leader at this point. Not by a huge margin, and it's spring, a lot can change by the first game of the year. But, reports are that Bonnafon is playing the most consistently well, followed by Bolin, then Ferguson (who is wowing people with his arm strength, but is inconsistent on short passes). Reportedly, people consistently attending practices have been very impressed with Reggie's development from last year. I was one who thought he would eventually need to change positions, so I'm hoping I'm proven wrong.

What I think determines who the starting QB is, is what type of offense CBP wants to run. It appears to me that he is moving to more of a spread than pro style offense. What I infer from what I hear him saying in pressers is that Reggie is his preferred choice due to his athleticism and improving passing. I believe if no one separates themself during spring, they may go into fall w/ open competition, but Reggie will utimately be the starter. I am personally a Kyle Bolin fan and hope he continues to get an equal shot at starting.

Reggie's athlieticism and ability to pull the ball down and make positive yards when the pocket breaks down is obvious. Also, the O staff will design/run plays specifically for Reggie to run, but probably won't make the same calls for Bolin or Ferguson.

Originally posted by ULFSUDUKE:
What I think determines who the starting QB is, is what type of offense CBP wants to run. It appears to me that he is moving to more of a spread than pro style offense. What I infer from what I hear him saying in pressers is that Reggie is his preferred choice due to his athleticism and improving passing. I believe if no one separates themself during spring, they may go into fall w/ open competition, but Reggie will utimately be the starter. I am personally a Kyle Bolin fan and hope he continues to get an equal shot at starting.

Reggie's athlieticism and ability to pull the ball down and make positive yards when the pocket breaks down is obvious. Also, the O staff will design/run plays specifically for Reggie to run, but probably won't make the same calls for Bolin or Ferguson.

All you have to do to see where Petrino is headed with the QB position is look at the kids he's recruiting.

While watching Saturday's scrimmage, I was reminded of a couple of scrimmages I watched during Dave Ragone's final year. And my sentiments watching a new, unheralded guy named Stefan Lefors driving the team up and down the field, moving the offense with his feet as much as with his arm. There were times on Saturday when I saw a little bit of Lefors in Bonnafon. Keep in mind that Reggie is coming off his freshman season while Stefan first started as a junior.

I do think that one thing that has been put to bed is that Bonnafon will be changing positions. Just can't see that happening...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT