ADVERTISEMENT

James Quick in the Slot?

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
I don't know %@$% about football I come here and sponge off the guys that actually know something about the sport.

So with that said I think I read somewhere Quick is moving to the slot.

Is that true?

If yes, how do you see this impacting his production?

Hard to believe it feels like just yesterday he signed, but he's headed towards his JR year.

I believe the idea is to hit Quick on the run with a shorter pass and let him gain yards after reception with his open field running capability.

It also forces the "D" to dictate who will be covering him. Typically you will see a LB or Safety on that slot WR. I just think Quick's quickness and speed will just eat up most LB's and when he catches in space it should be fun to watch.

I will never forgive Quick for not scoring against Clemson......He's a goddamn 5 star kid with supposedly exceptional speed......gotta take that to the house.....that was the best road atmosphere I've ever attended though....

the slot receiver is inside the wide receivers and historically run shorter routs like the old 5 yards and cross or out patterns, usually you see this possition run the slant and occational post routs...but, CBP is not going to limit him to historical slot stuff...look for him to be used in an option read run/pass while in motion and I can see him being used in receiver screens effectively...he needs the ball in space and CBP will buid a scheme to allow that to happen.

The move may reflect the strengths of our current WR regarding reading zone D's and their ability to adjust their routs accordingly, just maybe Quick isn't the best at that attribute; or it's a good move for CBP's feed the stud mentality.

my 2 cents.

"...look for him to be used in an option read run/pass while in motion"

You nailed it here wreck. With RB winning the QB battle at this point, that option could be deadly! And really force a defense to stay disciplined on their reads or there will be a lot of BIG plays. And that's best for Quick because that's where he would have the best shot to make it at the next level. I believe if Gardner or Bolin were going to be the QB, you would see Quick still lining up on the outside most of the time like last year. I believe we have some studs this year on offense that you have to get in some space. This is shaping up to be a VERY nice year. If they can somehow win those first three games, this team has a good shot at having a very special season. It's that first game against Auburn that I'm most worried about. But they are replacing a lot. Just wish it was closer up this way. I know UL plays at FSU, but that game is the 6th game so they will be clicking nicely at that point. After that I only see Virginia giving UL a game. And I know CBP will have that one circled after how last years game ended. It's at home as well.

My only hesitancy with this plan is James hasn't exactly shown the world's best hands in catching the ball consistently in his first two seasons. The slot position going across the middle a lot is the place where you absolutely have to have sure hands to avoid tipped and bobbled balls being picked off. Fingers are crossed he continues to make great strides!!!

Schematically it makes the defense commite a Safety or Nickel to cover him. Use a LB at your own risk! That has a not an accidental effect of forcing single coverage on at least one outside receiver. Look, if we can give the QB time, for us to take our chances downfield this year with a deep & talented WR corp.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Slot recievers usually have to make more difficult receptions and take bigger hits. Josh Tinch was a great slot receiver here. I'm not sure Quick is great at anything on the football field.

Quick moved around a lot at Trinity in Coverdales' offense but he was most effective in the slot, in my opinion. He just doesn't have the size to be as effective on the outside. His quickness, along with the mobility of the Trinity line really created some huge matchup problems for defenses. I can remember so many times where Quick got the ball on a slant, and because the Trinity guards had pulled, the holes were huge and Quick would gain huge chunks of yardage, straight up the middle, and often in a goal line situation would walk in untouched. Petrinos' lines in the past were always very athletic and mobile, and this plays to the strength of speedy backs like Quick or the new kid Traveon Samuel.
This is his best shot at improving his numbers and becoming an NFL receiver.

With the WR we bought in I think Quick being in the slot is good thing. I think he is going to have a big year.

Quick moved around a lot at Trinity in Coverdales' offense but he was most effective in the slot, in my opinion. He just doesn't have the size to be as effective on the outside. His quickness, along with the mobility of the Trinity line really created some huge matchup problems for defenses. I can remember so many times where Quick got the ball on a slant, and because the Trinity guards had pulled, the holes were huge and Quick would gain huge chunks of yardage, straight up the middle, and often in a goal line situation would walk in untouched. Petrinos' lines in the past were always very athletic and mobile, and this plays to the strength of speedy backs like Quick or the new kid Traveon Samuel.
This is his best shot at improving his numbers and becoming an NFL receiver.

Chipper, I hope you and the other guys feeling great about this change are right, but I do for a fact know that the guys lighting Quick up after a catch across the middle this year won't be wearing Male or Moore High jerseys!

Chipper, I hope you and the other guys feeling great about this change are right, but I do for a fact know that the guys lighting Quick up after a catch across the middle this year won't be wearing Male or Moore High jerseys!
Trinity hasn't played Moore in 30 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT