ADVERTISEMENT

Jamal Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if "rankings can be way off", why do LPT fans annually get so excited about recruiting classes and preseason polls? Never recall reading an LPT fan post "don't get too excited yet--our ranking might be way off".

Show me that post, courier, if it exists. Or maybe one questioning whether Pitino Lite is gonna show up to coach.

"Elite program", my a$$...

"if "rankings can be way off", why do LPT fans annually get so excited about recruiting classes and preseason polls?"

...because the rankings create the hope that the team is "as advertised" by those rankings. They're obviously not always right, and in the 2 examples I've given you (unranked Florida and the 2012-2013 UK team)....they clearly were inaccurate.

Just took a look at the 2012-2013 team roster.....in hindsight, it's no wonder they struggled like they did. Wiltjer, Noel, Poythress, Goodwin, Harrow, WCS and Mays were the top 7 players. The rest were Hood, Beckham and 4 walk-ons. Their pre-season ranking had a lot more to do with coming off a National Championship rather than the sum of its parts.

jc just give this one up man. No one in their right minds would defend the same position you're taking. #1 ranked class, #3 preseason ranking, 1st team eliminated from the NIT...That is just flat embarrassing and all are way worse in comparison to UofL's preseason expectations, rankings and losing to a team in the 1st round of the NCAA.

You've been overboard on more than one occassion with your blue beer goggles on but this one is just a beaut Clark.

If you watched....it was obvious from the start they didn't want to be there. Jerrod Polson had maybe the best game of his career. Even Cal said it "would have been a shame" if Wiltjer's last second shot went in.

Stupid rationale. If you didn't want to be there, there is a simple solution for that: you decline the invitation. Nobody forced UK to participate in the NIT.

Like I said before....once you're in the NIT....season's over. ....Unless you actually give a crap about winning a 'consolation tournament'.

Like I said before....once you're in the NIT....season's over. ....Unless you actually give a crap about winning a 'consolation tournament'.

I don't disagree with this perception. But if this was the case, why would Coach Calipari subject the program to the embarrassment?

Was he supposed to turn it down? Given the fact that he had a number of freshmen expected back (like WCS and Poythress... and arguably Goodwin) , wouldn't he take advantage of the chance for them to get some more experience?

Was he supposed to turn it down? Given the fact that he had a number of freshmen expected back (like WCS and Poythress... and arguably Goodwin) , wouldn't he take advantage of the chance for them to get some more experience?
Then, the season shouldn't have been "over". At least if your coach can coach.

As always, you're talking outta both sides of your mouth.

And isn't a "great run" something less than the ultimate prize?

Please list the grading standard by which LPT basketball seasons are judged. It's hard to keep track.

What positive "experience" was there to be had if, in your own words, "the season was over", "they didn't want to be there", and "unless you actually want to win a consolation tournament"? What positive could be derived from a team with that negative mindset?

...because the rankings create the hope that the team is "as advertised" by those rankings. They're obviously not always right, and in the 2 examples I've given you (unranked Florida and the 2012-2013 UK team)....they clearly were inaccurate...

Never recall reading an LPT fan post "don't get too excited yet--our ranking might be way off".

Show me that post, courier, if it exists. Or maybe one questioning whether Pitino Lite is gonna show up to coach.
If LPT has such an enlightened fanbase, there oughta be several examples of that quote. Take your time looking because I've never seen it.

"What positive "experience" was there to be had if, in your own words, "the season was over", "they didn't want to be there", and "unless you actually want to win a consolation tournament"? What positive could be derived from a team with that negative mindset?"

...just the extra work, Steelers. There really is no other answer. Anyone that watched that game could see they weren't interested....the commentators said the same thing.

Keep clinging to the one down year UK has had under Cal, Zipp. It's not going to hold up much in comparison to the other 5. As I've said many times.... no other coach besides coach K has had a better past 6 years in college basketball.... but by all means, keep cherry-picking....it's all you know.

Since Pitino Lite arrived at LPT, one title and one NIT with 20+ five-star recruits.

I think there are a number of coaches that can measure up to that standard.

"Elite program" my a$$...

Again, lowering the bar. All you did most of those tourneys was win the games you were favored in.

Good teams like Wisky and Duke are the issue.

...again another classic Zipp shift in the argument. The 'bar' has nothing to do with it.... you point to 1 title and 1 NIT in the past 6 years and conveniently leave out the rest.

[QUOTE="JC for 3, post: 86223, member: 3914...just the extra work, Steelers. There really is no other answer. Anyone that watched that game could see they weren't interested....the commentators said the same thing [/QUOTE]

I'm certainly not debating they didn't want to be there, as a matter of fact, that's my point. If they didn't want to be there for the game, you have to assume they surely didn't want to be there for the "extra work" (practice). And this isn't like football where there is a month of extra work between the regular season and the bowl season. So, maybe they got in a week's worth of extra work, of which they didn't want to be there for anyways. And for the reward of an embarrassing loss? I just think Coach Calipari should have sensed the "the season's over" mentality of his team and declined the invitation. What do you honestly think? Was it a mistake to accept the invitation?

Reactions: shadow force
...again another classic Zipp shift in the argument. The 'bar' has nothing to do with it.... you point to 1 title and 1 NIT in the past 6 years and conveniently leave out the rest.
Not leaving out anything. Nothing remarkable happened in those years, at least by prior LPT standards. Unless that standard (the "bar") has changed.

"What do you honestly think? Was it a mistake to accept the invitation?"

Maybe it was.... but could you imagine the backlash had Cal declined the invite?

"What do you honestly think? Was it a mistake to accept the invitation?"

Maybe it was.... but could you imagine the backlash had Cal declined the invite?

No, no I can't, because coaches do it regularly and from everything I read on the message boards, the fans were ready for the season to be over as well. In other words, I think the fans would have been just fine with that decision,
Anyways...it's all old news and old points.

One NIT bid, one Elite 8, 4 Final four's, one runner up, and one title in 6 years is a pretty good run by anyone's standard.

He could take advantage of this chance only if the players were going to take advantage of it. If they didn't care, and, thus, didn't put effort into playing, then there was no benefit in participating.

But, by your same reasoning, they should have tried to win, so they would get a chance for even more experience.

...and you assume the players are going to openly say that to their coach? Everyone that watched that game could see it.

25 Years Ago

How many Final Fours has UofL been to since 1990? 3.
How many Championships has UofL won since 1990? 1

How many Final Fours has UK been to since 1990? 8
How many Championships has UK won since 1990? 3.

See the difference?

When you're on the winning side of the argument, there's no need to cherry pick timeframes, but I like what you've done there...

Reactions: blubo
...and you assume the players are going to openly say that to their coach? Everyone that watched that game could see it.

If the players weren't being honest with their coach about their motivation and their willingness to put effort in games, then they had an even bigger problem.

One NIT bid, one Elite 8, 4 Final four's, one runner up, and one title in 6 years is a pretty good run by anyone's standard.
This from the guy who thinks Jurich is responsible for Petrino's huge contract buyout.

I'm not sure the courier isn't a better source of factual information. (No, that's not a sincere compliment.)

The biggest issue is that Pitino Lite didn't wanna be there. He had the "biggest nite in LPT basketball history" on his calendar.

That team did have problems. Harrow left multiple times, Goodwin was always playing out of control, trying to do too much... Chemistry issues were there, no question.

Who was in charge of approving the contract Petrino signed? You think Petrino wouldn't have signed it if the buyout wasn't in it.....Yeah right.

Anyway, nice deflection Zipp, I'd say just about anyone would be thrilled with that outcome after 6 years.

Who was in charge of approving the contract Petrino signed? You think Petrino wouldn't have signed it if the buyout wasn't in it.....Yeah right...
You tell me, LPT Bill, since you know this stuff. All I know is that BOTH guys said Petrino wanted it in there. But why let facts get in the way of your agenda?

Anyway, nice deflection Zipp, I'd say just about anyone would be thrilled with that outcome after 6 years.
I wasn't attempting a hijack. The mods deleted a thread I had posted that was dedicated to you and this very topic--how little you really know about U of L, but how much you'll speculate regardless. Kinda kills your credibility, which you don't care about IIRC.

The Final Four garbage is just LPT rationalization of failure. You're winning games you should win, and losing the tough games. Consistently, and with 5-star players up and down your roster. Are those accomplishments?

"You're winning games you should win, and losing the tough games."

Wow....pure gold there, Zipp. I guess uofl doesn't qualify for those "tough" games.... I guess teams like Wich St., Michigan, Wisconsin...you know, those teams UK beat as an EIGHT seed...those don't qualify either?

"You're winning games you should win, and losing the tough games."

Wow....pure gold there, Zipp. I guess uofl doesn't qualify for those "tough" games.... I guess teams like Wich St., Michigan, Wisconsin...you know, those teams UK beat as an EIGHT seed...those don't qualify either?

Pretty much. I'm not sure what a tough game is by Zipp's standards. Games that Louisville would lose but Kentucky wins, often don't count as tough games to him. Not sure where he's getting at.

Last edited by a moderator:
You tell me, LPT Bill, since you know this stuff. All I know is that BOTH guys said Petrino wanted it in there. But why let facts get in the way of your agenda?

I wasn't attempting a hijack. The mods deleted a thread I had posted that was dedicated to you and this very topic--how little you really know about U of L, but how much you'll speculate regardless. Kinda kills your credibility, which you don't care about IIRC.

The Final Four garbage is just LPT rationalization of failure. You're winning games you should win, and losing the tough games. Consistently, and with 5-star players up and down your roster. Are those accomplishments?

"Elite program", my a$$...[/QUOTE

I saw the thread and posted in it. We're on a message board, it's all speculation. Hell, 90% of your posts are speculation of UK, you're speculating in this thread that somehow Calipari is not up to par at UK, it's unbelievable.

So you think everything a public person says to the media is 100% to the tee honesty?

Final fours are now failure, good lord.

As for my "agenda", apparently I have more respect for Jurichs intelligence than you do. He rehired a coach that left Louisville right after signing a big contract and interviewed at least two other times. He then snuck out of Atlanta, and the mess he left at Arkansas, and then left western after one year.
And you seriously think Jurich didn't want a buyout.

Last edited:
Reactions: blubo
It's long been my experience that LPT fans lose context and perspective easily...

You don't fire Pitino Lite for barely making the Final Four with 8-9 five-star guys. But you sure as hell don't list that on his coaching resume. LPT was the #1 overall seed and set up to easily make the Final Four. Barely getting there was hardly a great accomplishment.

And the year before, losing control of 7-8 five-star guys during the regular season so badly that they surprised the hell outta everyone making a deep tourney run doesn't qualify either. Your in-game coach should have never been in that situation.

Simply put, the talent you've recruited is way too high to just win easy games, eke out others, and/or rise from ashes that you should have never been in. Unless you're lowering the LPT bar and now talking about "great runs".

The one year that LPT has won it, you had a franchise player. And AD ain't walkin' through that door.

So what are you saying, that UK should never lose a game?
The only one setting the bar to be championship or the season is a failure is you.
Exactly to whom was the season a failure too? It wasn't to UK fans, it was a disappointment to get that far undefeated and not win it all, but it wasn't a failure of a season.
You're the only one expecting perfection, and it's simply out of pettiness because that's literally all you can find to try and get under people's skin.
You do realize that you're saying getting to the final four is failure. Is that at every school or just UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT