ADVERTISEMENT

Is This A Repeat Of Last Season?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
With Ellis gone, UofL needs some good guards more than ever. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but it just feels like a repeat of last off season where Payne went after a few big names in the portal, totally whiffed, left scrambling with no back up plan, and Cards were left with one guard.

• Haha
Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
The results may prove you right but today it's too soon to tell. My hope is we whiffed last year because of the threat of a post-season ban.

It is still early but managing the portal/roster is a nightmare. You better have option 1-2-3-4-5 ready to go.

I really think selling elite guys or someone that has started for 1-3 years to play back up roles is a really tough sell. With the amount of roster movement going on players are looking to start not play supporting roles. NIL is one thing but if they want to start and are told they have to compete for time good luck. They will find NIL and starting time somewhere.

You can tell they want another ball handling guard but they may need go down the food chain to find one.

The results may prove you right but today it's too soon to tell. My hope is we whiffed last year because of the threat of a post-season ban.
To be clear, I want Payne to succeed here and constructing a complete team is the first step. There is still time so I hope he does that.

I think it is absolutely a carbon copy repeat of last year, swing for the fence and then have a seat. I'm not as impressed with Skyy as many seem to be, and I think getting and other difference making guards out of the portal seems unlikely. Evans and Flowers may turn out to be great players, but not likely in 23-24. Add to that Kenny's coaching acumen and we're in for another sad year, along with a built-in excuse for why he deserves year three.

I think we'll know the answer in a month or so. He's got 3 open spots he'll need to fill at least 1 with a G that should play heavy minutes. I for sure understand the concern and I am not optimistic about Louisville basketball at all these days but he'll have no excuse there are a ton of competent guards in the portal available.

I would add 1 PG, 1 combo guard, and 1 stretch 4 to fill out the roster. But I know nothing.

Bottom line is that he’s got this off-season and next regular season to figure things out. Whatever happens I hope that the answer is clear. Obviously the most desirable outcome is that he proves to be the right person for the top job.

Reactions: shadow force
I do not think this is going to be repeat of last season in terms of guards. I agree that KP needs to bring in at least 1 more guard.

I think Clark is going to play well next season alongside Flowers - who I think will truly play the 3 and sometimes maybe the 2 (the wing) with whoever else they pick-up on the wing.

Clark can ball for those questioning. Will leave this here - https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospe...rk#gid=ci02b1f8c2b0002605&pid=usatsi_19460911

I do not think this is going to be repeat of last season in terms of guards. I agree that KP needs to bring in at least 1 more guard.

I think Clark is going to play well next season alongside Flowers - who I think will truly play the 3 and sometimes maybe the 2 (the wing) with whoever else they pick-up on the wing.

Clark can ball for those questioning. Will leave this here - https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospe...rk#gid=ci02b1f8c2b0002605&pid=usatsi_19460911
A freshman 6'8" guard that lacks strength?? He hasn't played a rigorous schedule against strong, older men.

A freshman 6'8" guard that lacks strength?? He hasn't played a rigorous schedule against strong, older men.
Flowers and the coaches are calling him a guard, but he looks like a 3 to me. 2 or 3 not that big of a deal in my opinion. Flowers is athletic. What he lacks in strengths he makes up for with his athleticism. Flowers will have to adjust to the college game and put on some muscle just like many other Freshmen. We will see how or if he can separate himself.

I think we have all seen many Freshmen flourish and play solid college basketball against stronger "men." Will he be ready out of the gate? How long does it take him to adjust? Questions to be answered soon.

There is still some time and players available. However with all these other schools snatching up players, especially guards, left and right it does make me a bit concerned that he will come up short in the portal once again.

Hope he finishes this class up well.

my understanding is that players can still be signed after the portal closes. so KP has more time than May 11. it's just that players can't put their names in the transfer portal after May 11.

otherwise guys that are ranked low in the transfer portal would be without a school if the date were May 11.

my understanding is that players can still be signed after the portal closes. so KP has more time than May 11. it's just that players can't put their names in the transfer portal after May 11.

otherwise guys that are ranked low in the transfer portal would be without a school if the date were May 11.
That's good. Thanks for the clarification. Will edit my previous post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT