ADVERTISEMENT

Is that John Calipari .......................Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
12489712-mmmain.jpg

New Orleans Pelicans owner Tom Benson and his wife, Gayle, left, with Kentucky basketball head coach John Calipari and Saints head coach Sean Payton and friend during Pelicans game against the Golden State Warriors in the Smoothie King Center New Orleans. (Photo by David Grunfeld, Nola.com |The Times-Picayune)

Shouldn't he have been out recruiting back during this time, maybe this why uk missed out on so many top recruits.....it just wasn't that important to him anymore. I wonder why? Hhmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
I see where you are going with this. Sure it is him, but being at a Pelicans game means nothing. After all the cleveland rumors he even signed an extension. Cal being at nba games is normal, with or without a coach. He always goes and watches his former players, it's kind of a pr move more than anything since the kids he recruit want more than anything to play in the nba. Seeing him there front and center these kids see he has connections, hence the reason a lot of guys want to play for him.

Might just be me, but the funniest thing about that caption is "...Sean Payton and FRIEND". Didn't even bother getting "her" name.

I see where you are going with this. Sure it is him, but being at a Pelicans game means nothing. After all the cleveland rumors he even signed an extension. Cal being at nba games is normal, with or without a coach. He always goes and watches his former players, it's kind of a pr move more than anything since the kids he recruit want more than anything to play in the nba. Seeing him there front and center these kids see he has connections, hence the reason a lot of guys want to play for him.

Signing that contract extension means jack shit nothing. However, I agree he was just there to see Davis and Evans play.

Love that Cat fans are so paranoid and scared of losing Cal that they are creating accounts to come to our board and defend what is obvious to everyone outside Lexington.

Card fans: "Cal's just not a good coach."

Same card fans: "Uh-oh, UK fans....he might be NBA bound!!"

...irony and contradiction at the same time.

Reactions: ClockCalamity

Hahaha, that gave me a good chuckle... but you don't need to be a good coach to go pro, although it certainly helps. With that said, I think he is a good coach (not the best Xs and Os guy, but not incompetent either) his greatest strength is managing talent/egos and getting teams to work together; which is harder than it may seem. I also doubt he'll go anywhere for several more years... but if he does, good luck to him.

"JCfor3, holy crap, man...where have you been? Haven't seen your name around here in ages."

.....lockdown was lifted when the board change occurred.

You guys are just hoping and praying he leaves just so maybe you win a game. Haha funny tard fans!

*** See ya. Tard is an automatic permaban.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pitino Lite is messing over LPT no matter how this turns out. OAD guys have figured out that there are other places to spend a year.

Now, if you need 2+ years, you don't know whether the guy's gonna be around or not.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Reactions: pervisl
Cleveland supposedly called last year. Again....the wishful thinking here is hilarious. As if UK's success totally hinges on the coach.... 4 coaches have won titles at UK.

Cleveland supposedly called last year. Again....the wishful thinking here is hilarious. As if UK's success totally hinges on the coach.... 4 coaches have won titles at UK.
One of them coaches at Louisville and IS happy here.

....I guess you're trying to say that Rick wasn't happy at UK? I guess you were asleep during all of his lament over "leaving Camelot" and going to the NBA and if he had a chance at doing it over, he wouldn't have left?

....I guess you're trying to say that Rick wasn't happy at UK? I guess you were asleep during all of his lament over "leaving Camelot" and going to the NBA and if he had a chance at doing it over, he wouldn't have left?

And yet...he walked right out that door. Guys say a lot of things to mend fences once they are gone, and fans believe what they want to believe.

...70 million dollars and a ton of control with the Celtics made that happen, not some notion of being 'unhappy' at UK.

Meaning he felt he could be "happier" somewhere else. It's nothing new; happens all the time, everywhere, even at UK. And AS they leave, it's always "the toughest decision they've ever had to make". And looking back, they all "should have appreciated what they had" more. It's called coach speak; they all do it.

The first statement is how some UofL fans feel about and view the coach.

The second statement is in regards to how some UofL fans feel about and view some UK fans instability.

There is no irony and/or contradiction because the statements aren't measuring the same topic and aren't related. Each statement/opinion stands alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneEarWonder
Funny thing is, if you guys get your wish and he does leave, UK will still be UK. 4 coaches have won titles there. The program is still bigger than the coach.

Funny thing is, if you guys get your wish and he does leave, UK will still be UK. 4 coaches have won titles there. The program is still bigger than the coach.
ROTFLMAO !! If you really believe that then you're the blue hole of the year !! O

Rupp, Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Smith, Gillespie, Calipari at UK in the same time that Louisville had Crum, Pitino. So your comment "4 coaches have won titles at UK" while factual is disingenuous at best. I could point out the only 3 of your coaches in the last 85 years have won championships or that every coach at Louisville at Louisville for the last 44 years has won a championship.

I stand corrected....5 coaches have won titles at UK. No other program has done this. If/when Cal leaves, someone else can carry that torch.

Or, somebody else could be the next Billy G or Eddie Sutton. Even one of the guys that actually won a title got ran out of town. Carrying the torch is not always a given. Also, there is no if, Cal will eventually leave.

"Or, somebody else could be the next Billy G or Eddie Sutton" ...of course you'd be wishing for that to happen. Highly doubtful a mistake like that is ever made again.

"Or, somebody else could be the next Billy G or Eddie Sutton" ...of course you'd be wishing for that to happen. Highly doubtful a mistake like that is ever made again.

It happened twice in under 20 years; it absolutely could happen again. Just like we hired Steve Kragthorpe years after the Ron Cooper debacle. UK is no more immune to bad hires than anybody else.

My point is, it won't be another hiring of someone without a long, proven track record. Mitch took a chance with a new "hot commodity" like BCG was at the time and got burned. He won't be making that mistake again.

I never said I'm wishing that to happen please don't put words into my posts that aren't there.

As Steelers stated bad hires happen. UNC had Doherty. Alabama football had Shula.

UK has had Hall, Sutton, Pitino, Smith, G, and Calipari in the modern era. I'm not ignorning the success but half the hires were shown the door more or less. 33% were complete embarassments.

Coaches that have had a lot of success aren't easy to replace.

My point is, it won't be another hiring of someone without a long, proven track record. Mitch took a chance with a new "hot commodity" like BCG was at the time and got burned. He won't be making that mistake again.

Eddie Sutton had a great track record, how that work out? Don't pretend like Gilliespie was the first choice, he wasn't. The UK job isn't for everybody, you really can't say today that you "know" who is coming next and how it will go. Who is the next coach - nobody knows... probably because we don't know when the job is open or who will be the top candidates at that time.

The same applies to all top programs - yeah they figure to remain a top program or return to that position but it's not a given "the next" hire is going to get it done.

The pattern is still the same....5 different coaches have won titles at UK. The program will always be bigger than the coach.

The pattern is still the same....5 different coaches have won titles at UK. The program will always be bigger than the coach.

There a pattern of coaches getting run out of town.

See - I can do just what you do. I can tell part of a story and be correct.

Sutton and Billy G, sure.....they had to go. Tubby started working with an agent to find a new gig on his own before he ever left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT