ADVERTISEMENT

I don't understand all the Jaylen Johnson love.....

Jan 5, 2012
I mean.....this kid did a couple nice things In a handful of games......and people are talking him up like Karl Malone.........

Did he do amazing things in practice or something?

Originally posted by HerbCrookforPrez:
I mean.....this kid did a couple nice things In a handful of games......and people are talking him up like Karl Malone.........

Did he do amazing things in practice or something?
While it's true that Johnson didn't do much of anything this past season, it's also true that he never really got a chance and failed like Aaron and Gill did. For the first 30 games he barely saw the court, but those last six games or so when he did play, he did some things that had many Cards fans saying why isn't he playing more. He didn't look out of sorts when he did get minutes unlike Aaron who I held my breath every time he had the ball.

None of us know what we're going to see next season with Johnson. I think we all agree he won't be like Akoy Agau but he could be another Terrence Jennings. Of course we're hoping he's more like 'Trez. One thing is for sure, Pitino will be relying on him at Power forward. Looks like the rookie Spalding is another project recruited because of potential. Pitino doesn't have another PF to go to unless Mangok plays that position and that is really something that isn't going to please the fans.

He played behind Montrezl Harrell.... lol. Not many of freshman would have played that backed Trez up.

Jaylen has a knack for the ball and things happened when he was on the court. I don't think anyone sees Karl Malone when mentioning Johnson. One thing was for certain, the kid did not hurt us in any way when he was on the court. Pitino is huge on Johnson and so are most of the people in the know. If you don't understand the Jaylen Johnson love then thats on you. Like most, I certainly see it and am very excited for his future.

I share some of the OP's sentiments. Because he's the best guy we have left from a recruiting class doesn't make him a great player. If he was that good, he would have had some reasonable PT this year.

I don't throw in the towel on a guy because he hasn't performed as a freshman, nor am I going to anoint him the Second Coming based on no more than JJ has shown.

As fans, we tend to gravitate to extremes, and neither is correct. Fine to be optimistic. But when it turns into expectations that, when unfulfilled, lead to disappointment, you're taking this stuff too seriously and overreacting. That's the basis for half the stuff we debate on here...

2 things to remember: Got a late start and he's a freshman in Pitino's system. He showed glimpses of potential under the circumstances.

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:
There haven't been any threads around here talking him up like he's Karl Malone.
Exactly my thoughts. I check this board often, and no one has been touting Jaylen as the next Karl Malone....

I think people are pretty hopeful Jaylen will have a good sophomore year and that's about it. One of the main reasons for that is that when he actually did get some run in a game he showed some flashes of talent. Now whether he will be able to produce consistently in a larger role has yet to be seen, but seeing some positive things from his very limited minutes as a freshman is better than seeing nothing positive at all.

I feel like, if was as good as Rick talked him up to be, Trez wouldn't have played 40 minutes a game damn near every game.

But I did like what I saw when he was in. He seemed to be a natural at offensive put backs.

We'll see...

Originally posted by shadow force:

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:
There haven't been any threads around here talking him up like he's Karl Malone.

Exactly my thoughts. I check this board often, and no one has been touting Jaylen as the next Karl Malone....

I think people are pretty hopeful Jaylen will have a good sophomore year and that's about it. One of the main reasons for that is that when he actually did get some run in a game he showed some flashes of talent. Now whether he will be able to produce consistently in a larger role has yet to be seen, but seeing some positive things from his very limited minutes as a freshman is better than seeing nothing positive at all.
I'm Steelers2012 and I approve these posts.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The OP didn't say the source of the "love". I've heard plenty of people since the end of the season talk up the guy. Not Karl Malone good, but a lot better than he is today.

I hope it proves out, but at this point it is mostly unproven. We all want the kid and the team to be successful...

Maybe on a call-in show, or a different Louisville message board, or somewhere else completely - but not here.

This board has been full of anti- UK schtick, recruiting (or lack of), and concern about next season.

There has been little to no talk of optimism for our next team, and most certainly very little boosting of any returning players.

More than likely we'll see an uneven So. season out of Johnson. There will be games where he rebounds well, hits a high% of his shots, and plays good defense. There will be other games where he battles foul trouble, and doesn't make an impact. He figures to be a part of a rotation at the position with Mahmoud.

The only real talk about the kid has been hopeful at best, but nothing like the picture Herb or Zipp are painting here.

I mean literally NOBODY is talking about him.

Link the threads I could be wrong.

There's nearly 50 threads on the front page and not one has Jaylen Johnson in a subject line.

Nobody around here is talking about the guy other than in this thread.

Maybe the point is it's being discussed locally or other places. The guy figures to see a spike in playing time, that's about all anybody really knows.

Compare his brief court stints to the PF Agau who just transferred and it appears Johnson was a better basketball player. It appeared Agau couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. His hands weren't great, he seemed kind of invisible out there, and he never made any plays.

Johnson OTOH made a few stick backs, got a few offensive rebounds, and played with a little bit of confidence.

But, it's nearly impossible to calculate how a player is going to do going from a couple minutes per game to potentially 20-30 mpg.

Considering the lack of offensive capability of our bigs last season, I am surprised that CRP didn't find some way to get JJ time as a 5 instead sitting the pine behind Trez. In last years Derby Classic JJ showed an ability the run with the ball and shoot inside or out. Ornaku (sp?) looked just like he did this year but was heavier. He trimmed down well in the off season but his offensive skills were not much improved. That is why fans have hope with JJ if simply because he appears better in comparison with what we have coming back. He is not Karl Malone, but hopefully he will hold his own.

That (sports talk radio) is probably right...

When you hear an optimist talking about next year's basketball team, 9 times out of 10 it's couched in optimism about Johnson.

I'm not complaining about it...I just hope it's well founded...

No podcast posted (yet), but heard Jerry Eaves and "Handsome Jimmy" on Jerry's Friday show talking about JJ. Quite a bit of love at around 10-15 minutes before 1 PM.

If a podcast gets posted, I'll link it. I'm also monitoring the airwaves for other examples...

And I hate to reference TOS, but there's an active JJ thread on Scout with nothing BUT love...

I think much like our centers,JJ will move forward.Whether or not all those big guys can play at a very high ACC level will be seen.They will have to,but if the guards and wings are the best offensive players,don't look for a ton of points from those positions,just solid play.

When did being excited that a player will get better become a bad thing? I think Johnson will have the biggest leap from his last season to next season of anyone. He started to show flashes in the limited time he got last year. I'm not saying he will be Trez but I do think he will become a contributor next year.

Originally posted by gocards1987:
When did being excited that a player will get better become a bad thing? I think Johnson will have the biggest leap from his last season to next season of anyone...Being excited or optimistic is fine. The OP's point--which I agree with--is that the guy did very little this year to ground that optimisim.

(Which, for the record, is now appearing on this message board in the "breakout season" thread...)

And when I say "fine", that's with the assumption that optimism doesn't quickly turn into unfounded expectations. That's not fine--anything that leads to irrational disappointment and frustration.

I HOPE that JJ (or someone else) tears it up next year. But that's not what I'm expecting...

What a strange thread that mysteriously keeps going but here I am posting on it again.

So you guys don't see the hype...? OK, let it go. Most fans see it, or seen the flashes. Not sure what the concern is.

Originally posted by REDWAVEALERT:
What a strange thread that mysteriously keeps going...Maybe that's because for me, this thread highlights a fundamental issue among our fans and probably other fanbases. We too often turn optimism into expectations. And a chosen few of us turn unfulfilled expectations into b!tching and moaning as some kind of relief. So, the rest of us have to endure the fallout from what started out as your unfounded optimism. (I use "you" in a rhetorical sense, not you personally...)

For the few people I've personally witnessed and whom I'm talking about, it's probably best to nip optimism in the bud. Best for people who can't deal with disappointment to simply expect the worst and be surprised on the upside. At least it would minimize the b!tching and whining. But please, if you plan to try this, also try NOT to b!tch about how low your expectations are as if that's some kind of indictment of a U of L team or coach. Just carry that cross silently. Remember, this is your coping mechanism...
This post was edited on 4/20 2:30 PM by zipp

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT