ADVERTISEMENT

Here's your chance to give input on a new AD

vivid_red

Two-Star Poster
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville
UofL faculty, students, staff, alumni and friends,

As part of the University of Louisville’s athletic director search process, we are conducting a listening tour to give each of you an opportunity to ask questions and to tell us what you would like to see in our next athletics leader.

The Athletic Director Search Planning Group will host open forums for faculty, staff, students, alumni and the community at large at the following dates and times:
  • April 6, Noon-1:30 p.m.
    • Audience: Belknap Faculty
    • Can’t join in person? Join us online.

• April 7, Noon-1:30 p.m.
    • Audience: HSC Faculty

• April 8, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
    • Audience: Louisville Community

• April 14, 6:00-7:30 p.m.
    • Audience: Alumni

• April 15, Noon-1:30 p.m.
    • Audience: Students

• April 18, Noon-1:30 p.m.
    • Audience: Belknap Staff
    • Can’t join in person? Joins us online.

• April 20, Noon-1:30 p.m.
    • Audience: HSC Staff

Light lunches will be served at the noon sessions, with refreshments available for the evening events.

Additional sessions will be held with student athletes, coaches, athletics alumni and athletics staff.

We hope you can join us in person, but should you need to join virtually, click the links above to register. If you cannot participate in the discussion, please use this online form to provide your feedback.

To ensure as much participation as possible, we will allow five to seven minutes per topic. To get the conversation started, we’ve attached a few questions for your consideration.

These are very important meetings. The Advisory Group will use feedback from all these sessions to create a leadership statement/job description for the athletic director position and to inform decisions made during the search process.

We hope you will join us for one of the open forums, and we look forward to receiving your questions and comments.

Sincerely,

Lori Stewart Gonzalez
Interim President

Time to stop chirping on the message board and get involved

Here are the suggested questions to get the conversation started

Questions for AD Search Listening Tours:
1. What are the perceived major challenges and opportunities the next Athletic Director will
inherit? Both immediately and long-term?
2. What personal attributes, competencies, and skills should the next Athletic Director possess to
be successful and best serve the diverse community that works, learns, and plays here?
3. What professional background/experiences are required for our new AD to succeed at the
highest level?
4. What would you say to a hesitant/reluctant candidate to get this person to enter the applicant
pool?
5. When you think of UofL Athletics, what themes most powerfully express our identity aside from
current issues and concerns?
6. What should be the immediate and long-term priorities of the next Athletic Director?
7. What should an incoming Athletic Director know about UofL faculty, staff, students, and how
they interact?
8. Describe your ideal Athletic Director.
9. Is there a question we should have asked that we did not ask?

Time to stop chirping on the message board and get involved

Here are the suggested questions to get the conversation started

Questions for AD Search Listening Tours:
1. What are the perceived major challenges and opportunities the next Athletic Director will
inherit? Both immediately and long-term?
2. What personal attributes, competencies, and skills should the next Athletic Director possess to
be successful and best serve the diverse community that works, learns, and plays here?
3. What professional background/experiences are required for our new AD to succeed at the
highest level?
4. What would you say to a hesitant/reluctant candidate to get this person to enter the applicant
pool?
5. When you think of UofL Athletics, what themes most powerfully express our identity aside from
current issues and concerns?
6. What should be the immediate and long-term priorities of the next Athletic Director?
7. What should an incoming Athletic Director know about UofL faculty, staff, students, and how
they interact?
8. Describe your ideal Athletic Director.
9. Is there a question we should have asked that we did not ask?
What makes anyone on this
Message board qualified to make an unbiased rationale decision when they don’t know the credentials of potential candidates? All they know is what we had in the past and what we have now. Not a fair assessment.

Reactions: rh62531
What makes anyone on this
Message board qualified to make an unbiased rationale decision when they don’t know the credentials of potential candidates? All they know is what we had in the past and what we have now. Not a fair assessment.
The simple answer is - that no one here is qualified. Not that there couldn't be someone (or any fan) that has the requisite intelligence and experience to weigh in on a hire of this type but as you have correctly pointed out - no one here has the information or criteria necessary to make an informed opinion.

No one is being forced to participate, it is simply an invitation to attend an open forum discussion on the new AD search. Maybe some people would like to attend and listen. You can do that in person or online. To say that no one is qualified to make a suggestion or ask a question is shortsighted. I view this like a Kaizen event. I have been involved in several and you would be surprised where good ideas come from. I find it generous of the university to reach out and make the offer. But by all means, attend or don't that is your choice.

No one is being forced to participate, it is simply an invitation to attend an open forum discussion on the new AD search. Maybe some people would like to attend and listen. You can do that in person or online. To say that no one is qualified to make a suggestion or ask a question is shortsighted. I view this like a Kaizen event. I have been involved in several and you would be surprised where good ideas come from. I find it generous of the university to reach out and make the offer. But by all means, attend or don't that is your choice.
Understood - just feels like a PR move by the university that is more about making people feel good, than a sincere interest in getting ideas and input.

But hey - I’m cynical…

Reactions: nccardfan
Understood - just feels like a PR move by the university that is more about making people feel good, than a sincere interest in getting ideas and input.

But hey - I’m cynical…

I’m probably just cynical to. This sounds like a waste of time to me. I felt like the hiring committee was a very impressive group - they should be able to handle the discernment and hiring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT