ADVERTISEMENT

"He Said I Needed To Play Harder And I Think All My Hard Work Is Going To Pay Off"- Onuaku

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Chinanu Onuaku began the offseason working on his own before school ended and then spent time at home in Lanham, Md., working out daily with his brother, former Syracuse and current Minnesota Timberwolves player, Arinze Onuaku.

Onuaku said that "really helped" his game and then he returned to Louisville to start workouts with his team, including many of the new additions to the Cardinals' roster.

The 6-foot-10 sophomore said he feels like his game has "really improved a lot," and last week it showed.

Onuaku was invited to tryout for the U-19 USA team that will play this summer in the FIBA World Championships and not only did he make the 12-man team but a source close to the team told Cardinal Authority he was "one of the most impressive players" at tryouts.

"It's a big thing for me," Onuaku told Cardinal Authority on Thursday night. "I've been working hard and I think this is a good start. I'm really excited to be able to play and show what I can do."

Onuaku said he was competitive every time he walked onto the floor and his new attitude of "going hard all the time," is what U of L coach Rick Pitino told him would not only land him on the team but help him next season with the Cardinals.

"He said I needed to play harder and I think all my hard work is going to pay off," Onuaku said. "I'm going to have to do a lot more next year because we have a different team. It should be fun."

Pitino said recently that Onuaku "is in much better shape," than he was all of last season and that would help his game also progress. He's expected to battle Mangok Mathiang for the starting center position for the Cardinals.

"I've learned a lot," Onuaku said. "Last year really helped me a lot and I think I've gotten a lot better."

We have seen Rick turn guys with less into something.

The kid is so big. It does seem he's opinionated, so this may or may not work against him. He got off to a real nice start last year, if you go check the scores, but things went south.

He has a golden opportunity. He's just a So. playing for a top program and he's got some things going for him.

I'm not expecting miracles here but there is potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT