ADVERTISEMENT

? For Cat Fans

GrumpyOldDawg definitely has an axe to grind on Grantham. He peddled all his feelings here when we hired Grantham. He quit showing up throughout the season when the defense was playing very well. But then he DID pop in after the UofL vs UGA bowl game.

Lost respect for him when he vanished while our D was performing @ an admirable level only to return after they crushed us. Very petty stuff.

o_Oo_O

Our (UK's) secondary is TERRIBLE. Probably our weakest unit on offense or defense. Not sure where you're getting that.

The secondary as a whole wasn't terrible our corners were. I think McClain, Randolph, and Stamps are the three best DBs in that game. We've moved Randolph to corner to help where we've been very bad. Quinn got murdered by Parker last year and if he doesn't come a long way in the offseason he'll be coming off the bench. The RS comes off of two 4 stars in West and Edwards who have looked good in the Spring. The Cats finished 3rd in the SEC in interceptions and bring everyone back

When it comes to UL I won't claim to be well versed on their secondary. I think Harvey Clemons could be an elite OLB but I'm not sure yet how good he'll be in coverage. Wiggins has a broken arm right? Missed the spring and some of summer? After those two (I think most expect them to play a big part in the secondary) I don't know anyone else so I guess I'm assuming they will be new parts. Maybe Steelers or someone could fill me in there

Last edited:
I said UL has the better front seven in my post.. I wouldn't wholesale trade defenses because I do like our secondary more. Our corners have been lacking but with all of the depth we've built at safety and nickel we've moved guys that've played very well in the middle to the outside. I think that's going to make a pretty big difference and should help the defensive line
My guess is that U of L will probably start TWO 2016 NFL draft picks in their secondary this year.

If an LPT fan wants to point out their two draft picks, we should continue this discussion. Otherwise...

LPT Football: Our draft picks are in that other sport.

My guess is that U of L will probably start TWO 2016 NFL draft picks in their secondary this year.

If an LPT fan wants to point out their two draft picks, we should continue this discussion. Otherwise...

UK won't have two 2016 draft picks in their secondary next season because most of the talent with the most potential is still fairly young, but Stamps will be drafted in the 2016 draft. I would also say that West, Edwards, Randolph, Walker, and McWilson all have good chances of being drafted in the next couple of years.

I know many doubt Stoops ability as a HC(and rightfully so), but he has proven his ability as a DB coach and DC to evaluate players in the secondary , develop them, and get them drafted. Some of his players drafted the highest have been 3 star guys out of high school.

Name your two it doesn't look like you actually pointed out any draft picks

Name your two it doesn't look like you actually pointed out any draft picks
Harvey-Clemons for sure. My guess is between Shaq Wiggins, Jermaine Reve, and Chucky Williams, you'll have a second.

And before we hear "yeah right", remember at this time last year, no one would have predicted that Sample or Holliman would have jumped. U of L produces NFL draft picks, and kids come here knowing that.

LPT Football: We know how that feels in basketball....

Last edited:
Reactions: mwatson61
UK won't have two 2016 draft picks in their secondary next season because most of the talent with the most potential is still fairly young, but Stamps will be drafted in the 2016 draft. I would also say that West, Edwards, Randolph, Walker, and McWilson all have good chances of being drafted in the next couple of years.

I know many doubt Stoops ability as a HC(and rightfully so), but he has proven his ability as a DB coach and DC to evaluate players in the secondary , develop them, and get them drafted. Some of his players drafted the highest have been 3 star guys out of high school.
Based on what, stars from a message board coming out of High School? It amazes me how many Big Blue fans have bought into the star system and even though Stoops has had some success in getting them to campus, none of these kids have proven anything at the college level yet.

Based on what, stars from a message board coming out of High School? It amazes me how many Big Blue fans have bought into the star system and even though Stoops has had some success in getting them to campus, none of these kids have proven anything at the college level yet.

If you went by the "Star" Ratings Eli Rogers and Gerod Holliman would have been a 1st Round Pick not DeVante Parker and Calvin Pryor.

Ever since Mizzou joined the SEC they've counted them as a win. . . not sure why. They haven't come remotely close yet.

I'm sure its not the "normal" uk fans. Most of the ones i know love to crow about the bball team, and they have a reason to. But, they will also readily admit that their football team is just a few steps removed from Div 2. I think you guys are mistaking the average uk fan with those who spout off in the litterbox.

I think most of them just don't see Mizzou as a traditional football powerhouse (and really they haven't been). But they have been a very solid club for the past couple of years. It also helps that the SEC East hasn't been as good as it usually is. Pinkel has proven that he can coach up enough talent to win games. I have yet to see anyone at uk do that.

I suppose the jury is still out on Stoops. He does have the advantage of playing a staggering 8 home games this year. I think if he doesn't win 6 games this year, the honeymoon may well be over and he might start feeling the heat. Especially if he drops one to a team like Louisiana Lafayette, or Charlotte.

It's funny to me how UK fans gloss over the 6-game season ending losing streak and go right into next year's big Bowl aspirations. You really can't discount the damage done. Stoops needed to make a bowl LAST YEAR and didn't.

And the results? I don't follow recruiting closely but I do remember reading about Damien Harris going to Alabama, and some other recruits UK signed that they lost. It's easy for a UK fan to just shake it off and say "we do that every year!" but I suspect the lost recruits were the result of the season ending demolition and no Bowl.

In the final analysis, UofL's win in the last game of the year seriously set Stoops' program back. It was a devastating loss with big implications to recruiting. Instead of having a banner recruiting class they settled for near the bottom of the SEC.

Fair or not, Stoops is up against the wall coming into this season. It's Bowl or Bust. Bust means Stoops hangs around for another 3-4 years but he's basically Bill Curry style done.

Are you the same idiot from Cat's Illustrated who claimed your defense has 15 NFL prospects on it?

UofL wins this game by ten and we won't have to start a pre-game melee to do it. Just remember that.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

And the results? I don't follow recruiting closely but I do remember reading about Damien Harris going to Alabama, and some other recruits UK signed that they lost. It's easy for a UK fan to just shake it off and say "we do that every year!" but I suspect the lost recruits were the result of the season ending demolition and no Bowl.

They didn't really want or need Harris anyway. Boom is better and is even a darkhorse Heisman candidate (yes some of them actually said that).

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I guess once you get left at the altar like with Harris, you have to make up all kinds of justifications. But with Harris, they would have had real depth.

The teams UK fans dream of competing against in their league have guys like Harris 2 and maybe even 3 deep. You can't compete with those teams if you can't sign Harris in your own backyard.

Losing Harris was a major blow to Stoops' program, and I believe it was the result of the 6-game losing streak and missing a Bowl thanks to UofL. The damage of that season ending game will haunt Stoops and UK for years to come. And it really is a haunting, because we're talking about the ghosts of who might have come to their team.

Reactions: Mayoman
Losing Harris was a major blow to Stoops' program, and I believe it was the result of the 6-game losing streak and missing a Bowl thanks to UofL. The damage of that season ending game will haunt Stoops and UK for years to come. And it really is a haunting, because we're talking about the ghosts of who might have come to their team.
Don't believe this kid was ever coming to UK to begin with, his heart may have wanted to try and be the hometown hero but he made the smart business decision. He won't be counted on to run the ball 20 to 30 times at Bama which will translate into a much longer NFL career for him.

I guess once you get left at the altar like with Harris, you have to make up all kinds of justifications. But with Harris, they would have had real depth.

The teams UK fans dream of competing against in their league have guys like Harris 2 and maybe even 3 deep. You can't compete with those teams if you can't sign Harris in your own backyard.

It was classic TV last season watching the news reports of Stupes arriving at Harris's games in a helicopter like that was suppose to impress the kid. Their fans ate it up and now think they're on their way to being middle of the pack in the SEC East which is sadly their ultimate goal.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
I hesitate to go against the grain, but I do think UK will be better this year. Third year for Stoops, three solid recruiting classes, more experience, more talent, more depth. If they can improve the secondary, they should be quite a bit better overall. In addition, they have a more favorable schedule, with eight home games and with Florida, SC, and Vandy taking a big step backwards last year. They could well be bowl eligible when we play, and if we lose a few of our early season games, they might even be favored going into the game. Then again, if they don't shore up the defense, or if they have key injuries, or if the SEC East toughens up, the wheels could come off for the Cats. Either way, after the crap they pulled at PJCS, CBP is going to embarrass them at CWS this year. Go Cards!
I agree with you Heddly Lamar. UK will be better, how much is yet to be seen!?

How did you come to that conclusion? Our schedule is much more favorable with 8 home games. A better team and a better schedule should equal more wins

It's pretty simple. It's the exact opposite of how a UK fan sees the UK schedule.

See, UK beat USC last year, but that was at CWS, so UK will obviously lose that game at USC. UK fans also think that they almost beat UF last season in the Swamp, but UofL fans say that was just luck for UK to get that close, so this year at CWS UF is going to smash UK.

Those are just two games of the UK schedule that the UK and UofL football fan disagree about.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
It's pretty simple. It's the exact opposite of how a UK fan sees the UK schedule.

See, UK beat USC last year, but that was at CWS, so UK will obviously lose that game at USC. UK fans also think that they almost beat UF last season in the Swamp, but UofL fans say that was just luck for UK to get that close, so this year at CWS UF is going to smash UK.

Those are just two games of the UK schedule that the UK and UofL football fan disagree about.
Thanks for speaking for me...

I'll go with 33-in-a-row or whatever the LPT losing streak against the Gators is up to. (You almost have to try to be that inept.) I'll go with 30-1 or whatever the Tennessee "rivalry" has been for the last three decades. I'll go with Mizzou that has proven not only can they beat LPT, but also the rest of the SEC East. And I'll go with Petrino and U of L until you guys prove that you can beat him coaching in the Commonwealth.

LPT Football: You mean there's a chance?!?!...

Reactions: mwatson61
How did you come to that conclusion? Our schedule is much more favorable with 8 home games. A better team and a better schedule should equal more wins

Part of the problem for UK is, they aren't playing the exact same schedule this year as last year. The 2 SEC wins are now on the road, much tougher to get again.

I think they will win the same games as last year: The 3 OOC games against non-Power 5, and against Vanderbilt.

Three wins wouldn't surprise me since the Vandy game is on the road, but I think UK will win at Vandy because UK is somewhat improved with more talent and Vandy is really bad.

I believe the SC game was a fluke last year, and it'll take another fluke just to get them to 5.

I expect 4 wins. Five would be a major achievement.

The secondary as a whole wasn't terrible our corners were. I think McClain, Randolph, and Stamps are the three best DBs in that game. We've moved Randolph to corner to help where we've been very bad. Quinn got murdered by Parker last year and if he doesn't come a long way in the offseason he'll be coming off the bench. The RS comes off of two 4 stars in West and Edwards who have looked good in the Spring. The Cats finished 3rd in the SEC in interceptions and bring everyone back

When it comes to UL I won't claim to be well versed on their secondary. I think Harvey Clemons could be an elite OLB but I'm not sure yet how good he'll be in coverage. Wiggins has a broken arm right? Missed the spring and some of summer? After those two (I think most expect them to play a big part in the secondary) I don't know anyone else so I guess I'm assuming they will be new parts. Maybe Steelers or someone could fill me in there

Always good to state your team's secondary is superior to the Louisville secondary, then admit you are not familiar with the Louisville players. That's a solid argument right there.

Always good to state your team's secondary is superior to the Louisville secondary, then admit you are not familiar with the Louisville players. That's a solid argument right there.

If they'd played significant minutes in the past I would be familiar with them. An entire secondary with limited game experience and two transfers expected to start on day one doesn't inspire a lot of confidence if I'm a UL fan

If they'd played significant minutes in the past I would be familiar with them. An entire secondary with limited game experience and two transfers expected to start on day one doesn't inspire a lot of confidence if I'm a UL fan

I can understand your lack of confidence; doubt is born from losing, something we are not used to in our program. On the other hand, winning builds confidence, thus our belief in continued success.

The Cards replaced 3 first round draft picks last season - all originally recruited as Quarterbacks to Louisville. Items such as this are why Louisville fans feel the coaching staff and program recognizes the athletic portion of players primarily, then adapt those same players into - quite often - NFL-quality position players. Ironically, the 3 star who made All Conference for 4 consecutive years in that group, was only drafted in the 4th round, as I recall. Samples, a transfer who only played last season, started in Smith's place last season and found himself drafted as well. Simply on the face of things, people would have a point taking issue with re-starting the secondary - even our fans have large questions to ask. Yet, it is more than knee jerk pom pom waving that allows us to feel it will get done. There is a history which says the worst that would happen is what happened at QB for the Cards last season.

UK fans are fond of saying they were 2 plays away from being 7-6 and bowl-worthy last year. Well, both the Virginia and Clemson games for UofL were "2 plays away" from an 11 win season. For the life of me, I have not seen our fans use this as a justification for much of anything. We took those losses standing up.

Yes they will be better just enough so to guarantee wins in their non conference games except the Louisville game. Maybe Vandy fits that mold but no other team.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Day 1? UL will beat sUcKs as the last game of the sUcKs season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT