ADVERTISEMENT

? For Cat Fans

CardFan1130

Two-Star Poster
Jan 1, 2015
Help us find all the improvement you all made last yr. I know you had a couple of moral victories and beat 6-6 SC (you printed tshirts) when the OBC went senile and stopped running it down your throats. Otherwise it looked like same ol same ol. Help us out here.

Reactions: pervisl
Well, you know, they uhm. They're bigger yeah and uhm.........stronger than last year with some, uhhhhhm.....better players that their coach is ahhhhh....uhhhhhm. Talking good about and stuff.

REALLY exciting stuff LOL!

Reactions: pervisl
Not an LPT fan obviously, but their offense was a little better statistically.

Stupes side of the ball, defense, not much at all.

LPT Football: At least he doesn't try to coach the offense...

This is a pretty flawed thread.

First you are encouraging uk posters to come to our board and post. Nobody wants them here, don't encourage them.

Second you are starting a thread on the UofL board about uk. Another annoying trend.

Third, you are basically saying your teams stinks come tell us why you're team doesn't suck because I think they do. What human being on planet earth responds well and responds civilly when being attacked and called out like that? You make UofL fans look bad by posting things like this.

This post is just bad all the way around.

Their shiny 4 star recruits are "all growns up now", don't you know anything?

Reality means nothing. Perception means everything. Which is why they love recruiting so much. Shallow "victories" boost the ego. Parsing recruiting rankings as if that actually translates to on the field success. A tenth of a point here, versus a tenth of a point there. Blah blah blah.

Until they get a coach who knows how to develop players, they'll continue having the results they always have had on the field. I haven't seen anything yet from Stoops that says he's that guy. But maybe this year, that will show up. We'll see I guess. I'm just glad that's not my team. You have to be seriously masochistic to be a UK football fan.

This is a pretty flawed thread.

First you are encouraging uk posters to come to our board and post. Nobody wants them here, don't encourage them.

Second you are starting a thread on the UofL board about uk. Another annoying trend.

Third, you are basically saying your teams stinks come tell us why you're team doesn't suck because I think they do. What human being on planet earth responds well and responds civilly when being attacked and called out like that? You make UofL fans look bad by posting things like this.

This post is just bad all the way around.
A little sports hate never hurt anybody. Relax. They do far worse to us.

Their shiny 4 star recruits are "all growns up now", don't you know anything?

Reality means nothing. Perception means everything. Which is why they love recruiting so much. Shallow "victories" boost the ego. Parsing recruiting rankings as if that actually translates to on the field success. A tenth of a point here, versus a tenth of a point there. Blah blah blah.

Until they get a coach who knows how to develop players, they'll continue having the results they always have had on the field. I haven't seen anything yet from Stoops that says he's that guy. But maybe this year, that will show up. We'll see I guess. I'm just glad that's not my team. You have to be seriously masochistic to be a UK football fan.
As a long suffering UK football fan I have come here to be your sacrificial lamb.....lol.

Starting this season and going forward UK will have more depth then they have ever had. More play makers on offensive then they have ever had. More players physically in shape then they have ever had. One of the most determined staffs that I have seen in quite some time. How that translates into success on the field will be a testament to this staff over the next two seasons one way or the other.

Regardless of which direction it goes during any season in order for UK to go 6-6, 7-5 (no matter how good UK is) it has to beat three or four teams that no one thought they would beat. As a fan when your team dose that it is exciting.

Respect your elders, I'm an old man and my kids read this. Start hacking away........lol

Reactions: Tech Card
92, I'm not going to thrash and trash, but all of that stuff you said is just malarkey. And it's the same malarkey we read every year from LPT fans looking for this year's reason(s) to be optimistic.

You've got about sixty years of LPT football ineptitude proving that doing the same thing and expecting different results is indeed insane. There's nothing about this team that is measurably different from past LPT football teams at similar points in history. Does that mean you'll continue being inept?...No. But it sure as hell doesn't prove you won't be. And I'll take 60 years of history as evidence any day.

LPT Football: A mountain to climb...

I don't have sources or access to info but I'm on campus four days a week and see the difference with my own aged eyes. It is malarkey if the results stay the same. But there is a different feeling around the program that has not been there as far back as I can remember.

This staff is relentless and never stops working which has not happened for ever. We have had a lot of great people as coaches but they were all lazy to a certain extent. Not these guys.

Yes, a lot of talented, top assistants have failed as head coaches and the jury is still out on this staff. But, i like their chances to succeed better then who we have had as our last three coaches. But, as in all sports you have to win or nobody cares.

In other words, "bigger, faster stronger". And you're calling Rich Brooks lazy after the fact is quite rich. You jokers revered that guy.

Watch out SEC! This year we're in shape! On the field (where the games are actually played), what have you seen? I saw a team that pretty much laid down the last half of the season except for the moral victory against us

Last edited:
Last year UK won three more games than the previous year. That's improvement. This season I again think there will be improvement for a number of reasons.

The first is another step forward on the offense. Dawson won't be calling designed QB runs 15 times a game. He's also an actual QB coach, unlike Brown. I also look for there to be more of a vertical passing game, not only because of Dawson's philosophy, but also because of all the young WR talent UK has being a year older or coming off various RS years.

This leads to my second reason I think UK improves this season, and it's simply that Joker's players are being replaced by Stoops' guys. It is very telling to me that before the beginning of last season essentially a full recruiting class of Joker's players since Stoops took over were no longer with the team for various reasons.

This ties into my third reason for improvement, which is recruiting. While recruiting rankings aren't exact in terms of predicting on field results, they are a good barometer, and when combined with offer lists it becomes an even more solid indicator of success. I have seen way too much evidence, whether it be draft results or stats on recruiting rankings and poll rankings to see it any other way. The results in the UofL/UK series reflect this as well. Rivals has been compiling rankings since 2002, and more often than not UofL has had the higher rated classes.

So, quickly looking at some numbers posted on another site, this is what UK is working with:
Coach Class Rank # of commits left/total
Joker 2011 62 5/25 (%20)
Joker 2012 63 10/26 (%38.5)
Stoops 2013 29 15/23 (%65.2)
Stoops 2014 17 27/28 (%94.4)
Stoops 2015 35 ??/22

This does not include transfers in or walkons that may have been granted a scholarship. This means there will be roughly 15 Joker players left on the roster at the beginning of the year. This also means that while UK will have more depth this season than last, UK will be a very young, with very few upperclassmen. Most on the two deep will be RS Sophomores, some true Juniors, true Sophomores, and RS Freshmen. UK will likely take their lumps early with some young guys getting their feet wet, but they won't be as beat up at the end of the year, and will finish the season out stronger than last season.

In other words, "bigger, faster stronger". And you're calling Rich Brooks lazy after the fact is quite rich. You jokers revered that guy.
Brooks was revered by the players and they played their hearts out for him but he never had a staff that worked as hard as this one. He was a coach that got us some big wins and took us to bowl games but we never got past those 6-6 seasons. He never could get the depth needed to play in the SEC so injuries hurt even his better teams. Stoops has red shirted 15-18 players each of the past two years which is unheard of at UK.

:rolleyes: You all say the same exact thing EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Without fail. Yes 5 is better than 2 but was that team that much better? Yes you had 2 moral victories and beat awful South Carolina (and printed t-shirts). Otherwise, UT-Martin, Ohio, Vandy and Louisiana-Monroe isn't exactly murderer's row.

He was a coach that got us some big wins and took us to bowl games but we never got past those 6-6 seasons. He never could get the depth needed to play in the SEC so injuries hurt even his better teams. Stoops has red shirted 15-18 players each of the past two years which is unheard of at UK.

Yep Stupes has you dopes on the fast track to Atlanta, no doubt.

My greatest source of confidence with LPT is that their performance on defense has shown next-to-no improvement under Stupes. It's like the U of L defense not improving when Strong took over for Krags. Or the U of L offense not eventually improving under Petrino. If the head coach can't get HIS side of the ball playing better, there's little hope for the team.

LPT may be more competitive if they get and retain better players. But that's not necessarily translating to more wins playing the same schedule. LPT won more games early last year simply because of how soft their early schedule was. When the competition got tougher, the losses started mounting to the point of a six game--and counting--losing streak. That's traditional LPT football, not the first six games.

They try so hard to dummy down their schedule, you have to peel back the onion to understand what's really going on.

LPT Football: The smoke and mirrors approach to college football...

And it helps them immensely that Vanderbilt is apparently Vanderbilt again. Franklin leaving was the best thing that ever happened to Stoops, or it would be really ugly. Prior to last year the 3 previous meetings were Vandy 100 Cats 14. We talking bout Vanderbilt. . . not Alabama. . . not Ohio St. We talkin bout Vanderbilt.

Kentuvky issue is their schedule...they will be favored in only 4 Games...they will have to pull 2 upsets to become Bowl Eligible.

Not an LPT fan obviously, but their offense was a little better statistically.

Stupes side of the ball, defense, not much at all.

LPT Football: At least he doesn't try to coach the offense...

I go along with zippy! Is gonna be rough if U ah kitty gets ahead of us.

Those people are insane. According to them we soon won't be competing with the juggernaut Stoops is building down there

Last edited:
3 years of recruiting in the books for Stoops, right? According to this website, UK finished 13 out of 14 in the SEC in 2 of those 3 years. The lone exception was finishing 9th.

This year, again according to this site, UofL actually finished slightly ahead of UK in recruiting. Yet somehow the talent gap is narrowing quickly.

For over a year we heard about how Stoops had the inside track on Damien Harris, how there was no way Harris would follow in Shaun Alexander's footsteps. Too many trips to Lexington to hang out with the team. Stoops had it in the bag.

This is what UK fans got so excited about with recruiting the past 3 years?

Depth was mentioned in this thread as a significant advantage for UK this year. Depth is what went out the door when several players left the team on Stoops's arrival. Guys who were redshirt freshmen and sophomores, that had put the time in the weight room to get ready to play, suddenly weren't there. And UK is still hurting on that missing depth. I remember reading about the exodus at the time and hearing "that guy's barely 3rd string." But those are the guys who spend 4-5 years in your system and contribute Senior year providing some depth. Instead they're just gone and hard to recognize what's missing since they've been gone so long. But still a big loss to team depth that they're going to face again, next year.

On the field, UK's team was destroyed in the 2nd half the past 2 years. Looking for signs of improvement as the year goes on? Improvement is Vandy going downhill, not UK getting better. Just like the Rich Brooks era when UK improved when Kragthorpe came in.

UK has 8 home games. But 2 of the SEC games they won last year are now on the road. They're going to beat Spurrier 2 years in a row? Or get within striking distance of Florida 2 years in a row? It's really hard to see, even with so many home games, how this team is going to get Bowl eligible.

Public Enemy is spot on, the problem is Miss State is much better than they have been historically. Auburn looks terrific, and Florida is still Florida. UT really just plays with UK. I see 4-8 or 5-7 if UK beats us in Lex, which is a really big if since Petrino is Petrino. Vandy is on the road, and they won't beat USCjr on the road. If they can surprise UT or Missouri at home they could be on to something, as well as beating us. I like Towles, and figure he can potentially get some of this done, but he can't make the throws to beat the better secondaries, he keeps them in games because of his athleticism. Beat UL and UT or Missouri and I would say they have improvement. UK has never shown that they can beat those teams in the past. 6-6 would be a miracle. 7-5 and Stoops is Coach of the Year.

I think Stoops and his staff have more support than any previous staff. The fan base, crazy and diluted as they are, have some reasons to feel optimism as Stoops first 3 classes are growing up in his system. It still remains to be seen if his system will work. I remember them saying Neal Brown was a guru, now that he's gone, he was the problem and Dawson is the answer. As another season approaches the BBN is still wandering the dessert looking for the promised land. I think they are still a couple of classes away from getting to that middle of the pack which is their goal.

Help us find all the improvement you all made last yr. I know you had a couple of moral victories and beat 6-6 SC (you printed tshirts) when the OBC went senile and stopped running it down your throats. Otherwise it looked like same ol same ol. Help us out here.
First, UK didn't print t-shirts. There's a random website that prints and sells t-shirts for all kinds of random games in an effort to make a buck off of people dumb enough to buy them (there's a sucker born every minute, right?).

To answer the question, though, Towles was a definite upgrade from Whitlow. Williams and Heard were better than Kemp/Mobley/Clemons. Stamps was a MAJOR improvement at safety. Just a few off the top of my head. Line quality and depth is harder to measure objectively, though the D line was better last year than in 2013 (not good enough, but better). O line struggled last year still.

You did ask what the improvement was LAST year, right? (not the expected improvement this year)

Could you imagine what the last 6 games would have looked like without said improvement. Might not have even morally best us.

First off, the coming year is still "next" year.

And NEXT year is ALWAYS a better year for uk. Has been for years. Next year is going to be their best in history. They can't wait for next year.

Second, I'd subjectively wager that Boom may very well be better, or at least as good, as DH.

Call me jaded, but I'll take a 4 star (and many 3 star's) from GA (or FL, AL, TX, OH) kid over a 5 star KY, just because of the competition.

D. Parker, M. Bush, B, Brohm, Kolby Smith, and Lozo, among MANY others, are 3 and 4 star players, and a kid from Richmond KY playing against 190# DT's is a 5?

He may be, but I'll have to see it.

The funny thing about you card fans us you chastise us about optimism and yet you do the same thing. I think last year you guys were spouting going 11-1 and possibly going to the Playoff. PULEASE.

If you can't see that the talent gap between the two programs is about as close as it has been since Joke years then you are not paying attention. Lastly, you guys strut around like you demolished us last year. And according to zippy we sucked as a tean but you guys ONLY beat us by 4 AT the oven. So I would tread lightly on your comments there could be some crow being served in November.....

The funny thing about you card fans us you chastise us about optimism and yet you do the same thing. I think last year you guys were spouting going 11-1 and possibly going to the Playoff. PULEASE.

If you can't see that the talent gap between the two programs is about as close as it has been since Joke years then you are not paying attention. Lastly, you guys strut around like you demolished us last year. And according to zippy we sucked as a tean but you guys ONLY beat us by 4 AT the oven. So I would tread lightly on your comments there could be some crow being served in November.....
I predicted 8-4 under Charlie, and I added a win to that total when we HIRED Petrino. Gosh, I'm smart!

LPT needs a big talent gap in LPT's favor to overcome the coaching difference that exists with respect to U of L. Stupes is not even mentioned among the better coaches in college football, and that's as it should be. He's proven nothing except that he can elevate slapd!ck optimism.

I think 'zippy's' quote is no LPT improvement over the prior year or even compared to Joker's regime. And the facts (stats) bear that out. The LPT game here in Louisville last year was a much more lopsided contest than the final score showed. Again, that's what the stats show.

LPT Football: We hate statistics...

Moral Victory U.

Hey we were 9-3 and 12-1 the yr before that and the yr before we went 11-2 and demolished a team in the Sugar Bowl that you've beaten once in 35 years despite playing them every year. You idiots on the other hand.......have nothing to chirp about. You're a laughing stock amongst all but the echo chamber of stupid amongst your fan base.

The funny thing about you card fans us you chastise us about optimism and yet you do the same thing. I think last year you guys were spouting going 11-1 and possibly going to the Playoff. PULEASE. .

The fact of the matter is that in the preseason prediction poll on this board, 8-4 was the most selected projection, followed by 9-3. I think most on here predicted pretty accurately,

Public Enemy is spot on, the problem is Miss State is much better than they have been historically. Auburn looks terrific, and Florida is still Florida. UT really just plays with UK. I see 4-8 or 5-7 if UK beats us in Lex, which is a really big if since Petrino is Petrino. Vandy is on the road, and they won't beat USCjr on the road. If they can surprise UT or Missouri at home they could be on to something, as well as beating us. I like Towles, and figure he can potentially get some of this done, but he can't make the throws to beat the better secondaries, he keeps them in games because of his athleticism. Beat UL and UT or Missouri and I would say they have improvement. UK has never shown that they can beat those teams in the past. 6-6 would be a miracle. 7-5 and Stoops is Coach of the Year.

Exactly...the Vegas Over/Under win Total for Kentucky is 6...with that schedule I would take the Under...not because Kentucky lacks talent but that schedule is still brutal.

Louisville over/under is 7.5...I'm again leaning towards 8-4 this year...I like the over for Louisville.

Hey we were 9-3 and 12-1 the yr before that and the yr before we went 11-2 and demolished a team in the Sugar Bowl that you've beaten once in 35 years despite playing them every year. You idiots on the other hand.......have nothing to chirp about. You're a laughing stock amongst all but the echo chamber of stupid amongst your fan base.
LOL...UK fans don't understand facts. All they have is basketball while our other sports excel.

I thought they had a few more play makers than they usually have. They've got to replace a couple guys on D that were pretty good individually though, so next year could be a step back if they can't get stops at all.

ADVERTISEMENT