ADVERTISEMENT

Finally - Stoops talks about disciplinary measures imposed on his star RB & other players. He expects MULTIPLE GAME SUSPENSIONS "for a few of them"

Pervis_Griffith

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Stoops finally had to say something about his star RB and a Senior LB who have been the focus of rumors all summer long.

RB Chris Rodriguez had a DUI surface last spring. But there were obviously other shenanigans going on as there are other players involved in some kind of rule (law?) breaking that are also facing suspensions.

Here's how this was written about over on Cayuts Illustrated:

For the first time since reports emerged this summer that the Wildcats could be without some key players to begin the season, Kentucky head coach Mark Stoops addressed the lingering questions Monday during his press conference to preview this week's opener against Miami of Ohio.

Two veteran players, running back Chris Rodriguez and outside linebacker Jordan Wright, were not listed on the first official depth chart of the season. Additional players are also rumored to be facing disciplinary action resulting from an ongoing internal investigation.

"I want to say that I appreciate the respect that (the media) have had through this process," Stoops said. "You guys know a lot of times, because I'm very open and honest with you and you're very respectful in return, that when I have something to say, I'll say it. I just have to say that these players have some rights as well, and I have to be very conscientious with that.

"I expect a few of them to have multiple-game suspensions. But I don't know. I'll address it (further) next week. I'm expecting one of them to be back next week. We'll see."

After playing Miami of Ohio on Saturday at Kroger Field, the Cats travel to Florida for their SEC opener on Sept. 10 followed by non-conference home games with Youngstown State and Northern Illinois.

Asked what has delayed the process, Stoops cited a number of "layers" to the situation, and that he must answer to various university officials. "My bosses have bosses."

Stoops declined to cite which players were involved but acknowledged the omission of both Rodriguez and Wright, two returning starters, from the depth chart.

Rodriguez, a 5-foot-11, 224-pound senior, is one of the SEC's top returning rushers (1,379) from last season and is poised to make a run at UK's all-time rushing rushing record in 2022. He is currently 1,133 yards behind Benny Snell's career mark of 3,873.

Senior Kavosiey Smoke was listed No. 1 on the depth chart at running back this week with senior transfer Ramon Jefferson as the primary backup. Junior JuTahn McClain is also expected to be heavily involved in the rotation this season.

Wright, a 6-5, 231-pound super-senior, has played in 42 career games and has recorded 7.5 sacks. He is considered to be a big key to the UK defensive scheme this season playing opposite of potential All-SEC candidate J.J. Weaver at the other outside linebacker spot.

Kentucky removed Wright's strongside linebacker position from the depth chart this week in favor of the nickelback position the unit may use more of in the opener against Miami of Ohio. That position is headed by sophomore Andru Phillips and freshman Alex Afari.

It is out of Stoops hand. It appears to be in the Presidents office. It is clear they are going to keep in as quiet as possible and try to move on. Not sure they can avoid it now. Seems like they have brought more attention to the situation than necessary.

Eric Crawford's take on things .... (sorry if this has already been posted here) ...

www.wdrb.com

CRAWFORD | UK says Rodriguez, others, could miss multiple games, but needs to say more

Mark Stoops made official what everyone has known for a while: University of Kentucky All-American running back Chris Rodriguez will miss the Wildcats' football season opener against Miami (Ohio) on
www.wdrb.com
www.wdrb.com

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Mark Stoops made official what everyone has known for a while: University of Kentucky All-American running back Chris Rodriguez will miss the Wildcats' football season opener against Miami (Ohio) on Saturday, though Stoops declined to say that Rodriguez is suspended for a DUI offense in the offseason.

But it is something else Stoops refused to discuss that figures to take center stage for Kentucky, even as it prepares for a highly anticipated season, with its first preseason national ranking since 1978. Now, though, the program will be dogged by questions over multiple players being declared unavailable, perhaps for multiple games.

Stoops revealed that Monday at his regular game-week news conference but would not say what players would be out, the expected length of their absences or the nature of the reasons for their absence.

The coach thanked the media present for respecting the rights of the players involved. He did acknowledge that the status of the players was in the hands of university administrators, as well as the coaching staff.

"I've been in tune to this situation for a while," Stoops said. "I haven't been withholding. It's just things change. ... Things evolve, things change. Information comes and goes. There's different layers to things. That means there's multiple different entities involved. I prefer not to dig anymore into it. I'm not withholding anything. I've been pretty in tune with what I felt like things were going to happen, but I have bosses and they have bosses and so on."

Investigations are all well and good. But Kentucky, in this case, also needs to respect the rights of the public, and the fans who support the program.

It's hard to imagine another SEC program announcing multiple players being unavailable without even identifying the players involved.

Stoops said he might have more to say next week, but in the meantime, the school's decision not to list the players involved will cast doubt on anyone who misses this weekend's game. And in the absence of hard information, rumors will swirl.

The school certainly can respect the rights of players and still identify them, without going into details of what now appears to be an investigation of multiple football athletes.

Kentucky opened as a 20.5-point favorite over Miami. The line by Monday afternoon was down to 16.5 points.

Too bad Louisville media isn’t obsessed with it like they would be if it happened at UofL.
UK is in Lexington. It’s not convenient for the Louisville media to go above and beyond. The LHL is a nutless UK mouthpiece, too. In other words, UK is protected.

I hope they get busted and some real stuff hits the fan. I’m tired of them skating with all the stench that comes from Lexington. Get them!

Reactions: Deeva and rmac
They $EC don’t cha know?

If they ain’t cheatin’, they ain’t tryin’

This is no big deal in their world because nobody has EVER taken any serious heat for cheating.

The next time will be the first time.

The DUI is factual, but the assault charges are still just rumored. If the rumor proves true, there will be be far more extensive disciplinary action taken by the University; not in Stoops hands.

The LHL and CJ have no intention of investigating or reporting anything remotely negative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT