ADVERTISEMENT

Donovan Mitchell shines at Jordan Brand Regional Classic

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
University of Louisville signee Donovan Mitchell was a standout in the Jordan Brand Classic Regional game on Friday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. The 6-foot-3 guard was named MVP of the regional contest.

Donovan Mitchell did it again.

Six days after winning MVP honors in the Derby Festival Classic, the University of Louisville signee was named MVP of the Jordan Brand Classic Regional game on Friday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

The 6-foot-3 Mitchell finished with a game-high 30 points and also had nine steals in the contest. His team lost the contest.

Mitchell also had the highlight of the game on a spin move that resulted in a monster tomahawk slam dunk.

Mitchell will arrive in Louisville in late May. The kid has defiantly got
game.r191677.gif
!!
Screen_Shot_2015-04-18_at_2.17.09_PM.0.0.png

This post was edited on 4/18 6:20 PM by Cardiotonic

Mitchell is definitely one of the new guys that I'm excited about. He has great athleticism and seems to like playing defense. Can't wait to see him as a Card.

Will be the best guard to come out of Louisville in a long time! Quote me on that one.

He is ready day one!

Reactions: n4cer2ad
Considering we've had Russ, Peyton and Rozier in the last 2 years, that's saying lots. He reminds me of LaBradford and Terry with his explosive bursts! I agree he will be a great one for UofL!

Considering Q will return and Trey Lewis will come in, Im hoping Pitino will be able to develop a rotation that will best utilize all their talents, keep them all happy, and best benefit the team.

Physically he is ready . The way he attacks the basket is unmatched by any freshman we have had in a long time

Physically he is ready . The way he attacks the basket is unmatched by any freshman we have had in a long time

I agree it has been a long time since we have had a freshman like him. Can't wait to see him in the Cards uniform.

I also think Mitchell could be as good as some of our recent guards, but I hate to set the bar that high for an incoming freshman. One thing he definitely has going for him is that the door is wide open. Siva had to wait behind Sosa. Russ was behind a few veteran guys but was nowhere near ready when he arrived. Rozier was in line behind Russ and Jones, but he still had a great freshman season. Donnovan Mitchell is the first guard I can recall who has the opportunity to come in and lead this team in scoring as a freshman. I've seen the highlights and read the all star game statlines, but what I love more than that is the passion he plays with. The kid is smiling and just loves playing the game. Guys can't just learn that. It's a trait that the greats have and it's often what separates them from the very good players. I don't want to put him on a pedestal to the same result as Blackshear, but he deserves the praise he is getting.

We have a composed PG - Snider. The shooter - Lewis. And the slasher - Mitchell. Could be a sneaky good backcourt next year.

I think the starting lineup depends on rather or not we get Lee. With Lee I could see either Mitchell or Snider starting. Without Lee I think both will start. I love mitchell's game from what I have seen so far.

The scouting report on Mitchell though is he is a slasher, finisher, scorer, but the vast majority of his scoring is on dribble drive to the basket and has a lot of work to do on his jump shot and mid-range game. Hope that part develops quickly and strongly!!

Mitchell has the legit physical tools to start from day one. The question is, how soon will Pitino feel comfortable with his defense and knowledge of the system. And the same will apply to Lewis. I loved what I saw from Snider after replacing Jones; I expect him to definitely be a starter next year.

Mitchell is one of those guys that loves to play defense. It will take him a while to pick up the schemes, but the drive is there and that part usually takes the longest to develop.

Reactions: Steelers2012
Mitchell has the legit physical tools to start from day one. The question is, how soon will Pitino feel comfortable with his defense and knowledge of the system. And the same will apply to Lewis. I loved what I saw from Snider after replacing Jones; I expect him to definitely be a starter next year.

First time quoting someone on this new format. Seems a little strange and will have to get used to it. Anyway yeah it seems Mitchell is physically ready so that is good news, but we'll have to see how he picks up the defense to Pitino's liking. It does seem like Lewis will start though.

P.S. When did you become a mod, Steelers?

First time quoting someone on this new format. Seems a little strange and will have to get used to it. Anyway yeah it seems Mitchell is physically ready so that is good news, but we'll have to see how he picks up the defense to Pitino's liking. It does seem like Lewis will start though.

P.S. When did you become a mod, Steelers?

I was added with the board revision.

ADVERTISEMENT