ADVERTISEMENT

Depth chart projections

TJesse57

New Poster, Show Me Love
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2018
Shelbyville
With about 5 weeks until game day this is what I believe the depth chart will look like along with my options on each position group.

Offense

I think the offense will worst case be about the same as last year (production wise) if not better. Yes Lamar is gone but the thought is that the offense should be more balanced with a more ‘pro style’ QB. Not balanced as in run/pass bc the ratio last year was actually 51/49 pass/run, I’m talking about the run game being more balanced between RB and QB runs. The WR core is certainly one of the best in the country, the TE group has 3 good, experienced guys, the RBs although inexperienced certainly have the talent and the OL is the best we’ve had in recent memory.

QB

Jawon Pass 6’4” 230 RSo

Malik Cunningham 6’1” 185 RFr

Jordan Travis 6’3” 185 FR

Barring something crazy, Pass will command the offense this year. Although it was mainly in garbage time Pass completely about 70% of his attempts showing his ability to be accurate with the football. I expect some ‘rookie’ mistakes but I also expect a lot out of Pass this year. Expect Cunningham to be the primary back up and for Jordan Travis to take a redshirt.

RB

Colin Wilson 6’1” 230 RFr

Dae Williams 6’2” 230 RSo

Trey Smith 6’0” 220 RJr

Hassan Hall 6’0” 205 Fr

Malik Staples 6’1” 220 Jr

Javian Hawkins 5’9” 185 Fr

The six players above all have talent no doubt, but who will break through and take the Starting RB spot left vacant by Reggie ? My money is on Colin Wilson. I believe him to be our most talented back and the back most likely to be able to carry 15+ times a game. Next would be big Dae Williams, who is a bruiser and showed great promise after returning from an ACL injury in just 5 months last year. The biggest question mark with both of these guys will be how they each return from injury yet again, Wilson tore his ACL in the Murray state game but was able to take a Redshirt and Dae has been in a walking boot for most of the summer (believe it’s just recently been taken off). If both of these players take longer than expected to return look for Trey Smith to take the lead back spot against Bama. Smith always runs hard and looked pretty good in limited action last season. Hassan Hall, Malik Staples and Javion Hawkins round out the RB room. Staples had played LB in his first two seasons, not sure what to expect from him though his primary position in high school was RB. Originally I would assimr both Fr to take Redshirts due to the amount of bodies at the position but between the injury history of the guys above and the high praise Bobby has given him I expect Hassan Hall to be a change of pace back being arguably the fastes of the backs. Hawkins is my Redshirt candidate. Regardless of who the starter is this position will be mostly a group effort, not necessarily one guy getting the bulk of the carries. Expect fullback Tobias Little to get some carries as well.

FB

Tobias Little 6’0” 245

The fullback position is somewhat of a dying bread in football but Bobby runs some sets with one. Little is the lone scholarship fullback, though Mickey Crum and Jordan Davis also lined up as a fullback/H-back last year as well.

TE

Kemari Averett 6’6” 265 So

Mickey Crum 6’4” 255 RSr

Jordan Davis 6’4” 250 RJr

Louisville has three talented and experienced guys at TE in 2018. Although Bobby loves to run two TE sets, expect Kemari Averett to assume the role as the ‘starter’ in single sets. Kemari has great size and ability, and overall is the most talented TE on roster. Crum had a huge RFr year but hasn’t replicated that production since, due to off the field issues in 2016 and injury’s in 2017. If healthy I expect Crum to be back to form and to be more of a down the field receiving threat. Last but not least is Jordan Davis, Davis was the highest rated of the three in high school and has reportedly changed his body and lost about 10-15 pounds this offseason. I expect big things and great consistency from the TEs this year.

WR

X

Jaylen Smith 6’4” 225 Sr

Corey Reed 6’3” 205 So

Or

Devante Peete 6’6” 205 RJr

Chris Taylor-Yamamoha 6’2” 180 RSo

Y

Seth Dawkins 6’3” 210 Jr

Justin Marshall 6’3” 205 RFr

Emonee Spence 6’3 190 RJr

Jatavious Harris 6’1” 185 Fr

Z

Dez Fitzpatrick 6’2” 200 RSo

Josh Johnson 5’11” 175 So

Keion Wakefield 5’10” 180 RSo

Tutu Atwell 5’9” 155 Fr

Others

Marcus Riley 5’10” 170 Fr

Tyler Harrell 6’0 175 Fr

With 14 scholarship players the receiving core is easily the most talented and deepest position group for Louisville in 2018. Jaylen Smith and Dez Fitzpatrick are both on the Biletnikoff watch list and both are All-ACC caliber players while Seth Dawkins is a big, physical receiver who can catch well in traffic. After that you’ve got young and talented guys like Corey Reed, Josh Johnson and Justin Marshall who I expect to be the next wave of Afros. Not to be forgotten about are guys who have been around for 3-4 years but due to injuries or just the depth chart haven’t been able to crack the rotation such as Devante Peete, Emonee Spence, Keion Wakefield and Chris Taylor-Yamanoha. Lastly you have the freshman class of Tutu Atwell, Jatavious Harris, Marcus Riley, and Tyler Harrell. The only freshman I believe won’t redshirt is TuTu as, based on the spring and Petrino’s comments he will most likely be used in specific packages to utilize his speed.

OL

LT

Mekhi Becton 6’7” 350 So

Toryque Bateman 6’6” 305 RFr

LG

Kenny Thomas 6’6” 320 Sr

Caleb Chandler 6’4” 295 RFr

C

Cole Bentley 6’3” 315 So

Robbie Bell 6’5” 300 RSo

Nate Scheler 6’1” 290 RJr

RG

Lukayus McNeil 6’6” 300 RSr

Ronald Rudd 6’5” 330 RJr

RT

Linwood Foy 6’4” 300 RSr

Toryque Bateman 6’6” 305 RFr

Adonis Boone 6’5” 280 Fr

Arguably the best line we’ve had in a while, it would have been nice to see Geron stick around one more year but can’t blame him for getting paid. Personally I’d like to see Lukayus move back to RT bc I don’t like him at guard but I believe that’s here the staff will play him. Becton is a star in the making (though I would like to see him get down around 330-340),Kenny Thomas has been a consistent starter the last year or so, Cole Bentley will be an upgrade from Bell at center and Linwood Foy appears to have make real strides in order to be the favorite to start at the opposite tackle. I’d like to see Bateman challenge Foy throughout the season, and I also think Bell might move to Guard with all signs pointing to Bentley starting at center. Ronald Rudd and Caleb Chandler look to be the primary back ups at both Guard positions, and I am glad both guys got to redshirt last year. Look for Adonis Boone to redshirt to gain some muscle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News