ADVERTISEMENT

De'Aaron Fox

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
The three weeks of evaluations for college basketball coaches are complete and it appears the University of Louisville basketball staff has its top target at the point guard spot.

Katy, Tx., star De'Aaron Fox had a sensational month and is one of the elite players in the class. He's the top pure point guard on the list for the Cardinals, while Rick Pitino and his staff are also still after combo guard Markelle Fultz.

U of L is also still pursuing Linn, Ore., guard Payton Pritchard, who recently backed off a commitment from Oklahoma, along with new combo guard targets Brandon Robinson and Andrew Jones.

The Cardinals are still among the final six schools being listed for Dennis Smith.

But it appears Fox is the main point guard target, noting the Cardinals are "showing a lot of interest," and are one of the schools that could get a visit when he narrows his list.

"They're building a relationship," Fox said. "Coach (Kenny Johnson) says I could fit into the system. I like the style they play and how coach Pitino just lets his guards play."

Jody Demling

Reactions: beasleythecard
VJ King is a great player and may be a one and done.

Whatever point guard we land will be a 4 or 5 star because that is all we are in on.

I look for us to add a big and that will possibly be Ado or one of the 5 star post players we are in on.

Coach Johnson and Balado are earning their keep this offseason and are building a solid class.

Would love to get one of Fox, or Dennis Smith. Sounds like we are in better position with Fox at the moment but either one will be hard to pull out of there current states. However I do have a good feeling we will get one of the two to go along with King.

Would love to get one of Fox, or Dennis Smith. Sounds like we are in better position with Fox at the moment but either one will be hard to pull out of there current states. However I do have a good feeling we will get one of the two to go along with King.
I hope so.

De'Aaron Fox

"You don't want to go somewhere expecting to be a one-and-done but that coach has never had a one-and-done kid," Fox said. "You don't want to be there and be the first guy. If it's never happened in history there's a small percent chance you can do it. "That's why everyone wants to go to Kentucky, they want to be a one-and-done. I watch that stuff. I really think about stuff, I analyze the game and analyze what the coach does and analyze what they've done the last 10 years and stuff like that. It's great knowing what I'm coming in to."

Fox isn't going to U of L. Why play for 'Please come back and 'develop' and get drafted in the exact same spot you would have or worse and save my season' Pitino? He may not go to UK. But he sure isn't going to Louisville to lose a few million to make Pitino look better.

Seems like this kid needs to skip college and go over seas like EM. What these kids fail to realize is that you have to work hard in pro basketball. It will not be handed to you. That is whay many of these one and dones are flamming out of the league so fast.

Pitino prepares kids for the next level he does not baby sit them for 7 months and cut them loose.

Seems like this kid needs to skip college and go over seas like EM. What these kids fail to realize is that you have to work hard in pro basketball. It will not be handed to you. That is whay many of these one and dones are flamming out of the league so fast.

Pitino prepares kids for the next level he does not baby sit them for 7 months and cut them loose.

Pitino prepares kids for the next level

Name a few.

Pitino prepares kids for the next level

Name a few.
You proud of the Arrogant Twins?
Im so happy Wisconsin humbled your fans.
Get you some of that humble pie.
Without Darius Miller your pos coach does not have a title.

Without world wide wesley and nike money you wouldnt have your chest out.

I like the kids pitino gets to campus.

Gourgi Dieng
Russ Smith
Larry Obannon
Terry Rozier
Montrezl Harrell

Just to name a few my good man......

9 nba picks and old slime didnt bring home a title. That has to hurt your bunghole.....

#L1C4

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: earsky

Don't count on either.

Reactions: brianpoe
Im so happy Wisconsin humbled you maggots.

Gourgi Dieng
Russ Smith
Larry Obannon
Terry Rozier
Montrezl Harrell

9 nba picks and old slime didnt bring home a title. That has to hurt your bunghole.....

#L1C4

No problem. Just as long as we advance farther in the NCAA tournament than the Cards. Also a bonus to beat the Cards each time we play them.

Im so happy Wisconsin humbled you maggots.

Gourgi Dieng
Russ Smith
Larry Obannon
Terry Rozier
Montrezl Harrell

#L1C4
I would not take any of those five players over Cal's.

WWW is the most over hyped guy in sports. Someone who is not? Cal

Y'all hired Marques Teague s coach on staff and still could not get him.

Darius miller?

You are not intelligent about the game of basketball.

Im so happy Wisconsin humbled your fans.

Gourgi Dieng
Russ Smith
Larry Obannon
Terry Rozier
Montrezl Harrell

#L1C4
Just the truth, nothing but the truth.

Inferiority? o_O You guys are good in one sport and your rival has the most recent championship in that sport. As for 2013 being a down year, our team couldn't shoot a lick and we made the ff in 2012, whereas 2013 your kittens couldn't even manage to dance. Some of you guys are really good posters while the majority are about as intelligent as a box of rocks.

No problem. Just as long as we advance farther in the NCAA tournament than the Cards. Also a bonus to beat the Cards each time we play them.

Cal is this you man?
funny how when you fell on your face (40-0 smack) that you changed it to you live for draft night.

play for draft night........... "line of the decade"

the more you talk, the doubt is erased that you may harbor some intellect.

2013 was a weak year for Univeristy of Kentucky college basketball this is well known.

There, fixed it for you. The only people who claim 2013 was a weak year for college basketball are UK fans. There is no standard or measurement to make one year "weak" or "strong" compared to another year. It all just opinion based on a couple of cherry picked stats, and that one opinion is shared by people who lost out on that year.

So, don't start talking your crap about us or anyone else having trouble with facts. You don't care much for facts either.

I heard alot of the so called national experts say that back then. Only because they hated too see Louisville win it all. Louisville has never been a media darling, never. You always hear them say college BB is better when the Bluo Bloods are good, they really hate to see any other program have sustained sucess. Why i pulled so hard for Wisconsin to win it all.

Obsess much?

At least you mentioned going farther than the Cards only once in this post, unlike a previous post where you mentioned it twice in three sentences.

Sounds like you have a great life going.

The three weeks of evaluations for college basketball coaches are complete and it appears the University of Louisville basketball staff has its top target at the point guard spot.

Katy, Tx., star De'Aaron Fox had a sensational month and is one of the elite players in the class. He's the top pure point guard on the list for the Cardinals, while Rick Pitino and his staff are also still after combo guard Markelle Fultz.

U of L is also still pursuing Linn, Ore., guard Payton Pritchard, who recently backed off a commitment from Oklahoma, along with new combo guard targets Brandon Robinson and Andrew Jones.

The Cardinals are still among the final six schools being listed for Dennis Smith.

But it appears Fox is the main point guard target, noting the Cardinals are "showing a lot of interest," and are one of the schools that could get a visit when he narrows his list.

"They're building a relationship," Fox said. "Coach (Kenny Johnson) says I could fit into the system. I like the style they play and how coach Pitino just lets his guards play."

Jody Demling

Looks like he is UK bound.

Looks like he is UK bound.

Based on what? 247 Crystal Ball has him @ 60% for Texas. If you're going to keep telling us "not to count on" or "looks like he's going elsewhere", you gotta bring SOMETHING. A quote, a post, a tweet...something from the player that supports your statement.

Last edited:
Silly us...didn't we know that all of these guys we are after are uk bound?? What were we thinking..

It's just like that King guy we were after. He listed his final 5 and we were in it and so was uk and that turned out soooooo bad for us...;)

Based on what? 247 Crystal Ball has him @ 60% for Texas. If you're going to keep telling us "not to count on" or "looks like he's going elsewhere", you gotta bring SOMETHING. A quote, a post, a tweet...something from the player that supports your statement.

I tend to believe he goes to UK as well, while thinking for the longest time that he would be Texas-bound. Calipari has made Fox the top priority at PG for UK (which does carry a lot of weight on the recruiting trail), but I'm basing my guess on a quote from Fox himself.

"You don't want to go somewhere expecting to be a one-and-done but that coach has never had a one-and-done kid," Fox said. "You don't want to be there and be the first guy. If it's never happened in history there's a small percent chance you can do it.

"That's why everyone wants to go to Kentucky, they want to be a one-and-done. I watch that stuff. I really think about stuff, I analyze the game and analyze what the coach does and analyze what they've done the last 10 years and stuff like that. It's great knowing what I'm coming in to."

As Fox nears a cut down with his list he knows what factors will play into that part of his decision and the programs that he will eventually choose from share some common traits.

"Every school that's going to be on my list they win," Fox said. "The last three years every school on my list they've been at least a top-four team going into the NCAA tournament. They put guys into the league and I just want to go to a great situation where I can excel and try to take my talents to the NBA."

Right now Fox's plan is commit to a school around his birthday, Dec. 20."

(I found this link at the page below)
- See more at: https://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1787043#sthash.bY3DhbsF.dpuf

I tend to believe he goes to UK as well, while thinking for the longest time that he would be Texas-bound. Calipari has made Fox the top priority at PG for UK (which does carry a lot of weight on the recruiting trail), but I'm basing my guess on a quote from Fox himself.

"You don't want to go somewhere expecting to be a one-and-done but that coach has never had a one-and-done kid," Fox said. "You don't want to be there and be the first guy. If it's never happened in history there's a small percent chance you can do it.

"That's why everyone wants to go to Kentucky, they want to be a one-and-done. I watch that stuff. I really think about stuff, I analyze the game and analyze what the coach does and analyze what they've done the last 10 years and stuff like that. It's great knowing what I'm coming in to."

As Fox nears a cut down with his list he knows what factors will play into that part of his decision and the programs that he will eventually choose from share some common traits.

"Every school that's going to be on my list they win," Fox said. "The last three years every school on my list they've been at least a top-four team going into the NCAA tournament. They put guys into the league and I just want to go to a great situation where I can excel and try to take my talents to the NBA."

Right now Fox's plan is commit to a school around his birthday, Dec. 20."

(I found this link at the page below)
- See more at: https://arizona.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1787043#sthash.bY3DhbsF.dpuf

I can buy that line of thinking. You have an opinion and provided some basis for it. There's no question Calipari has been the recruiting King in his time at UK, but he can't sign them all. And the current class showed he doesn't get EVERYBODY he wants, which it did seem like in years past.

Kids like Fox fail to realize that a whole lotta good kids come up short at LPT too. Guys like these...

Daniel Orton – Idaho Stampede NBA D-League

Darnell Dodson – Who knows where this guy is?

Jon Hood – Maybe in Italy?

Doron Lamb – Westchester Knicks NBA D-League

Stacey Poole – Transferred into the abyss

Eloy Vargas – Metros de Santiago (Dominican Rep.)

Marquis Teague – Made it but bombing out

Kyle Wiltjer – Got out while he could

Archie Goodwin – Logging half the PT he did last year with the Suns

Alex Poythress – Tee hee hee

Lee and the Twins – Tee hee hee hee hee

Willis and Hawkins – Lost KY kids

James Young – Maine Red Claws NBA D-League

And that's 16 of the 28 players (57%) thru 2014--the majority IOW--that Pitino Lite has recruited at LPT. Of those 16, TEN were 5-star, FOUR were 4-star, and only TWO were 3-star outta high school. Pretty strong talent to have flamed out the way it has.

All of the remaining 12 were five-star kids outta high school, and most would have made it without Pitino Lite's help. It's just an illusion that these kids succeed or get to the NBA quickly because of LPT.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Last edited:
Kids like Fox fail to realize that a whole lotta good kids come up short at LPT too. Guys like these...

Daniel Orton – Idaho Stampede NBA D-League

Darnell Dodson – Who knows where this guy is?

Jon Hood – Maybe in Italy?

Doron Lamb – Westchester Knicks NBA D-League

Stacey Poole – Transferred into the abyss

Eloy Vargas – Metros de Santiago (Dominican Rep.)

Marquis Teague – Made it but bombing out

Kyle Wiltjer – Got out while he could

Archie Goodwin – Logging half the PT he did last year with the Suns

Alex Poythress – Tee hee hee

Lee and the Twins – Tee hee hee hee hee

Willis and Hawkins – Lost KY kids

James Young – Maine Red Claws NBA D-League

And that's 16 of the 28 players (57%)--the majority IOW--that Pitino Lite has recruited at LPT. Of those 16, TEN were 5-star, FOUR were 4-star, and only TWO were 3-star outta high school. Pretty strong talent to have flamed out the way it has.

All of the remaining 12 were five-star kids outta high school, and most would have made it without Pitino Lite's help. It's just an illusion that these kids succeed or get to the NBA quickly because of LPT.

Orton - Not a Calipari recruit, left prematurely.
Dodson - When was he ever a highly touted recruit?
Hood - Again, when was he ever a highly touted recruit?
Lamb - Concede that he needs to go overseas and make 6 figures. Who is to blame here though? He was shooting 46% from deep in 2012, not sure what happened here.
Poole - Agreed, but again, not a OAD talent
Vargas - playing about to expectations, was never a highly touted recruit, and considering his role at Kentucky, he's doing pretty well for himself.
Teague - Cal suggested that he come back (because of high assists:turnover ratio), but Teague felt that his tournament play would be a difference maker, regardless, in the NBA.
Wiltjer - Probably best move for him. UK always has a high influx of talent, even AD would have been recruited over. Difference is, AD would be able to maintain minutes. Wiltjer, not so much.
Goodwin - Backup role at Phoenix (behind a bunch of UK players, I may add), and still makes nearly as much as Gorgui Dieng does. This is a negative?
Alex Poythress - Still in college. Can't penalize Poythress for something you praise all Louisville players for.
Lee - Still in college. Can't penalize Lee for something you praise all Louisville players for.
The twins - both have contracts in the NBA, let them play games before deciding their careers for them.
Willis & Hawkins - Still in college, Can't penalize them for what you praise all Louisville players for, plus, these two were never projected as NBA talents.
James Young - Incorrect, he was called up to the Celtics.

Now, the way I see it, there are 4 on this list that still have eligibility, so therefore, hard to call them "flame-outs" when they haven't even entered the draft, wouldn't you say? Would also say that the twins, Teague, Goodwin, and Young shouldn't be considered "flame-outs", because they're in the NBA today, and why count Wiltjer when he didn't even hack it out at UK?.
So let's flip the script, Zipp.

Anthony Davis - 5 year/$145,000,000 (highest paying contract of all-time, makes 2X more in a year than all Louisville players in the NBA combined make in their entire contracts currently)
John Wall - 5 year/$84,789,500
Demarcus Cousins - 4 year/$65.619,700
Eric Bledsoe - 5 year/$70,000,000
Brandon Knight - 5 year/$70,000,000
Enes Kanter - 4 year/$70,060,027

So for every actual flame-out at UK (Orton, Dodson, Hood, Lamb, Poole, and Vargas, although only Lamb was actually a highly touted recruit), there's a UK player in the NBA making top money.

You need to consider that De'Aaron Fox is a OAD type-talent. None of those flame-outs were. Cal has had two different guards with similar skills and physical attributes to Fox, and both of them are making max money in the NBA.

Also, Duke and Kansas both get similar recruiting rankings to Kentucky. How many of those players have max deals right now? 6 of them that went to Kentucky in the past 6 years have max deals. 1 player that went to Duke over the past 7 years has a max deal, and 0 players that have gone to Kansas in that time have max deals. As of today, the numbers show that it matters where to go to college as it pertains to how much you succeed in the NBA, and as of today, those numbers point to Kentucky.

Finally, what it comes down to is what De'Aaron Fox says, and he said himself "You don't want to go somewhere expecting to be a one-and-done but that coach has never had a one-and-done kid", so again, advantage Kentucky.

Reactions: Supafuzz75
I can buy that line of thinking. You have an opinion and provided some basis for it. There's no question Calipari has been the recruiting King in his time at UK, but he can't sign them all. And the current class showed he doesn't get EVERYBODY he wants, which it did seem like in years past.

That's true, but that's also only part of my point. The emphasis of my post was this quote from Fox:

"You don't want to go somewhere expecting to be a one-and-done but that coach has never had a one-and-done kid, That's why everyone wants to go to Kentucky, they want to be a one-and-done. I watch that stuff. I really think about stuff, I analyze the game and analyze what the coach does and analyze what they've done the last 10 years and stuff like that. It's great knowing what I'm coming in to."

...Now, the way I see it, there are 4 on this list that still have eligibility, so therefore, hard to call them "flame-outs" when they haven't even entered the draft, wouldn't you say? Would also say that the twins, Teague, Goodwin, and Young shouldn't be considered "flame-outs", because they're in the NBA today, and why count Wiltjer when he didn't even hack it out at UK?.
Wiltjer had to leave to be successful.

And if a 5-star guy simply makes it into the NBA and dies an early death, how is that distinguishing LPT?

The Twins came in rated 5th and 7th nationally, had to spend an extra year, and getting nothing guaranteed. LPT's done nothing for them.

Poythress came in 8th nationally, and has had to spend time in college because he wasn't developed/developing. His injury happened WHILE spending time at LPT that he didn't plan to.

All of those are valid examples of how kids come to LPT and don't improve to the point where pro ball is delivering as predicted.

...So let's flip the script, Zipp.

Anthony Davis - 5 year/$145,000,000 (highest paying contract of all-time, makes 2X more in a year than all Louisville players in the NBA combined make in their entire contracts currently)
John Wall - 5 year/$84,789,500
Demarcus Cousins - 4 year/$65.619,700
Eric Bledsoe - 5 year/$70,000,000
Brandon Knight - 5 year/$70,000,000
Enes Kanter - 4 year/$70,060,027...
Like most LPT fans, you're cherry picking the best examples, and kids who would have succeeded had they gone to college anywhere else. You gotta look at the overall body of work including kids at the other end of the spectrum. Those are the kinda stats that coaches are starting to use AGAINST Pitino Lite.

...You need to consider that De'Aaron Fox is a OAD type-talent. None of those flame-outs were...
Fox is rated 9th in his class. Poythress was 8th. The Twins were 5th and 7th. Young was 11th, and Goodwin was 14th. Teague was freaking 5th...

...Also, Duke and Kansas both get similar recruiting rankings to Kentucky...
FALSE, although LPT fans try to universally believe that stuff. And it's not even close.

In the last seven recruiting classes--Pitino Lite's years (2009-2015)--here's the total number of Rivals 5-star kids in each school's recruiting classes:

Kansas 12
Duke 13
LPT 27

That's a huge advantage in talent, it's just the results that don't show it.

Wiltjer had to leave to be successful.

And if a 5-star guy simply makes it into the NBA and dies an early death, how is that distinguishing LPT?

The Twins came in rated 5th and 7th nationally, had to spend an extra year, and getting nothing guaranteed. LPT's done nothing for them.

Poythress came in 8th nationally, and has had to spend time in college because he wasn't developed/developing. His injury happened WHILE spending time at LPT that he didn't plan to.

All of those are valid examples of how kids come to LPT and don't improve to the point where pro ball is delivering as predicted.

Like most LPT fans, you're cherry picking the best examples, and kids who would have succeeded had they gone to college anywhere else. You gotta look at the overall body of work including kids at the other end of the spectrum. Those are the kinda stats that coaches are starting to use AGAINST Pitino Lite.

Fox is rated 9th in his class. Poythress was 8th. The Twins were 5th and 7th. Young was 11th, and Goodwin was 14th. Teague was freaking 5th...

FALSE, although LPT fans try to universally believe that stuff. And it's not even close.

In the last seven recruiting classes--Pitino Lite's years (2009-2015)--here's the total number of Rivals 5-star kids in each school's recruiting classes:

Kansas 12
Duke 13
LPT 27

That's a huge advantage in talent, it's just the results that don't show it.

He left so he could get more playing time, and if you look today, he's not even in the mock drafts (if he is, it's low second round), so how much success is he finding at Gonzaga really?
The twins were ranked 5th and 7th nationally out of high school, but they were never projected as high picks. Their lack of athleticism saw to that, as well as inconsistent shooting. Consistency comes with repetition though, and that would have been the only way to raise their stock. The twins will have more repetition in the NBA, so they made the best choice for them, and are getting paid well in the process.

Poythress was ranked 8th in a class that is significantly weaker than the 2016 class. If you keep up with recruiting, you'll know that this is considered the best recruiting class since 2007 at least.
Poythress can also move back to his natural position because suddenly, small ball is a big thing in the NBA, and if he builds on his play from the Bahamas (averaging 11 and 6 in 20 minutes per game at the 4, while being an outstanding defender), he'll get drafted high.

If those are your "points", that's a shame, because every example you listed is, or will be playing in the NBA, meanwhile, Louisville has 4 contracted NBA players (Harrell currently has no contract).

Ignorant to say that the results don't show for Kentucky's recruiting, Zipp. In that time, Kentucky has a title (which does not grow on trees), 4 Final Fours, and the most wins of any program in that time period.

Does that irk you, Zipp? The fact that "Pitino-lite" as you call him (although he's statistically the superior coach at every level). Your coach had the most talented Kentucky team (which was arguably one of the most talented teams in CBB history), and he lost to Calipari, who had a mid-major team. I remember that quite clearly, though you probably don't. You seem to tune out anything that you don't like seeing or hearing.

Let's talk about Louisville's success with talented players though. Why should De'Aaron Fox go to Louisville? How does it benefit him?
Louisville hasn't had a OAD, which Fox himself said is important.

Wayne Blackshear - McDonald's All-American, won Chicago POY over Anthony Davis (Ha!), preferred size for a wing, good athleticism, failed to get on an NBA roster.

Shaqquan Aaron - 5*, 6'8 SG, You say it applies to Kentucky, it applies to Louisville too. One season, then transferred so he could have a chance at a successful career.

Chris Jones - 5* talent, best JUCO player in the class, best on-ball defender at Louisville, didn't get a look by any NBA teams.

Montrezl Harrell - Louisville's star player, drafted in the second round and has NOT received a contract yet. Playing behind a Kentucky player.

Chane Behanan - Do I need to say it? Had so much potential. Made a bad decision in going to Louisville, and now his career is over.

Zach Price - Talented player that transferred into the abyss (Winthrop).

Russ Smith - All-American guard, best guard to play at Louisville in quite some time, and is just now finding a home in the NBA this much later. I wish him the best, but the odds are against him.

Gorgui Dieng - Louisville's most successful NBA player as of today, and In comes Karl-Anthony Towns (#1 draft pick from Kentucky, but I don't need to tell you that).

Peyton Siva - LOL I still can't believe so many people here were saying he was actually better than John Wall. Ah, anyway, former McDonald's All-American, and now, no NBA career.

So, enlighten me, Zipp. How is Louisville a better decision for Fox. I can't wait to see the response to that question.

Reactions: AFSTALLION13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT