ADVERTISEMENT

Dartmouth

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Seems the effects of Covid had a much greater burden on the Dartmouth baseball program than our own. After cancelling the 2020 season like the rest of college baseball in March of that year,the Ivey League decided not to play any conference games last season and it looks like Dartmouth cancelled the whole season.
The program does have a little bit of success in its history,although not much in the last 10 years or so.

One World Series appearance in 1970 and back to back NCAA appearances in 2009-10.
Without some serious digging,one would assume that they are into a serious rebuild,although there should be some leftover guys from 2019.

First pitch 3:00 Friday

Seems the effects of Covid had a much greater burden on the Dartmouth baseball program than our own. After cancelling the 2020 season like the rest of college baseball in March of that year,the Ivey League decided not to play any conference games last season and it looks like Dartmouth cancelled the whole season.
The program does have a little bit of success in its history,although not much in the last 10 years or so.

One World Series appearance in 1970 and back to back NCAA appearances in 2009-10.
Without some serious digging,one would assume that they are into a serious rebuild,although there should be some leftover guys from 2019.

First pitch 3:00 Friday
Weather looks clear, but cold. Sun, mostly. Shouldn't be any issues. Let's get a three game sweep and start feeling better about things.

Reactions: earsky
Weather looks clear, but cold. Sun, mostly. Shouldn't be any issues. Let's get a three game sweep and start feeling better about things.
Saturday and Sunday look better by the minute. We have to get the clouds out of here tomorrow.
Flashback to last season. Losing at home to teams that are not top 150 teams really killed our chances last season.
It happened 3 times. Let's find a way to win.
Go Cards!

Reactions: Bardman and CardX
Knapczyk is looking to pull the pitches on the inner part of the plate this year.
He was always trying to hit that pitch the other way last year. It's a very different look for him and refreshing. He looks like he's seeing it really good.

Hopefully Smith,Cook,Wescott and others get a swing today.
11-0 in the 6th

Maybe that is why Lohman hadn’t pitched yet this year - can’t throw strikes.
Kind of strange. Lots of velocity on that fastball,but all over the place with it.
Breaking ball looked good. It was the only pitch he could get in the zone. Go figure.
A guy that battled his way into a weekend starting spot at the end of the year. I would think that he was being counted on for much more. I hope he's not becoming Perkins.

Totally outplayed by a team they steamrolled the day before. Where have we seen this before? Three times last year and that's part of the reason they were watching the NCAA. Can't lose at home to teams outside the top 150.
I could tell when I walked in they were flat.
Oh well,some guys never learn.

Baseball is weird. It happens but man they have a long way to go.

I want him to prove me wrong but Knap is not a shortstop at this level at least not yet. His glove is average as is his arm.

Pitching overall was good but other teams square them up way too often.

Hitting looks average to bad.

I certainly don’t think our best baseball teams are behind us. That is a reactionary take. Seriously think Knap should be at 2B. Poland, to me, is just not a Sat starter. Sunday - maybe. Long relief is probably where he should be. Still leaving too many on base in scoring position; however, a coupe of seasons ago we saw the same problem and they worked it out. Overall pitching is just average. I think as soon as my (relief) pitcher hits two innings I am automatically warming up the next guy (or two).

I certainly don’t think our best baseball teams are behind us. That is a reactionary take. Seriously think Knap should be at 2B. Poland, to me, is just not a Sat starter. Sunday - maybe. Long relief is probably where he should be. Still leaving too many on base in scoring position; however, a coupe of seasons ago we saw the same problem and they worked it out. Overall pitching is just average. I think as soon as my (relief) pitcher hits two innings I am automatically warming up the next guy (or two).
With average arms and abundance of them I agree throw them all. They can be nasty for an inning maybe two.

Reactions: Bardman
No,I said it in another thread. I think they are a year away. Sometimes it's hard to grasp that with all the success over here. They just really lack that strong Junior class to compete for an ACC championship this year,unless they're led by a bunch of really young guys. Idk
Poland another guy that is throwing the breaking ball for strikes and cannot get his fastball in the zone.

Baseball is weird. It happens but man they have a long way to go.
Exactly what I was talking about with the parent of one of the Dartmouth players today. Difference a day makes huh?
They outplayed us across the board.

I'm trying to say it without coming right out and saying it. The leaders on this team might have to end up being the youngest guys on the team. There,I'm on to the next game. Still time to prove me wrong Juniors.

Knap and Beard are both hitting which is why they’re in the lineup. You can replace Knap at SS with Anderson but then what do you do with Beard? Everyone can’t be a DH.

I have to agree there's been way too much praise for Knapp. He's a adequate shortstop at best and is not a lead-off hitter. Not for the kind of Louisville team everyone is used to.

Usher may need to be benched for a younger player. Sometimes potential just doesn't pan out. Baseball is a hard game but it's a weird game too. If you're not mentally strong when you fail, you won't get that potential back.

Poland is a midweek starter and long reliever. I like the young arms I've seen so far. Losing to Dartmouth can be overcome by beating ranked teams.

Coack McDonnell I'm sure will have the right group out there and if the players are just not Louisville good enough, he will find them next season.

I really think for this particular season to have any success,Usher has to be successful. He's the best outfielder,led the country in steals last year,probably until he was mired in a slump.
I think Coach probably feels the same way.
Idk what to think about the defensive issues in the infield
Hard to have a long leash after what we saw last year.

Usher is a perfect lead off guy if he could control his bat. I think they should spread his feet out even more. Too many moving parts. Need to simplify his swing.

Knap is a OK athlete. They have had really good athletes at that position. The flair single twisted him into the ground. That is a play that has to be made. Other guys make that look routine.

Usher is a perfect lead off guy if he could control his bat. I think they should spread his feet out even more. Too many moving parts. Need to simplify his swing.

Knap is a OK athlete. They have had really good athletes at that position. The flair single twisted him into the ground. That is a play that has to be made. Other guys make that look routine.
Leadoff has to get on base, not just have speed. Usher hasn’t demonstrated he has patience at the plate.

Reactions: rh62531
Man,wouldn't it be great to see Usher bust out? When he got on today I told the Dartmouth guy he's probably going on the first pitch.Vroom,there he went. Best in the country. He gets on at the top of the lineup and it changes everything.
Suddenly, the pitchers have to shift some of their attention off of the meat of the lineup.

IDK if Beard can play SS. Smith is the other guy who can play SS. I agree - the issue right now is Knap is hitting the ball and needs to play. Many think he is not SS material - I am in the fence about it. Arm is average (at best), fielding is ok and range is ok. Looks like 2B would be better suited; but, as mentioned what do you do? Beard has been hitting as well? Usher seemingly has awkened; but today at the plate he just wasn’t patient. They have to figure out 1B as well. Anderson - moved over to 1B. Rushing - eh, can do it but he’s in the lineup for his bat. Bianco appears to be average (not a bad thing). Wescott - maybe just needs more live game time. Looking forward to see how Phillips pitches tomorrow. The team, as a whole, has to minimize the walks - period.

The ss position over here at this program is a huge stage. I would think at some point we might see Smith get a shot there and Knap at 2nd. Maybe sooner than later. Knap definitely pressing,but he has to come out of it...soon.

Reactions: Bardman
Anderson and Smith are two possible SS’s. Anderson was the #1 rated SS in Kentucky. But can either hit more consistent than Knap? Plus they’re both FR. Beard can hit but he has made as many errors at 2nd as Knap at SS. I actually think 1st maybe a bigger issue if Rushing and Bianco aren’t hitting.

Sorry guys, this UL roster is no where close to where we have been in the past. It is true, this team has a lot of young kids, and there are a few with some talent there …… it’s just not at the same level, or numbers that we have witnessed in the CDM era.

NCST was behind 6-0, but came back and beat Q-PAC yesterday. UK was behind 12-6 to W Michigan going into the bottom of the 8th, but won 13-12 in extra innings. Conversely, we could not make up 2 runs in those 3 innings against a most challenged Dartmouth team. It will get a whole lot tougher when ACC schedule rolls around.

One of two things. Knap to second and Smith to short or Smith to 2nd base and Beard DH.
I don't expect McDonnell to make the move of replacing Knap at short...yet.
And,I don't think we contend for any hardware this year. Gonna root the team on and hope they get better thru the season.

Yeah I don't think the best is behind us either. We've seen lulls in the past,even with CDM. It's just been a while since the last lull.
As long as this team improves thru the season I'm good. Hopefully we've got a strong class signed to add to all these Freshmen and Sophomores.

Leadoff has to get on base, not just have speed. Usher hasn’t demonstrated he has patience at the plate.
I agree I don’t think he has the plate discipline. Skill wise he is completely capable of being a lead off hitter. Mentally he ties himself into knots. However that can change overnight. A small change in stance or hands can make all the difference. I remember loving my hitting coach torn it up then he wasn’t retained struggled mightily. He helped me with the mental side of hitting. Without him I just couldn’t get out of my own head.

Obviously the team crapped the bed yesterday. However, Friday and today they have done exactly what we would expect them to do against a Dartmouth squad. We didn’t see that last year. Phillips looked really good today as did all of the pitchers. Would love to know Seed’s status. IF is going to pitch and is 100% healthy that would immediately boost the rotation as he was certainly a weekend starter.

Obviously the team crapped the bed yesterday. However, Friday and today they have done exactly what we would expect them to do against a Dartmouth squad. We didn’t see that last year. Phillips looked really good today as did all of the pitchers. Would love to know Seed’s status. IF is going to pitch and is 100% healthy that would immediately boost the rotation as he was certainly a weekend starter.
McD said in postgame interview w/ @CardsPA that some arms were "coming back soon" so I assume that means Seed.

Reactions: Bardman and Deeva
Who else has been MIA?
Schmeltz, Weigman, Robinson…?

Last edited:
Seriously thinking our best baseball teams are behind us.
Defending Champion Miss St. lost at home to NKU. TheU lost to Harvard at home. Baseball is weird and 7 games is a small sample size. Agree if this continues like last year, it WILL BE a problem. That said, plenty of time to clean things up. Take care of business against Morehead and Akron and then you have quality opponents in TCU and Michigan. NKU, Bellarmine and then ACC schedule starts w/ Notre Dame -- who deserves some payback for cancelling the SUN game last year due to "high winds forecasted."

Baseball is weird and 7 games is a small sample size. Agree if this continues like last year,
This is where I'm at. Expected a learning curve with all the new faces,not the Juniors.
Really nice to see Bianco have a great game.Talk about putting in your time...

Who else has been MIA?
Schmeltz and hopefully he was referring to Lohman's gradual return last week even though he struggled. It was his first appearance. The team really needing Lohman,Seed and Schmeltz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT