ADVERTISEMENT

D'angelo Russell

TopCatCal

One-Star Poster
Dec 10, 2012
How did you UL not sign D'angelo Russell? I mean don't get me wrong, as a UK fan I'm glad you didn't sign him. But with Russell being from Louisville & with UL being a better basketball school/program than Ohio State how did you not sign him?

He couldn't be guaranteed platoon minutes.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Reactions: pervisl
The storyline I always heard was that he wanted a guaranteed starting spot and Pitino wouldn't make that promise. But, who knows, that may be typical post commitment spin. Kind of like the "he didn't have a committable offer" BS we hear at other programs.

Reactions: Mayoman
For the record, I'm responding to the UofL posters in this thread and not the troll OP.

Ohio St has a great basketball program and a great head coach. The chance to be the man at a program like that has more appeal than being part of a "Big 3" at UofL. He got 35 minutes and 15 shots per night at OSU. He's not getting that at UofL. As a result, he got a 6th place finish in the B1G and 2nd round exit instead of a potential shot at the National Championship. Those were his priorities. Hard to say he made the wrong decision considering his individual success at OSU and the paycheck he's about to make.

...As a result, he got a 6th place finish in the B1G and 2nd round exit instead of a potential shot at the National Championship...
This is also the reason, despite what a few U of L fans think, that DR wasn't sorely missed by U of L. Simply put, not L1C4 material.

As Rye said, he went to the right school.

This is also the reason, despite what a few U of L fans think, that DR wasn't sorely missed by U of L. Simply put, not L1C4 material.

I dunno about that. Russell is a program changing player for schools like UofL, Michigan State (2nd tier, behind the blue bloods). He has the kind of talent that elevates those programs, outside of the 1 year that he'll spend in college (where you'll see immediate benefits, like a Final Four, potentially a national title). Gives you the ability to market your program much better when a player like him gets drafted as high as he's going to. Not sure tOSU is going to see those results because they're not necessarily close to a blue blood status, or even second tier, in my opinion. Ohio State is still going to be a fairly tough sell for elite recruits.

Will also add, on the other hand, players like Russell are the kind of players that paint any & all OAD kids in a bad light. Incredibly egotistical, very cocky, which supposedly turned off a lot of NBA staffers. Have to imagine that it turned off several college coaches as well, which may be a good reason why he went to Ohio State. He just sounds entitled, and up to that point, he never really earned it.

Will also add, on the other hand, players like Russell are the kind of players that paint any & all OAD kids in a bad light. Incredibly egotistical, very cocky, which supposedly turned off a lot of NBA staffers. Have to imagine that it turned off several college coaches as well, which may be a good reason why he went to Ohio State. He just sounds entitled, and up to that point, he never really earned it.
He just was just the typical OAD !

How did you UL not sign D'angelo Russell? I mean don't get me wrong, as a UK fan I'm glad you didn't sign him. But with Russell being from Louisville & with UL being a better basketball school/program than Ohio State how did you not sign him?

I recall during a telecast of a OSU game, the announcers said he meshed with Matta more than Pitino. It happens. Cal misses out on recruits, too.

Rocky thats what makes me like you man. We have a lot in common. Great reply.
Cheers!!!

the tude of DR is out of control. I hope he has the career he believes he is going to have at the next level.

Last edited:
Gotta remember, an LPT fan is always gonna see the upside in a OAD kid.

And the 2nd tier reference is accurate with respect to landing OAD kids. They prefer to go to a school where they won't have to work too hard in class and in practice, yet still get guaranteed playing time. One school is renowned for those things.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I recall during a telecast of a OSU game, the announcers said he meshed with Matta more than Pitino. It happens. Cal misses out on recruits, too.

Just because telecast announcers said something doesn't make it true. They quite often spin the truth as well. I would bet that talking down a star for his general attitude would not be good for one's announcing career.

Rhavicc, it is 8-3, but I'm not considered young and it's 4-3 in my lifetime. Uk's first 4 were when you only had to play a couple of games and the NIT was considered the premier tournament when UK won its first 2. Again, it is 8-3 but it isn't like UK wins much more often than we do in the last 40 years.

Last edited:
Since the Rupp years , U of K has gone to 11 final fours with three National Champioships whereas U of L has gone to ten Final Fours with three National Champioships. When Rupp won his division I Champioships in 1948, the division II championship was one by . . . Louisville. They were hardly on ths same playing field until the mid-to-late 50's. In fact, U Conn has won as many Champioships as UK since the Rupp years with Duke and UCLA having won more.

Rhavicc, it is 8-3, but I'm not considered young and it's 4-3 in my lifetime. Uk's first 4 were when you only had to play a couple of games and the NIT was considered the premier tournament when UK won its first 2. Again, it is 8-3 but it isn't like UK wins more often than we do in the last 40 years.

So what is it that you're suggesting? Simply because it doesn't fit your time-frame, UK's success should be penalized? In fairness to the NIT comment, UK also has an NIT title and runner-up in that period as well.

But aside from the titles, look at the other statistics in a pro-Louisville, 40 year time frame, and we'll pretend that basketball has only existed since 1975, although we both know otherwise.

Kentucky wins: 1084
Louisville wins: 973

Kentucky losses: 315
Louisville losses: 402

Kentucky vs Louisville head-to-head games: Kentucky leads series 24-12

Kentucky tournament appearances: 34
Louisville tournament appearances: 33

Kentucky tournament wins: 91
Louisville tournament wins: 65

Kentucky vs Louisville head-to-head NCAA tournament games: Kentucky leads series 3-1

Kentucky NCAA runner-up: 3
Louisville NCAA runner-up: 0

Kentucky NCAA final four: 11
Louisville NCAA final four: 8

Kentucky NCAA elite eight: 20
Louisville NCAA elite eight: 12

Kentucky NCAA sweet sixteen: 24
Louisville NCAA sweet sixteen: 21

Kentucky conference tournament champs: 15
Louisville conference tournament champs: 17

Kentucky conference regular season champs: 18
Louisville conference regular season champs: 17

Kentucky years in basketball power conference: 40 (SEC)
Louisville years in basketball power conference: 9 (8 in Big East & 1 in ACC)

And before anybody wants to take a hack at the SEC, we'll review a few things.

Since 1999, the conference RPI rankings, on average, are as followed:

ACC: 3.1
Big East: 3.5
SEC: 3.8
AAC: 8.0
Conference USA: 9.1

The average team RPI rankings:

ACC: 66.3
SEC: 69.4
Big East: 71.2
AAC: 107.0
Conference USA: 124.6

Conference OOC win%:

ACC: 75.5%
Big East: 73.7%
SEC: 71.0%
AAC: 70.2%
Conference USA: 61.5%

So Kentucky has been playing similar competition to that of Louisville in its conference schedule (while Louisville is in a power conference) statistically. The SEC, while not an outstanding basketball conference, is still markedly better than Louisville's old conferences (which were not power conferences), where Louisville accumulated 733 of their 973 wins in that 40 year window.

Kentucky leads Louisville in 12 of the 13 categories, with Louisville's lone category that it leads Kentucky in being conference tournament championships. where Louisville won at least 12 of their conference tournaments in a non-power conference.

Since the Rupp years , U of K has gone to 11 final fours with three National Champioships whereas U of L has gone to ten Final Fours with three National Champioships. When Rupp won his division I Champioships in 1948, the division II championship was one by . . . Louisville. They were hardly on ths same playing field until the mid-to-late 50's. In fact, U Conn has won as many Champioships as UK since the Rupp years with Duke and UCLA having won more.

Actually, UK won 4 since the Rupp years. That said though, Louisville won 1 DII championship by the time Kentucky under Rupp won his 1st national title in 1948, but he also proceeded to win the next 2 D1 national titles, and one more in 1958.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still having trouble with this second tier business.who else is " top tier " besides the almighty Wildcats?

Thanks for using stats to backup your argument Rhavicc. Clearly UK has the more successful all time program, but the gap isn't nearly as wide as most UK fans like to think.

UK, Duke, UNC, KU, IU, and UCLA are the top tier historically. In recent years - UK, Duke, UConn, UofL, and KU make up the top tier.

It's ridiculous that LPT is all in on basketball with no more to show for it than it has. Everything is subordinated to basketball. The vast majority of LPT fans want it that way, and the administration--even the LPT football coach--doesn't dare challenge the status quo. You'd think sacrificing everything at the altar of basketball would net more than a championship maybe every decade. Let's hope that narrow-minded thinking continues.

So what is it that you're suggesting? Simply because it doesn't fit your time-frame, UK's success should be penalized? In fairness to the NIT comment, UK also has an NIT title and runner-up in that period as well.

But aside from the titles, look at the other statistics in a pro-Louisville, 40 year time frame, and we'll pretend that basketball has only existed since 1975, although we both know otherwise.

Kentucky wins: 1084
Louisville wins: 973

Kentucky losses: 315
Louisville losses: 402

Kentucky vs Louisville head-to-head games: Kentucky leads series 24-12

Kentucky tournament appearances: 34
Louisville tournament appearances: 33

Kentucky tournament wins: 91
Louisville tournament wins: 65

Kentucky vs Louisville head-to-head NCAA tournament games: Kentucky leads series 3-1

Kentucky NCAA runner-up: 3
Louisville NCAA runner-up: 0

Kentucky NCAA final four: 11
Louisville NCAA final four: 8

Kentucky NCAA elite eight: 20
Louisville NCAA elite eight: 12

Kentucky NCAA sweet sixteen: 24
Louisville NCAA sweet sixteen: 21

Kentucky conference tournament champs: 15
Louisville conference tournament champs: 17

Kentucky conference regular season champs: 18
Louisville conference regular season champs: 17

Kentucky years in basketball power conference: 40 (SEC)
Louisville years in basketball power conference: 9 (8 in Big East & 1 in ACC)

And before anybody wants to take a hack at the SEC, we'll review a few things.

Since 1999, the conference RPI rankings, on average, are as followed:

ACC: 3.1
Big East: 3.5
SEC: 3.8
AAC: 8.0
Conference USA: 9.1

The average team RPI rankings:

ACC: 66.3
SEC: 69.4
Big East: 71.2
AAC: 107.0
Conference USA: 124.6

Conference OOC win%:

ACC: 75.5%
Big East: 73.7%
SEC: 71.0%
AAC: 70.2%
Conference USA: 61.5%

So Kentucky has been playing similar competition to that of Louisville in its conference schedule (while Louisville is in a power conference) statistically. The SEC, while not an outstanding basketball conference, is still markedly better than Louisville's old conferences (which were not power conferences), where Louisville accumulated 733 of their 973 wins in that 40 year window.

Kentucky leads Louisville in 12 of the 13 categories, with Louisville's lone category that it leads Kentucky in being conference tournament championships. where Louisville won at least 12 of their conference tournaments in a non-power conference.

Interesting that you chose the year 1975. In doing so you have omitted our membership in the MVC. It may not look like much today, but in the 50's and 60's it was very much a power conference in BB, filled with teams nobody wanted to play. UC, Bradley, Wichita State, St. Louis, Drake, Memphis State and the Cards. Not the level of the ACC, but neighboring Big 10 and Big Eight schools refused to play them. Granted, after the original Metro broke up, reformed or whatever we were in poor company conference wise until our admittance to the Big East. Super for BB, but the FB suffered. Thank Heavens for the ACC!

It's ridiculous that LPT is all in on basketball with no more to show for it than it has. Everything is subordinated to basketball. The vast majority of LPT fans want it that way, and the administration--even the LPT football coach--doesn't dare challenge the status quo. You'd think sacrificing everything at the altar of basketball would net more than a championship maybe every decade. Let's hope that narrow-minded thinking continues.

Zipp, weren't you stating a few months ago that due the the one-and-out nature of NCAA tournament, the results were a fluke and not a measure of success?

And another thread turns into a pissing match.

thanks, Rhivacc for ruining another discussion.

I'm just responding to the comments towards me appropriately. Apologize if you don't agree with my sentiment, it is what it is though.

Interesting that you chose the year 1975. In doing so you have omitted our membership in the MVC. It may not look like much today, but in the 50's and 60's it was very much a power conference in BB, filled with teams nobody wanted to play. UC, Bradley, Wichita State, St. Louis, Drake, Memphis State and the Cards. Not the level of the ACC, but neighboring Big 10 and Big Eight schools refused to play them. Granted, after the original Metro broke up, reformed or whatever we were in poor company conference wise until our admittance to the Big East. Super for BB, but the FB suffered. Thank Heavens for the ACC!

I went back 40 years because that's the time-frame that I was given (suggested by rockycard), so I wouldn't call it interesting that I picked that timeframe. Never heard anything that ever indicated that the MVC was a power conference. If you have anything that supports that belief, I would welcome it for the sake of interest.

Still having trouble with this second tier business.who else is " top tier " besides the almighty Wildcats?

Duke, Kansas, with UNC*** being in the air at the moment. If they lose titles and a large chunk of wins, it's hard to support a claim as a blue blood.
Blue bloods are blue bloods for a reason. Long-standing success being a big one. Louisville could get into that group if it stays consistent, and is a basketball power in a power conference. But right now, you can't argue that it's an all-time great program. It's just a currently great program, which is still, well, great.

Yeah. He spends his summers hanging out on 2nd tier basketball program message boards. Sure thing.

You may have "2nd tier" confused with "2nd rate".

Zipp, weren't you stating a few months ago that due the the one-and-out nature of NCAA tournament, the results were a fluke and not a measure of success?

That he did. That clearly only applies to Louisville though.

Thanks for using stats to backup your argument Rhavicc. Clearly UK has the more successful all time program, but the gap isn't nearly as wide as most UK fans like to think.

UK, Duke, UNC, KU, IU, and UCLA are the top tier historically. In recent years - UK, Duke, UConn, UofL, and KU make up the top tier.

I can agree with this. When I speak of being a top-tier program, it's in regards to all-time. Louisville has had a lot of recent success though.

I can agree with this. When I speak of being a top-tier program, it's in regards to all-time. Louisville has had a lot of recent success though.
UofL was the most successfull program in the 80's. Their success isn't restricted to recent.

That's the way I feel, but not the average fan. Certainly not LPT fans. And we don't let them forget that.

OneEarWonder said:

That he did. That clearly only applies to Louisville though...
No, it applies to how I think and what I see.

LPT fans wouldn't agree with that POV. Everything in this world boils down to how many NCAA basketball championships you have. And LPT is where it is.

Rhavicc, just google the MVC history and come back and report what you find out. How many NC's does a conference have to have to be considered a power back in its relevant time frame? How many FF teams does it need to have?

Here is a hint: UCinn - 2 NC's out of the MVC......then there is Oklahoma A&M (now OK St and they were in the MVC at one time) and Bradley.....do a little research before making an outlandish comment about that leagues history.

If you want to count Rupp's achievements at uk....then those schools warrant similar recognition no matter what conference they were in back in those days. Yes or Yes?

Ohio State is still going to be a fairly tough sell for elite recruits.

So you're saying Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Daequan Cook, Jared Sullinger, DeShaun Thomas, BJ Mullens, Kosta Koufos, and now D'Angelo didn't actually go to Ohio St.

That's a pretty long list of elite prospects that were sold on Ohio St. All 5 stars. Some of them were top 5 @ their position.

Buford was another 5 star, and they just landed JaQuan Lyle, another 5 star.

They are pulling on average, about one elite player a year.

Your statement above is asinine. They are actually a landing spot for a # of OAD and/or early entry to the NBA talent. Six of those were OAD.

Hilarious!

Last edited:
Reactions: J-Rye_UL

Ignorance gone to seed and taking root,

"Zipp, weren't you stating a few months ago that due to the one-and-out nature of NCAA tournament, the results were a fluke and not a measure of success?"

Yes, he was....especially when talking about the 2012 National Championship.

"Zipp, weren't you stating a few months ago that due to the one-and-out nature of NCAA tournament, the results were a fluke and not a measure of success?"

Yes, he was....especially when talking about the 2012 National Championship.
LMAO!! King of the blue holes you just can't help yourself post after post, you are one total rube !! LMAO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT