ADVERTISEMENT

Damian Lee-welcome to the Ville

I'm firmly in the "I like this signing" camp. I wonder if Louisville is the first team to sign 2 degree transfers in the same year? Maybe this is a shrewd new innovation Pitino is out in front on.

Reactions: pervisl
Zipp - Perspective? What has been posted by fans in this thread is not flying off the handle. It's a big time signing of a guy where we beat out some top shelf programs in next season's top 10 poll. He said he's choosing a school based on who he thinks can get him to a FF, so fans have a right to be happy about this signing.

We lost nearly our entire team, so now that we have signed a coveted player, fans have to keep excitement it in check?

Ok everybody let's hope this guy gets 6 ppg, goes from 88% FT to 32% FT and gets kicked off the team for insubordination!!!!!! Perspective guys!

Sounds like a good idea. If the UofL football team scores a TD on it's opening drive vs Auburn be sure to tell all your fellow $ giving fans in your section to sit down and keep their emotions in check, the game is 4 quarters!

I just know we have spent some time in the past few years lamenting our outside shooting. Even the Championship team was not a "great shooting team" always. They were just great at everything else, and had chemistry off the charts.......We may finally have a team where that can light up the scoreboard

I hope both of these guys work out, both look like good ads on paper, but, they're in for some serious culture shock, the competition level is much stronger here, the coaching is much tougher (defense first) and the expectations are higher, if these guys can deal with all that they'll be fine, but as we've seen by the revolving door of our roster a lot of guys can't cut it. We'll see if these guys can, I hope they do.

***Watch the name calling.
*** Keep in mind you're a guest here, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
...as I said before....strangely enough, Zipp is the only one among you making any sense. You guys getting excited over human 'band aids' to try to get you to a successful season next year.... hilarious.

...as I said before....strangely enough, Zipp is the only one among you making any sense. You guys getting excited over human 'band aids' to try to get you to a successful season next year.... hilarious.
This is hilarious
On Friday, Malik Newman added another accomplishment to his lengthy resume. The Callaway star became the highest-rated player to sign, commit and play for the Mississippi State Bulldogs. The uk holes who were up until today's announcement sobering over the thought of him choosing ukay are now trashing the young man and Mississippi State on their messages board!! What a bunch of sad pathetic "HOLES"

He's going where.........DAMN!!

10428040_543015299140109_6938663413276308083_n.jpg

It will be interesting to see how all the new players blend in with RP's style. Call 'em one-and-dones or done-and-ones, either way, they are one-year transitional players. Good way to plug gaps... but traditionally, it takes players a year or more to adapt to RP...

I expect lots of struggles early on, but still primed for a post season run.

This is hilarious
On Friday, Malik Newman added another accomplishment to his lengthy resume. The Callaway star became the highest-rated player to sign, commit and play for the Mississippi State Bulldogs. The uk holes who were up until today's announcement sobering over the thought of him choosing ukay are now trashing the young man and Mississippi State on their messages board!! What a bunch of sad pathetic "HOLES"

He's going where.........DAMN!!

10428040_543015299140109_6938663413276308083_n.jpg
Top Louisville basketball recruiting target Maverick Rowan, a high school junior, prefers to skip a grade and join the recruiting class of 2015, making him eligible for college ball next season, and his family is seriously exploring ways to make it happen, his father said.

"If we can make it happen, that's definitely an option," Ron Rowan said. "… He's ready (for college)."

U of L coach Rick Pitino visited Rowan and his mother Tuesday in Fort Lauderdale. Ron Rowan was away in Pennsylvania but was told it went well and the option of reclassifying was discussed. The family has been looking into the possibility of reclassifying since the end of Maverick's junior season a month ago.

Pitino has said adding shooters to next year's roster will be key for the Cardinals to remain at a high contending level, so the chance to bring in a sharpshooter like the 6-foot-7 Rowan, who averaged 28.2 points for state champion Cardinal Gibbons High (32-1), would be huge news.

Asked if Louisville would be a strong option for his son if he moves to 2015, Ron Rowan said, "Yes, that's safe to say."

Maverick Rowan
SF, OBC: A standout at Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) Cardinal Gibbons standout, Rowan is known for his ability to shoot the ball from three. And at 6-foot-7, he has terrific size for a guy that shoots as pretty of a shot that Rowan does. He showed off his range and shot this weekend, but he also showed his game is much more than that. A tough, scrappy player, Rowan isn’t afraid to mix it up. He hunts mid-range jumpers, will grab boards and doesn’t shy away from physical play. There are questions regards what class he ends up and the truth is from an evaluation standpoint it doesn’t matter. He’s one of the better wings in the country regardless of class.

1 Cardiotonic, 14 minutes ago

It's possible the two transfers could adjust quickly to Pitino's system. These are older guys who are presumably more mature than the average freshman. We know they're mature enough and disciplined enough to earn an undergraduate degree.

"I expect lots of struggles early on, but still primed for a post season run."

THIS! With Willard back, and the Puerto Rico trip, by March this team should be dangerous....and fun to watch.

It will be interesting to see how all the new players blend in with RP's style. Call 'em one-and-dones or done-and-ones, either way, they are one-year transitional players. Good way to plug gaps... but traditionally, it takes players a year or more to adapt to RP...

I expect lots of struggles early on, but still primed for a post season run.
This is the year for the extra time needed to blend in with CRP's system. The summer games i Puerto Rico are great for that.

It's possible the two transfers could adjust quickly to Pitino's system...
If Pitino changes HIS system, possibly.

How quickly did Luke make that adjustment?...Barely in time. Esp. considering these guys only get one year. Better if Pitino changes a little of what he does, not the player.

Almost no one comes here and excels quickly. Not a freshman or a transfer. Most of us have been fans long enough to know that.

I'll say it again, most of it apparently for hop's benefit... Optimism is great. Exuberance is OK. Lofty expectations are questionable. And resulting disappointment if we come up short is misplaced.

Let me hear it after the fact, and I'll remind you of that...

How quickly did Luke make that adjustment?...Barely in time. Esp. considering these guys only get one year. Better if Pitino changes a little of what he does, not the player.

Almost no one comes here and excels quickly. Not a freshman or a transfer. Most of us have been fans long enough to know that.

I'll say it again, most of it apparently for hop's benefit... Optimism is great. Exuberance is OK. Lofty expectations are questionable. And resulting disappointment if we come up short is misplaced.

Luke also had a year after he transferred

Last edited:

You can't compare Luke to these guys. They are different type of players than Luke. Luke sat out one year. Yes , he practiced with team, but its different sitting out a year and come back without some adjustment. Luke was really unknown. Nobody knew of him Like these two 5th year transfers who will not miss a beat.

This team is 100 times better with these two coming in next season. These are not just transfers they are top tier transfers GUARDS!. They could start at almost any school. That's why they were recruited so hard. The issue will not be at the 1,2, or 3 . The 4 and 5 position is the key to season.

I like this team. It will be really good, Not at the level of NC. I think it top 4 in ACC, biggest lost is Harrell. Guard play just got better overall!

Coach Luke hit a game winning shot vs Ohio St in the 1st Rd of the NCAAs for George Mason, he wasn't a complete unknown.

That said, you bring up a great point in regards to him sitting out a full year and being rusty, where the other guys are in shape. Nice point.

hop, not sure what the Larry David reference means... But in this space, "going against the grain" is redundant with "maintaining perspective". Maybe that's because it's populated mostly by fans which is obviously short for fanatics.

Too many posters here gravitate to extremes, and that's not my style. I'm here telling sunshine pumpers to slow down, and b!tchers and whiners to show me facts and hard data. Neither faction can do that very well.

And life doesn't work that way either. Most teams lose their last game even with great players and coaches. As long as they're working hard, I'm OK with wherever that hard work takes us. I've paid a lot of money in my lifetime to watch U of L teams compete. And I'm not entitled to anything more than that...

It all depends on what position on the team we are talking about. With respect guards, I'd take a done-and-one over a one-and-done any day. Now, with respect to the big guys, the one-and-dones are the way to go because if the big guys aren't ready from the get-go, you generally don't get good production out of them until Jr/Sr year. If we have either of these transfer guys this year as opposed to next year, we'd be in the championship game.

Like everyone in this country except you, our fanbase is salivating over having experienced guards with proven production against Div I level competition on our roster for next year. We have the horses for CRP to play the style of basketball that UL is known for.

Last edited:
I'm more in line with Zipp's perspective on this one. I'm excited to see UofL sign a couple players who can fill the gap for us, but I do not expect them to come in and light it up like Dean and Garcia. It's just not going to happen to the extent that some are expecting. Luke Hancock averaged 10pt/4reb/4ast for a George Mason team that was much better than the teams these guys are coming from. And Luke was part of the program for nearly 2 1/2 year before the majority of UofL fans started to see his value. Lee and Lewis won't be playing the same roles that they did for their previous teams, and their numbers will take a hit. They will be solid for us, but we have a team full of VERY inexperienced players in a system that traditionally takes a lot of experience to run successfully. I'll be happy to get a bye in the ACC tournament with a shot at a 7 seed in the NCAAT.

I think Lee, Lewis, Snider, and Mitchell will be very good players next year. Johnson, Onuaku, Mahmoud, Mathiang, and Adel should be solid contributors too. I just want to see this team grow next year, because Lee and Lewis will gone and we'll be searching for scorers again next year. I haven't seen an incoming guard for UofL like Donnovan Mitchell. I think he will be the difference between a solid season and a great one - we could be talking about losing our top 3 scorers next year if Mitchell is ready for the next level.

I wanted to point out something about Luke Hancock that others are leaving out. While it is true Luke had more time with the Cards, the main reason most people didn't "see his true value" at first was because of those shoulder injuries he had. Those injuries heavily affected his shooting and game early on. I remember him saying that he couldn't even lift his arms entirely above his head and had to work through the scar tissue in his shoulders.

I agree with some of the posts saying not to put too much expectations on the 5th year transfers. I'm cautiously optimistic about them and this team, and I know there will be bumps in the road, but I'm still very glad we signed Lee and Lewis.

Last edited:
Posted by Zipp:

Better if Pitino changes a little of what he does.
^^^^^^^^
I would rate the chances of this happening about the same as me winning the Power ball this week.

Posted by Zipp:

Better if Pitino changes a little of what he does.
^^^^^^^^
I would rate the chances of this happening about the same as me winning the Power ball this week.
Never know. He backed off his fixation on defense the last part of this year (whether he actually did that or not is another question). And he knows what he's up against bringing in one-year guys intentionally.

I give credit to Pitino for being smart enough to figure things out and trying to stay current with his thinking and methods. We'll see if that translates to success with these guys and how much. Sure can't EXPECT that to happen however...

Reactions: Mayoman
The point about Luke's injury is well taken. Offsetting that, however, is that he had the benefit of an extra year learning Pitino's system while sitting out and not playing.

And if you can believe Pitino on this stuff, Luke had basketball skills about as advanced as any guy he had coached. Not hearing quite those superlatives about Lee and Lewis...

Not hearing quite those superlatives about Lee and Lewis...

To be fair, Pitino hasn't held any practices, scrimmages, or games with Lee and/or Lewis.

Maybe Rick is being more careful w/ the superalitves before they play style after his comments about Marra.

Well Pitino did say Donnovan Mitchell has Siva's head and TWill's athleticism ... so we have that going for us.

"J-Rye_UL, post: 49185, member: 2496"]
Well Pitino did say Donnovan Mitchell has Siva's head and TWill's athleticism ... so we have that going for us.

I think we've all heard enough Pitino quotes on players to know that that comment means about as much as "Mike Marra is the best shooter in the history of basketball".

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Yeah, that was the joke - Pitino's kiss of death haha. I gotta say though, from the 20 minutes I've seen of him in the all star games, he has Siva's infectious smile and the dude can fly. I haven't been this excited about freshman since Samardo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT