ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Ray

My brother in law is a regional scout for the Mariners and always gushed about Corey Ray while he was in college. It's crazy to me that he couldn't put it all together in pro-ball, he was so fun watch for us. Props to him for having the wherewithal to hang it up and pursue life after baseball

I've told this story a number of times, but one of the fondest memories I have with my kids was Ray's steal of home to beat Wake Forest. Second game of one of those weather forced doubleheaders and the wife was on the West Coast so had the kids there for both games eating the kind of ballpark food my wife would have a coronary over if she was with us. We moved behind the plate I think in the seventh inning and proceeded to see some punch-and-Judy .190 hitter for Wake Forest take Burdi out on a 100 mph fastball and you can clearly see my kids jumping up and down behind the plate when Ray slid across the plate...ESPN led their Saturday night 11:00 SportsCenter with Sean Moth's call of the play. Saw Will Smith after the game when we were knocking back some wings at that Beef O'Brady's across from Jim Patterson. They don't keep up with baseball on a day-to-day level, but they'll always ask about Smith's line with the Dodgers.

Reactions: earsky
Just saw where the former Cards great retired. He had one plate appearance in the big show and walked. What a shame. Was sure he would be a major leaguer.
Just goes to show how hard it is to make it and/or stay in the bigs. It's a grind. And, you know, it takes more than talent. Timing, luck, the needs of an organization, there are other factors involved. But, Ray was a hell of a ball player. I guess when you know it's time to move on, you know.

A few years back I asked Coach MAC about him and he said the issue was health. He just never got 100% healthy. He was a great player on defense and offense Got Cards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT