ADVERTISEMENT

Comments On Matz Stockman

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Matz Stockman: Another foreign 7-footer, the Norwegian is still a work in progress, Pitino said. "He's a little behind because basketball isn't his first language. It's almost like speaking a second language to him." I asked if there's a chance Stockman plays next season, obviously accounting for the fact that it's June, and the season won't start for another five months. "I really can't tell," Pitino said. "In drills, we've become high on him."

One of the biggest question marks on this upcoming team. Not sure if it will be a repeat of his freshman season or if Matz will be able to provide a few back up minutes this year.

Matz Stockman: Another foreign 7-footer, the Norwegian is still a work in progress, Pitino said. "He's a little behind because basketball isn't his first language. It's almost like speaking a second language to him." I asked if there's a chance Stockman plays next season, obviously accounting for the fact that it's June, and the season won't start for another five months. "I really can't tell," Pitino said. "In drills, we've become high on him."

One of the biggest question marks on this upcoming team. Not sure if it will be a repeat of his freshman season or if Matz will be able to provide a few back up minutes this year.
I just don't see the minutes for him. Onuaku, Anas, and Mangok will be vying for minutes, and need all the time they can earn.

I just don't see the minutes for him. Onuaku, Anas, and Mangok will be vying for minutes, and need all the time they can earn.

Yeah, at this point in time Matz seems sort of like the odd man out. I guess we'll see if he breaks the rotation at all this season.

I think he needs a RS. This guy is one big dude.

Let's be real for a minute. The C position has been underwhelming overall the last couple years. I'm hoping for some strides here, but if the guys struggle early in the year I would not be surprised if Rick just put Stockman in and gave him a chance.

So I guess what I'm hoping for is no Stockman then.

Damn.

I see it different than most. Stockman is big and he can run. You can not underestimate the advantage of height.

His coordination is good and he actually dunks the ball as opposed to the one foot layups that our other bigs love to miss.

All of our bigs would benefit from having rest in the game by a solid backup playing quality minutes.

We need our big guy to give us 10 minutes a game throughout the year so when tourney time rolls around he is ready to contribute.

Not having any bigs develop last year led to Trez being tired the second half of the season logging too many minutes.

The MSU game highlighted that fact.

I think he needs a RS. This guy is one big dude.

Let's be real for a minute. The C position has been underwhelming overall the last couple years. I'm hoping for some strides here, but if the guys struggle early in the year I would not be surprised if Rick just put Stockman in and gave him a chance.

So I guess what I'm hoping for is no Stockman then.

Damn.
Stockman had his redshirt year in 2014-15.

Updated comments from Stockman:

"I just had to work on everything," Stockman said. "But now that I have one year of playing experience and I know how it feels. I know what to expect now and I just need to keep learning."

Stockman, who only played in four games as a true freshman, said he would "definitely" feel his improvement.

"I think I got better during the season," Stockman said. "I feel like if I keep working that I can come in next year and really help out our team. I feel like I learned a lot from last year but I'm excited to get out there and play."

Having not faced the level of competition as the rest of his signing class, Stockman came to U of L and needed to add weight and become accustomed to the physicality of the game in the U.S., along with adjusting to the American culture.

The off-the-court adjustment came quick and easy and now Stockman said his game is coming along with it.

"I feel like I can help out," he said.

You can not teach height that is true, but to teach or hope he picks up the culture in one year is asking a lot IMO. Now for me personally I would like to see are bigs not wearing small numbers as well as all these arm/leg warmer sleeves etc. I know that sounds a bit off topic but that is just me and my opinion. I think if the strength and conditioning coaches can build some strength into Stockman's upper torso especially that would be huge. The young man IMO looks like he has never been in a weight room before, but hopefully they can transform him body wise, and then maybe he will be able to give us 8 - 10 minutes a game.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I see it different than most. Stockman is big and he can run. You can not underestimate the advantage of height.

His coordination is good and he actually dunks the ball as opposed to the one foot layups that our other bigs love to miss.

All of our bigs would benefit from having rest in the game by a solid backup playing quality minutes.

We need our big guy to give us 10 minutes a game throughout the year so when tourney time rolls around he is ready to contribute.

Not having any bigs develop last year led to Trez being tired the second half of the season logging too many minutes.

The MSU game highlighted that fact.
It is hard to tell what Matz will do. He was injured for part of the season and I don't recall (m)any dunks by in the few minutes he was in.
Clearly Trez was gassed by the end of the season. I hope the NBA did not forget what he did earlier. There was a replay of the Indiana game on a couple weeks ago. Trez scored 6 points (all 2's) in 30 seconds and was super dominant.the whole game. Mangok had a good game and that contributed Harrell's dominance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT