ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson guy needing some help.

SHillTIger

700+
May 1, 2013
Ok guys im planning on making the trip up this season with my best friend from high school. What I need from you guys are some places to stay close to the stadium and some cant miss places to see(and eat) while im in town. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. Also where is the best place to get tickets? From Clemson? Louisville? or third party vendor.

Ok guys im planning on making the trip up this season with my best friend from high school. What I need from you guys are some places to stay close to the stadium and some cant miss places to see(and eat) while im in town. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. Also where is the best place to get tickets? From Clemson? Louisville? or third party vendor.
Glad you plan on making the trip. Come early and enjoy yourselves. The game will undoubtedly be a sell-out. I suggest you buy your tickets from Clemson. All kinds of great places to stay depending on your pocketbook. The stadium is within a short cab drive from the Riverfront. Actually you can walk if absolutely necessary. We have a Hyatt and Marriott downtown as well the Galt House and Brown Hotel. These are a little expensive but nice. Many more options. Enjoy your visit. (We don't plan on losing to you guys this year!)

Not much activity close to Papa John. Not where I'd want to enjoy my stay in the Ville. I'd stay downtown for great food and drinks. Tailgate with Cards fans.

I'd stay near the stadium, commute to restaurants, bars, etc. I'd rather have the convenience of being close to the stadium pre and post game!

Hilton Garden Inn airport is a short walk away. That is probably the closest and best bet hotel wise to the stadium. If you want to enjoy Louisville then stay downtown at the Seelbach. Right in the action.

While you're visiting, you should experience The Highlands, a very eclectic area of bars, cafes, restaurants and shops on Baxter Ave / Bardstown Rd. Have a pizza at Wicks and a burger at Bunz.

Staying by the stadium is not experiencing Louisville but it does make things convenient for you, there is a lot to do and see in Louisville. If I were you I would stay downtown because there is a lot to do and then I would tailgate with UL fans. You will find our fans very friendly, I would make friends exchange information and next year get an invite to the Kentucky Derby. If you can do that stay the whole week and then you will experience Louisville.

Hope you enjoy Louisville as much as we enjoyed Clemson! Staying downtown would put you close to the Waterfront, Louisville Slugger Museum, Derby Museum, not too far from the Highlands and of course U of L. One of our favorite places to eat is Jack Fry's...not inexpensive but truly a Louisville tradition! Lots of Bourbon Bars around and if you come early enough you could travel and hit a few of the distilleries on the Bourbon Trail. Another favorite place to eat breakfast or lunch is The Cafe between downtown and the Highlands. Very reasonable with large portions. People have given you a wide variety of choices. You should have a good time in Lou a vul!

It just depends on what you want in your hotel stay...close to the stadium or close to things to do? There are a couple of descent hotels near the stadium you can walk from. Doc crows and muscles and burgers for food!

I think others have already given you several hotel options near the stadium.

I'd suggest going to the riverfront and visiting that area, parking and checking out the huge lawn and river view there and walking across the Big Four Bridge. Eating dinner on the Indiana side is a wonderful view. You can take a ride on the Bell of Louisville paddle boat or eat at Joe's Crab shack right on the river. The Indiana side (right on the river) has Kingfish, Buckhead Mountain Grill and Rocky's Sub Hub and right by the walking bridge there is Olive Leaf Bistro, Big Four Burgers, the Red Yeti and in downtown Louisville the Nulu area has lots of cool restaurants. Also, parking and taking a walk along Frankfort Avenue and/or Bardstown Road (where Bardstown Rd. meets Baxter Avenue), there are tons of cool local shops and local restaurants there. 4th Street Live is a cool place to visit and eat. There is the Churchill Downs Museum (located at Churchill Downs) to visit, the Mohammed Ali Museum, and the Slugger Museum.

http://www.louisvillewaterfront.com/projects/big_four/

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/51/46489/Louisville/NULU-East-Market-District-restaurants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Highlands,_Louisville

http://www.churchilldowns.com/visit-us/guest-services/kentucky-derby-museum

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ugger_Museum_Factory-Louisville_Kentucky.html

http://www.4thstlive.com/

Stay downtown new Embassy Suites is awesome and a new Hilton Garden Inn right next to that or The Seelbach across the street. Walking distance to great local food scene, bars etc. 10 min cab ride to stadium. Check the reviews on yelp for all the above.

Stay downtown and Lyft your way around .. if you don't know Lyft, you should. An ap you put on your phone, that is basically a much better version of a cab (cleaner cars, much quicker pick up times, all around better experience). The cost from downtown to the football stadium via Lyft should be around $10.

There are great options provided above ... and I guess it all depends on your age ...

-- 4th Street Live area is very touristy, and great if you're in your low-mid 20's.
-- Downtown area by the river and Yum Center has excellent bar/eateries .... BBC (Bluegrass Brewing Company) local craft beer. Manny and Merles calls itself a Honky Tonnk Hacienda. The green chili pork tacos are amazing. Impellizari's, local pizza place has a great downtown location on Main too. Bearno's By The BRidge is another local pizza place (both types of Za are pretty daggone good). OSheas bar is solid. Troll Pub is solid. Side Bar is solid. And there are several more in this area too.
-- Highlands area is pretty eclectic and you can find pretty much anything you want here (This is basically the Bardstown Road corridor). The Baxter Avenue part of the Highlands has several Irish type pubs (and another OSheas), and the aforementioned Wick's Pizza place, which is another one of our local pizza places has it's main location here.
-- St. Matthews area is another place full of bars/eateries, and is a little further east of the Highlands ... if you stay downtown, you're prolly talking $15ish bucks Lyft ride. Gerstles for live music, Diamonds for pool, Saints for atmosphere, Molly Malone's for irish pub fare, another BBC, ... Drakes for beer/dj type music late ... there's a Tin Roof here too, but that's a UK bar, so I never go. HAHA.

Depending on the length of your stay, there are several museums to check out, if that's your thing. Louisville Slugger is downtown on Main, and the Muhammad Ali Center is also downtown. Several other museums too. Churchill Downs and their museum is out closer to the football stadium, but cool places to visit.

A really cool hotel, but maybe a little pricey, downtown on Main close to the Slugger Museum is 21C. A hotel that features funky interactive art ... If you don't stay there, and are downtown, walk in, and check it out. Proof on Main is their restaurant and bar and a decent place to check out.

Enjoy your trip. I just rewatched our football game from last year yesterday. If only our boy Quick could've finished off that late pass .... Oh well ...

Wow thanks for all the ideas guys. I had planned on coming in Wednesday and leaving late Friday or early Saturday. I may have extend it out a day or so to check out some of this stuff while I am there. Lots of good info for me to sort through. Thanks a ton everyone and I am sure I will have a blast on my visit. I have been to Bowling Green on business a few times and just loved the area in general so I am sure I will also enjoy this trip.

Wow thanks for all the ideas guys. I had planned on coming in Wednesday and leaving late Friday or early Saturday. I may have extend it out a day or so to check out some of this stuff while I am there. Lots of good info for me to sort through. Thanks a ton everyone and I am sure I will have a blast on my visit. I have been to Bowling Green on business a few times and just loved the area in general so I am sure I will also enjoy this trip.
Also when game time nears. CARDS fans are some of the best in the world as long as you don't talk s**t. (See wildcats in Lexington) I am sure you will be more then welcome anywhere in the Green, Red or Bronx lots for awesome tailgating. You will have to like bourbon and beer. LOL

I will be looking for Clemson fans that game to walk up and shake their hands. And thank them for their school's part in our ACC invite...

It will be hard for our fans to outshine the reception we got down at Clemson, but we'll do our best.

Reactions: 65bird
Get tickets from Clemson. They will be the last 2 sections of the northeast side of the stadium. Sections 101 & 201. Better ones will be available at a premium on secondary sites. Seating charts are on Gocards.com

Looking forward to my trip, flying in Wednesday and leaving Sunday staying at the Marriott downtown (I think). There are 8 of us coming in most are flying in but my folks are driving in. I have looked at the parking map and everything looks like season ticket holder parking. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to park and tailgate for us Clemson folks?

Looking forward to my trip, flying in Wednesday and leaving Sunday staying at the Marriott downtown (I think). There are 8 of us coming in most are flying in but my folks are driving in. I have looked at the parking map and everything looks like season ticket holder parking. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to park and tailgate for us Clemson folks?

Southwest corner of Central Ave and 3rd st. Would be good if your staying downtown. It think it's $20. It will fill up so don'the wait till the last min

Take Uber to the stadium and stay downtown and go to the highlands? 10 dollar Uber ride all around that area

For God's sake, no one mentions Churchill Downs??? The track is in session all of September, and you can go Wednesday or Friday while you're here. Or even Thursday, if that's not a night racing date (which would be pretty stupid.) You can even SEE the place from Papa John's.

If you care about thoroughbred racing at all, do not miss

Reactions: SoulSr
Thanks Dave. We are a 5+ hours before kickoff kind of crowd so hopefully that will be enough!
We'll be in that lot...back corner of grass side. 2 of my good Clemson friends coming up and will be there with us as well. Stop by for a drink & grub.

Hey man stop by my tailgate in the Speed School lot, I will be bringing out the good bourbon for that game. Tallest UL flag in the lot, you can't miss me, double UL tents. Clemson fans eat and drink free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT