ADVERTISEMENT

Cards defeat Samford 20-10 in slugfest

nccardfan

Four-Star Poster
Sep 5, 2007
lawrenceburg, KY
Don't know what the conditions were at Patterson but Cards win by a football score 20-10 against Samford. Funkhouser got the start, usually Filomeno gets the Friday start, and got the win but gave up 6 runs? Zach Lucas was the offensive hero with 2 hits and 5 rbis. Gardner also had a couple of rbis as did Rosenbaum and Lyman. Wow!

Was at the game yesterday and I'm starting to feel better about this team. The conditions were 60 degrees but the winds were swirling from different directions all game and gusting up to 30mph I'd guess. This led to a ton of fielding errors especially by Samford.

To me this team may end up being a very good hitting team especially the way the young guys are contributing now. Newcomers Grant Kay, Will Smith and Colin Lyman are all hitting the ball well and Jeff Gardner Zach Lucas are just crushing it. We know Sutton Whiting can hit and is lethal on the bases and Cole Sturgeon has been solid. Danny Rosenbaum has to stay consistent but when he's on he can really be a powerful hitter. Alex Chittenden seems to be struggling a bit at the plate but he's made up for it with his fielding at 3rd base. Catchers Gibson and Crain are both great behind the plate and dependable at bat.

Samford came in at 11-5 and had a good team last year but I know the competition is getting ready to get a whole lot better, still, I like the potential of this team. I guess the big question is going to be starting pitching and finding the right rotation. Sounds like it's Funkhouser/ Ruxer/ Sparger/ Kidston for now.

FWIW that's my 2 cents. GO CARDS!

This post was edited on 3/15 10:39 AM by Louisvillian

The baseball Cards are trying to emulate the hoops Cards in blowouts. Saturday's games were 18-2 (Ruxer won and is 4-1) and 4-2 (McGrath won and is 1-1).

Total score for the series was 42-14. Wait a minute - that's like the football score for our last home game this coming season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT