ADVERTISEMENT

Canada loses basketball gold-medal game to Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiotonic

4000+
Nov 18, 2001
Canada's dream basketball run at the Pan American Games ended in silver Saturday after bowing 86-71 to Brazil when a late charge fell short.

Jamal Murray and Brady Heslip, two of Canada's top shooters, went 0-for-11 in the first 20 minutes. Starting point guard Junior Cadougan was 0-for-4. Brazil, meanwhile, shot 62 per cent (19 of 31).
The Canadian men had hoped to join the women atop the medal podium in Toronto. Instead they produced their worst first half of the tournament against a Brazilian side that kept the scoreboard turning.

A second-half comeback wound up the crowd with Canada reducing the deficit to six in the fourth quarter. Brazil bent but did not break.

Everything went wrong for Jay Triano's team before that. Canadian NBAer Andrew Nicholson, with 11 points, fouled out with 7:53 remaining in the third after picking up a personal and technical foul on the same play.

The Canadians dug themselves a 13-point hole in the first quarter and it got worse in the second quarter. Canada trailed 48-29 after a first half in which it shot a miserable eight-for-35.

The deficit was as large as 25 points in the third.
Trailing 67-54 after three quarters, Canada cut the lead to 69-63 with an 9-0 run early in the fourth that had the Mattamy Athletic Centre rocking. Brazil calmly answered back and pulled down crucial late rebounds to keep Canada away from the ball.

Larry Taylor, Rafael Hettsheimeir and Augusto Lima each had 13 points for Brazil.

Anthony Bennett had 18 for Canada.

The game was played before a loud, largely red-and-white crowd that included chef de mission Curt Harnett. They had little to cheer about early, other than to celebrate the team's run to the final — and its best ever finish at the Games.

The crowd did their best to cheer the Canadians on but Brazil didn't take its foot off the gas. Still sequences like a third-quarter Bennett block and ally-oop dunk had the fans roaring.

The Canadians advanced to the championship game by defeating the Dominican Republic, Argentina and Mexico in pool play before dispatching the United States 111-108 in an overtime thriller.

Brazil downed Puerto Rico, Venezuela and the U.S. in pool play and the Dominican Republic, 68-62, in its semifinal.

Canada's previous top finish at the Games was fourth in 1983. Brazil, which won the tournament in 1999, 2003 and 2007, came into the game with five gold, two silver and six bronze in men's basketball.

Brazil started slowly with a pair of turnovers and two missed three-pointers. But that all changed when the Brazilians, down 11-9, reeled off a 17-0 run during which Canada missed 11 straight shots.

Melvin Ejim finally ended the five minute six-second drought with a bucket with 29 seconds remaining in the first. A shell-shocked Canada, with Bennett on the bench with two fouls, trailed 26-13 at the end of the first quarter.

The Canadians missed their first nine shots in the second quarter. Nicholson, after making a block at the other end, finally sank a three-pointer with four minutes remaining. Brazil led by as many as 19.
Nicholson picked up a third foul with 19.5 seconds remaining in the half.

The Canadians showed more signs of life in the third, producing a late 11-2 run that cut the deficit to 64-50. Canada outscored Brazil 25-19 in the third.

Nicholson (Orlando), Bennett (Minnesota) and Sim Bhullar (Sacramento) are the only three players with NBA experience on Canada's roster.

The Brazilians were missing four NBA players who were part of their 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup team: Leandro Barbosa (Golden State), Anderson Varejao (Cleveland), Nene (Washington) and Tiago Splitter (Atlanta).

Brazil is ranked ninth in the world by FIBA while Canada is No. 25. But those numbers mean little here given countries are not fielding their top squads.

Canada is saving that for the FIBA Americas Championship, which opens Aug. 31 in Mexico City. Triano hopes to have NBAers Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and Kelly Olynyk in the fold then.

The two finalists from the 10-team tournament will qualify for the 2016 Olympics while teams three through five will go to an Olympic qualification tournament.

Canada's dream basketball run at the Pan American Games ended in silver Saturday after bowing 86-71 to Brazil when a late charge fell short.

Jamal Murray and Brady Heslip, two of Canada's top shooters, went 0-for-11 in the first 20 minutes. Starting point guard Junior Cadougan was 0-for-4. Brazil, meanwhile, shot 62 per cent (19 of 31).
The Canadian men had hoped to join the women atop the medal podium in Toronto. Instead they produced their worst first half of the tournament against a Brazilian side that kept the scoreboard turning.

Only uk douchebags go to other boards to post about their own players and recruits. The dumbest fanbase on the face of this earth and it is not even close.

A second-half comeback wound up the crowd with Canada reducing the deficit to six in the fourth quarter. Brazil bent but did not break.

Everything went wrong for Jay Triano's team before that. Canadian NBAer Andrew Nicholson, with 11 points, fouled out with 7:53 remaining in the third after picking up a personal and technical foul on the same play.

The Canadians dug themselves a 13-point hole in the first quarter and it got worse in the second quarter. Canada trailed 48-29 after a first half in which it shot a miserable eight-for-35.

The deficit was as large as 25 points in the third.
Trailing 67-54 after three quarters, Canada cut the lead to 69-63 with an 9-0 run early in the fourth that had the Mattamy Athletic Centre rocking. Brazil calmly answered back and pulled down crucial late rebounds to keep Canada away from the ball.

Larry Taylor, Rafael Hettsheimeir and Augusto Lima each had 13 points for Brazil.

Anthony Bennett had 18 for Canada.

The game was played before a loud, largely red-and-white crowd that included chef de mission Curt Harnett. They had little to cheer about early, other than to celebrate the team's run to the final — and its best ever finish at the Games.

The crowd did their best to cheer the Canadians on but Brazil didn't take its foot off the gas. Still sequences like a third-quarter Bennett block and ally-oop dunk had the fans roaring.

The Canadians advanced to the championship game by defeating the Dominican Republic, Argentina and Mexico in pool play before dispatching the United States 111-108 in an overtime thriller.

Brazil downed Puerto Rico, Venezuela and the U.S. in pool play and the Dominican Republic, 68-62, in its semifinal.

Canada's previous top finish at the Games was fourth in 1983. Brazil, which won the tournament in 1999, 2003 and 2007, came into the game with five gold, two silver and six bronze in men's basketball.

Brazil started slowly with a pair of turnovers and two missed three-pointers. But that all changed when the Brazilians, down 11-9, reeled off a 17-0 run during which Canada missed 11 straight shots.

Melvin Ejim finally ended the five minute six-second drought with a bucket with 29 seconds remaining in the first. A shell-shocked Canada, with Bennett on the bench with two fouls, trailed 26-13 at the end of the first quarter.

The Canadians missed their first nine shots in the second quarter. Nicholson, after making a block at the other end, finally sank a three-pointer with four minutes remaining. Brazil led by as many as 19.
Nicholson picked up a third foul with 19.5 seconds remaining in the half.

The Canadians showed more signs of life in the third, producing a late 11-2 run that cut the deficit to 64-50. Canada outscored Brazil 25-19 in the third.

Nicholson (Orlando), Bennett (Minnesota) and Sim Bhullar (Sacramento) are the only three players with NBA experience on Canada's roster.

The Brazilians were missing four NBA players who were part of their 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup team: Leandro Barbosa (Golden State), Anderson Varejao (Cleveland), Nene (Washington) and Tiago Splitter (Atlanta).

Brazil is ranked ninth in the world by FIBA while Canada is No. 25. But those numbers mean little here given countries are not fielding their top squads.

Canada is saving that for the FIBA Americas Championship, which opens Aug. 31 in Mexico City. Triano hopes to have NBAers Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and Kelly Olynyk in the fold then.

The two finalists from the 10-team tournament will qualify for the 2016 Olympics while teams three through five will go to an Olympic qualification tournament.
Jamal Murray and Brady Heslip, two of Canada's top shooters, went 0-for-11 in the first 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Jamal Murray and Brady Heslip, two of Canada's top shooters, went 0-for-11 in the first 20 minutes.
Only uk posters go to other boards to post about their own players and recruits. The dumbest fanbase on the face of this earth and it is not even close.

Last edited by a moderator:
so...you watched the game?
obsess much?
Obsessed? Typical blue, on a UofL board talking about being obsessed. And you're here why? Because you're a scared, insecure empty head blue hole seeking affirmation from UofL fans........Obsess any? LOL

so...you watched the game?
obsess much?

Wait...you're the guy who oddly keeps calling me out for lurking on the UK boards? The same boards I have been reading and posting on UofL related threads for 5 years now? Hey guys...Blueaz is lurking and posting on the UofL board!!! See how pointless it is to call out the obvious and normal? SMDH

Reactions: Stonewall12
Didn't watch the game, but let me guess...

Brazil (like Wisconsin) is a good team.

Notice a relationship?

"Elite program", my a$$...

I did not see you post bout the game before where he had 22 points in the 4 quarter and OT alone.
The goal was to win the Gold/Championship, sort like uk this past season with all that 40-0 talk. uk didn't go 40-0 nor did you blue holes win the championship.........fail/failure . So I can understand why you rational failure it's in you DNA.

So UL fans are hiding behind Wisconsin and Brazil, just to get one on UK fans?

Where were UL and Puerto Rico?
Neither are probably as good as Wisconsin and Brazil. Unfortunately for LPT kids, THOSE teams are also standing between you and being elite.

Wait...you're the guy who oddly keeps calling me out for lurking on the UK boards? The same boards I have been reading and posting on UofL related threads for 5 years now? Hey guys...Blueaz is lurking and posting on the UofL board!!! See how pointless it is to call out the obvious and normal? SMDH
I, unlike you, don't deny it.
I don't play nice at one and the return to "tattle to Daddy". and you have already thanked me for you future $100.00
Pot meet Kettle...MOD

I don't play nice at one and the return to "tattle to Daddy".
And you have already thanked me for you future $100.00
Pot meet Kettle...MOD
oh, I have never started a thread about a UL recruit and how he played in exhibition game. I have never started a thread about a UL recruit. That is obsessing.
glad to know you are watching me...

I don't play nice at one and the return to "tattle to Daddy". and you have already thanked me for you future $100.00
Pot meet Kettle...MOD

That's the whole point. How (or why) would I possibly deny "lurking" on a board when I regularly post on the board. OF COURSE I lurk (read) the board if I post there. So yes, WE are the pot and the kettle, except I don't make any attempt to call you out for the obvious, as if it's something embarrassing. You may as well call me out as a secret Steelers fan. Duh! SMH

@Cardiotonic, it seems as if you have an issue reading complete sentences. It prefaces the poor shooting performance of Murray and Heslip by saying that those two were the two best shooters on Canada's roster. Not bad at all, especially considering that Murray was the 2nd youngest player that played in that tournament that is filled to the brim with players that have played basketball for many years. Many more than Murray, to say the least.

You probably missed the game where Murray embarrassed Melo Trimble, Malcolm Brogdon, Ron Baker, etc., by scoring 22 points in the 4th quarter and overtime alone.

You probably also missed these statistics:

Finally, ask yourself, is one bad game (which he still ended up scoring 12 points in the 3rd quarter in) worse than getting blasted like Rick did for the duration of the tournament? Nope, not even close.

Cardiotonic this is what you posted about Murray. Take a look

I posted - I did not see you post bout the game before where he had 22 points in the 4 quarter and OT alone.

In response to you posting about his poor shooting performance.

Nothing was brought up about a gold medal.

YOU are the one who deflected the topic.

He is the youngest player on a team with pros playing vs pros. The game before vs Brazil he put Canada on his back and willed them to victory. Not Anthony Bennett the former #1 pick.

The kid is going to be really good. It makes you look really poor to try and run him down.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
The goal was to win the Gold/Championship, sort like uk this past season with all that 40-0 talk. uk didn't go 40-0 nor did you blue holes win the championship.........fail/failure . So I can understand why you rational failure it's in you DNA.
This is an interesting post. Are you saying that every team fails for a given season except the champion? So are you saying that Louisville has failed every season in its history except 3? That would be infuriating as a fan.

This is an interesting post. Are you saying that every team fails for a given season except the champion? So are you saying that Louisville has failed every season in its history except 3? That would be infuriating as a fan.
Don't wanna speak for 'tonic...

But when you have a half dozen or more burger boys on your roster, and you're seeded #1 in the tourney making your path the easiest in most years, you better damn well make the Final Four. And nothing short of the title is an accomplishment at the end of the year.

You make your bed--you lie in it.

Don't wanna speak for 'tonic...

But when you have a half dozen or more burger boys on your roster, and you're seeded #1 in the tourney making your path the easiest in most years, you better damn well make the Final Four. And nothing short of the title is an accomplishment at the end of the year.

You make your bed--you lie in it.

So you are saying that Kentucky did at least what they were supposed to do (make the Final Four), but did not accomplish anything because they did not win the title? Is that accurate?

And you are also saying that if you recruit really well, then it is title or bust? Is that also accurate?

If so, I guess UK should start recruiting a little worse so that the team can "accomplish" something. Personally, I would prefer recruiting as well as possible, making Final Fours consistently, and winning a title every 5-6 years, which is way ahead of the pace of any school historically. But that is just me.

Time to shut this thread down. It was a baiting thread from the beginning that received the expected negative (and understandable IMO) responses from our rivals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT