ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari's announcement

kozmas

4000+
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2011
I thought I posted this yesterday maybe I did it wrong or someone deleted it ( Howie ) but I posted yesterday that Calipari has announced that he will no longer employ the platoon system at sUcK. He said he will go back to his old system ( whatever that was ), I think in Calipari's mind this has a something to do with a lot of the recruits deciding to go elsewhere. Personally I think the recruits are finding out that Calipari doesn't know how to coach and they want to go somewhere they have a chance to win a title.

At least Pitino acknowledges some intelligence on the part of his audience. Calipari just assumes everyone is as stupid as his fanbase.

My best guess is that he felt the platooning thing was being used in negative recruiting against him. And I have to assume it was; I sure would have used it if I was a recruiter. But I also think it won't stop him from signing huge size classes in the future if he has the opportunity. He is a master of spin, and that's being said out of respect, not criticism.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Had a guy (uk fan) tell me today that he won't platoon anymore because other teams are using it against him.

This guy actually said that it has cost them 3 or 4 recruits who COMMITTED TO UK and then other teams talked them out of it! Lol he specifically said that Zimmerman committed and then backed out. Did I miss something?:confused:

Had a guy (uk fan) tell me today that he won't platoon anymore because other teams are using it against him.

This guy actually said that it has cost them 3 or 4 recruits who COMMITTED TO UK and then other teams talked them out of it! Lol he specifically said that Zimmerman committed and then backed out. Did I miss something?:confused:
You only missed that you were speaking to a uk fan and trying to get a rational response. Those are like finding a diamond in a goats a$$.

Personally I think the recruits are finding out that Calipari doesn't know how to coach and they want to go somewhere they have a chance to win a title.

They've been in the FF 4 out of the last 5 years, and that includes a title. I therefore think this statement is silly. Going to UK as a cool fad is finally cooling off some and other programs are now getting more of the OAD's (LSU? lol, what is going on there?)

I give Cal credit for being teh best recruiter the modern game has seen and also for bringing these guys together. It can't be easy to have a complete roster turnover and get all these new, young players to play together every year. I do not give him credit for being a developer of talent, all these players leave UK as the same player they were when they arrived, or perhaps even a regressed player (aka the Harrison twins). Has he ever developed a 2 or 3 star guy into a collegiate star player?

Has he (Calipari) ever developed a 2 or 3 star guy into a collegiate star player?

Josh Harrellson(sp?) maybe? I can't think of any 2 or 3 star players he recruited. As you said, he is possibly the best recruiter of all time (Thanks Uncle Wes!), so he doesn't land a whole lot of 2 or 3 star recruits.

I don't think it is a silly statement to say his coaching sucks, have you seen him on the sideline, he is not yelling plays and using strategy during the games. He is yelling at his superior talent to "rebound","block out", "grab the ball" anybody can do that even grade school kids. I am talking about actually coaching a game and as far as his great recruiting goes you can't even give him credit for that. The recruiting credit would have to go to WWW EVERYBODY knows that.

I don't think it is a silly statement to say his coaching sucks, have you seen him on the sideline, he is not yelling plays and using strategy during the games. He is yelling at his superior talent to "rebound","block out", "grab the ball" anybody can do that even grade school kids. I am talking about actually coaching a game and as far as his great recruiting goes you can't even give him credit for that. The recruiting credit would have to go to WWW EVERYBODY knows that.
Actually he spends most of his times on the sideline working the refs that is what he did in Indy instead of coaching.

Pretty good job with Josh Harrelson
On the other side of the ledger, do we get to list all of the Burger Boys who underachieved under his coaching??

"Elite program", my a$$...

7-1 against uofl.....and yet card fans want to try to criticize his 'coaching'. Hilarrrrrious.

I thought I posted this yesterday maybe I did it wrong or someone deleted it ( Howie ) but I posted yesterday that Calipari has announced that he will no longer employ the platoon system at sUcK. He said he will go back to his old system ( whatever that was ), I think in Calipari's mind this has a something to do with a lot of the recruits deciding to go elsewhere. Personally I think the recruits are finding out that Calipari doesn't know how to coach and they want to go somewhere they have a chance to win a title.

They put this on the ESPN scrolling ticker at the bottom of the TV screen the other day. It's a sad reality that ESPN posts this crap as if it is some breaking news the entire nation needs urgently know about.

Reactions: psteelcard
JC for 3, I think he sucks as a coach and once WWW cuts back on recruiting for sUcK and Calipari is on a level playing field with everyone else it will show how bad he really is. It is easy to look good when you have superior talent.

Such wishful thinking has been created by recruits this year. If you think this is the start of Cal 'declining' as a recruiter, you're kidding yourself.

Such wishful thinking has been created by recruits this year. If you think this is the start of Cal 'declining' as a recruiter, you're kidding yourself.
You mean Cal or WWW...it is decline..platoon system killed him...other schools like Duke showed they can play the OAD game too.

Labissierre, Briscoe, Matthews, Wynyard, Mulder, and now possibly Swannigan or Murray......doesn't look like the platoon system 'killed' anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT